Cambridge Associates, LLC Junior Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Cambridge Associates, LLC Junior Associate Interview Questions

Updated Apr 20, 2017

3.2

Junior Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Interview

HR called me for a phone screen. He was nice and phone questions where easy, but the whole process was rushed and there wasn't enough notice for the following in person interview. The in person interview day was long but everyone asked pretty normal interview questions. Some of the interviews were nicer than others, but no one was gruff or rude. HR said they would get back to me in a few days, but he never notified me of their decision, despite my attempt to reach out to him.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Cambridge Associates, LLC

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Arlington, VA).

Interview

Applied online. Received an email about 4 days later requesting a phone screen. Phone interview was very basic, just ran down my resume. Received an email the next day requesting an interview. It was a super day format where you go in, watch a presentation, and 3 30 minute interviews with managers. The rooms were supposed to be asking different questions, however, it seemed like they were all repeating questions. 2/3 rooms were very cold, with questions being rapid fired.

Interview Questions

• They open the job up to all majors, but wanted a detailed explanation of exactly how they operated.   Answer Question

Junior Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC.

Interview

Applied through campus recruiting, had an interview at school and was then called back for a "super day" at their office. They took me out to lunch and then put me and two other candidates through an hour long information session followed by 2 hours of interviews with four different people.

Interview Questions

• They asked a lot of generic questions about your personality and why you wanted to join Cambridge   Answer Question

Junior Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in September 2014.

Interview

I had a two part processes with an on-campus interview followed by a super interview consisting of 4 interviews. The entire process was quick and after my first interview the recruiter contacted me within 3 days. The interview on campus was mostly resume based questions and pretty typical as far as job interviews go. The super day was pretty long and had many more in-depth and behavior questions.

CA offers candidates traveling 100-500 miles up to $300 reimbursement and those travelling 500+ miles $600 reimbursement for the super interview day, so keep your receipts.

Interview Questions

• What drives you most - fear of failure or love of success?   Answer Question

Junior Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC in August 2014.

Interview

The phone interview was very straightforward and basic - the recruiter asked me to go through my resume and asked the unavoidable "tell me about yourself" question. The goal here was to be able to relate each experience on your resume back to the responsibilities of the Junior Associate position.

I was invited back to the 2nd round, which was the Open House. There was an hour-long presentation on the company and how the MIG fit into the company. Pay attention during the presentation to learn more about the company and the position. After the presentation, there were three 30 minute, back to back, interviews with managers/assistant managers of various teams. It's important to ask for water between interviews, especially because it's easy to strain your throat when talking to so many people. Finally, there was a quick wrap up session.

Within a day or two, I received a call saying that I was invited back to the final round, where I had a transparency session and went through a demo of what I would be doing if I got the position. After the transparency session, I went through a 30 min interview with another manager I hadn't met previously, followed by a more informal round-table with 2 current associates, a writing test, and 2 more interviews: 45 min with the director of the teams/my team manager, and 30 min with the assistant manager/who would be my direct supervisor.

Unfortunately, I was told that while they appreciated my experience and positive attitude, they were looking to "go in another direction". I received the call in 1 business day, though I was told the decision would take 1-2 business days.

Interview Questions

• What do you think is the most uninteresting part of the job and how will you handle that?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Arlington, VA) in February 2013.

Interview

I went through a phone screening, which is very in depth, but mainly asked behavioral questions. They are trying to determined if you will be a good fit. Got called back for an open house, which lasted about 2 and half hours. Main thing to focus on is the presentation about the company. The interview will be heavy on what you've gained from the presentation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Arlington, VA) in January 2013.

Interview

Applied through the LinkedIn posting.

Started off with a phone interview which was pretty basic. They asked about my resume and basically just did a walk-through of my credentials. Making sure your resume is legitimate.

I was called back by HR to come to an extensive "open-house" where me and a couple other candidates were given a more extensive overview of the company, what group we were interviewing with, and what the job entailed, historically.

After the presentations, you go through a rotation of three 30-minute interviews. It was interesting, the order is random, each candidate rotated between the same three guys, who were upper management of the group the job was with. Each guy had different personalities, almost like a weird Good Cop/Bad Cop/Neutral Cop routine. One guy was pretty straight forward, asking about my career goals, some basic situations, as well as gauging how committed to the job I would be (see Most Unexpected question). Another guy was pretty tough, seeming to be purposely not as personable, asking in-depth questions about strengths and weaknesses, as well as how I felt my previous interview went on a scale of 1-10 and why it wasn't a 10 (again, see below). The third guy was very personable, lauding my resume and providing a really good back and forth while discussing my qualifications.

I felt this three-way dynamic was probably more pre-orchestrated than anything, as a means of gauging candidates from multiple angles, and was actually pretty creative, if true.

Sadly, despite what I thought was a really positive conversation all the way around, I got a "going in another direction" email a few days later.

Interview Questions

• 1 interviewer: Would I have to worry about you leaving for another job in a couple of years after taking the time to train you? (paraphrased)   1 Answer
    • 2nd Interviewer: On a scale of 1-10, how was your last interview? Why not a 10?   1 Answer

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Singapore (Singapore)) in July 2012.

Interview

First round - Phone interview

second round - open house and mini interviews

Final round - mini interviews, writing sample

Interview Questions

Other candidates would really appreciate relevant details that affected your decision.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Arlington, VA) in June 2012.

Interview

Phone interview, phase one. Standard questions fairly easy.

Second there is a group interview following a presentation, mostly to see if you can handle yourself and stressful questions.

Finally here was another presentation two group discussion panels, two interviews and a writing sample. Mostly the last part was to make sure that you were a good fit for the job and that long term you would be happy in the position. The manager wasn't convinced i would last more than two years and I didn't get the job.

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Cambridge Associates, LLC (Arlington, VA) in October 2011.

Interview

The hiring process consisted of a phone interview, open house, and second round interview.

Phone interview: The phone interview will be less than 30 minutes and likely conducted by HR. Expect to go over your resume, talk about your greatest accomplishment and biggest weakness. There won't be much time for your questions.

Open House: The open house consists of a presentation about the department and three 20 minute interviews with the group's managers. Be prepared for some hard questions including: Define professionalism, Name three weaknesses using one work for each weakness, What are three things you learned in the presentation earlier, Sell yourself to me, What do you think you'll be doing at this job, Name one positive trait you don't have, etc.

Second Round: The second round will consist of a one on one interview with the Director of the group as well as the manager of the team they think you'll fit best on. You'll also participate at least one round table discussion with people who could be your team members and colleagues. Remember to ask questions. If you're interested in the position, act like it. You'll also do a writing sample, which isn't super challenging.

Bottom line(s):
    - The Junior Associate position is likely in the firm's data group. The data group is extremely high performing and well regarded within the firm. If you don't want to work in a data group, don't apply. But there is opportunity for advancement after you have been at the company for a while, so it's worth it.
    - The position is not client facing, but you do get to interact with individuals that work for investment managers.
    - Professionalism is key! Dress and act the part. Although most people in the department are young, they are professional at work.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There are no negotiations.