Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) Interview Questions

Interviews at Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC)

3.3

Policy Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview questions (3 behavioural type questions) were sent to you in advance - no surprises during the actual interview. The interviewer asked about some current "hot topic" issues and asked me to talk about some relevant experiences. Overall, I found the interviewers were receptive to what I was saying and it wasn't a stressful experience.

Interview Questions

• Please provide an example that demonstrates your ability to analyze information independently and provide strategic recommendations. What steps were taken in this process? What was the final outcome?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Interview

Applied online, received a call from hiring manager to briefly cover my past experience and how it relates to the position.

Within a week, received invite from HR to complete case study and set in-person interview date.

In person interview was with panel of 3 employees and consisted of 6 questions. Took approx. 1hr.

Received verbal offer after 2 weeks.

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in May 2018.

Interview

Before I got to the formal interview, I had several preliminary interviews and exchanges with HR people over the phone. I took an oral language test in my second language and was subsequently requested to take a comprehension and writing test at a regional office. Then I had to prepare a 20-minute oral presentation. I was invited for either a skype interview or an in-person interview in Ottawa with no refund for my expenses. I drove from Montreal to Ottawa for an in-person interview. It was fair and went well. There was four people and I learned that I was considered for the three positions I had applied for. The HR person told me that within two weeks they would make a decision and contact me again. They didn't. I followed-up with them after 4 weeks. They told me they'd get back to me soon. Three to four more weeks passed, and they still didn't, not even when I wrote back to follow-up with them. After three months I contacted them again. A very junior person called me back and before I could say or ask anything he was on the defensive. It wasn't his fault, the manager should have gotten back to me, he personally did his job well, it took long but this is the same with the federal government, etc. No empathy at all. I learned that they cancelled one of the positions and that they hired internally for the other two. No consideration whatsoever for my time and interest. I am left with a negative image of this organization and the people who work there.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in December 2010.

Interview

Contacted by HR. interview was scheduled. HR sent a list of questions that would be asked in advance. So I could prepare. The first interview was a panel of three. It included my
    Direct reporting supervisor and 2 other finance managers. The next 2 interviews were unscripted. More specifically directed towards my knowledge of CMHC as well as behavioural questions

Negotiation

Negotiate your initial salary within the pay scale if you have more experience then job requires

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC).

Interview

Quick and very interactive. It was a warm and welcoming environment where I immediately knew I wanted to work there. The facility is well positioned and parking is free therefore I didn't have to worry about that part.

Interview Questions

• Describe a work situation where you had to juggle multiple deadlines and how did you manage them.   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in June 2014.

Interview

A series of hypothetical behavioural questions, and a series of hypothetical problem solving questions, and a presentation.

There was a panel of managers, and you are in a board room with them. There is a very rigorous process they must go through for transparency reasons, as it is a government organisation. For this reason, they focus highly on technical/industry related proficiency, and less on softer skills.

...I ultimately was hired for a different position, and have seen the process from both sides.

Interview Questions

• Tell us of a time that you were innovative in your career?   1 Answer

Volunteer Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) (Vancouver, BC (Canada)).

Interview

They sent an email inviting me to the interview through their online careers system. The interview was with a three-person panel, but they were very friendly. They asked behavioural and situational questions specific to volunteer management.

Interview Questions

• They asked me about my experience with specific volunteer management computer programs.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in June 2014.

Interview

1st step. Apply online
    2nd step. Get asked for a phone interview
    3rd step. Complete phone interview & get a in person interview
    4th step. Complete (panel style) interviews that ask mostly behavioural questions

Before going in for your interview make sure to read up on CMHC. Know about the history, the culture and the importance of CMHC in the role crown corporations have in protecting the Canadian people.

Be prepared to answer questions to your statements on CMHC

Interview Questions

• They ask you primarily behavioural questions. Make sure to answer truthfully and thoroughly.

In case you don't know how to answer behavioural questions make sure to answer using the S.M.A.R.T model.

Specific – target a specific area for improvement.
      Measurable – quantify or at least suggest an indicator of progress.
      Agreed upon – specify who will do it.
      Realistic – state what results can realistically be achieved, given available resources.
      Time-related – specify when the result(s) can be achieved.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiating

Senior IT Person Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in August 2014.

Interview

There were two interviews, one was a phone interview and one was an in person interview in front of three or four person board. It was relaxed and easy. There was plenty of time for the amount of questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe a challenging situation and explain how you worked through the process and what was the result.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) in August 2015.

Interview

the interview is behaviour based so make sure that you have good example that describes the situation, action and results. Be specific and detailed. The panel is looking to hear how your example will contribute to the role you are applying for. The panel was made of three people. They take turns asking you questions. I was had 6 questions.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell us a time when you had to think out of box to resolve an urgent question for your client. what did you do ?   Answer Question