Canadian National Railway Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 6, 2017

2.4

Freight Conductor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fond du Lac, WI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Canadian National Railway (Fond du Lac, WI).

Interview

Failed the switch test by one. Will try again in 6 months. Make sure you are well rested and alert. Test takes a lot of thought. Don't overthink it and you will be fine.

Conductor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Green Bay, WI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Canadian National Railway (Green Bay, WI).

Interview

Online assessment, invitation to hiring session. Switch test and face to face interview. If you've previously worked as a class 1 conductor for another railroad don't bother. They will not hire you.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pueblo, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Canadian National Railway (Pueblo, CO) in October 2016.

Interview

After applying through the CN site, a HR representative called to set up an interview. The interview was web based through Webex. In attendance were the HR representative I spoke with on the phone, the senior manager of the group, a former manager of the group, and a team leader of a similar group.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever changed the minds of your colleagues after they were initially opposed to an idea you had presented?   Answer Question

Carman Apprentice Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gladstone, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Canadian National Railway (Gladstone, MI) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online during February of 2015, the process was surprisingly fast. I flew out to Michigan and because of my previous training I was told that I would be months ahead of any other applicant they would normally interview. They asked me question about the Airbrake Test and the common Gages Carman use daily. They seemed to enjoy the answers I gave them and I'm hoping to hear back.

Diesel Locomotive Electrician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Homewood, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Canadian National Railway (Homewood, IL) in January 2015.

Interview

This was my second time interviewing for this position in a 3 month time window. First interview I wasn't selected....but because of my persistence i'm guessing this was why I was selected this time around. I accepted the offer, and currently awaiting my background and drug test results to clear.

Interview Questions

• What is your definition of safety?   1 Answer
    • If we were to contact your former employer, what 3 things would they say about you?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to be resourceful.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Union position, wages weren't negotiable.

Train Conductor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Canadian National Railway.

Interview

orientation and that weeds out the nobodys. Then they interview and you wait. You take a basic test at the interview regarding switching operation and the movements you would do to make a train. Very simple but you have to do better than a 90% to move on in the process.

Interview Questions

• Questions regarding the train operation and rules. 150 questions and have to know ALL signals   1 Answer

Negotiation

N/A

Freight Conductor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Canadian National Railway (Memphis, TN) in May 2014.

Interview

Apply online, receive email with online assessment, two hours to complete, then invited for interview. Mass interview with about 25 other applicants, complete a "switching" test and then oral board interview with give me an example type questions. Very informal.

Interview Questions

• Give me a time when you had to work with others and it did not turn out well.   Answer Question

Junior Railroader- Co-op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Canadian National Railway (Chicago, IL) in March 2013.

Interview

Had to fill out the required paperwork and documentation. Got a phone interview. They asked simple behavioural questions and about my resume. Nothing technical or hard, fairly simple and straight forward.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiating available for co-ops

Signal Maintainer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jackson, MS

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Canadian National Railway (Jackson, MS) in January 2012.

Interview

Face to face with supervisor who was very easy to talk to very laid back and asked questions that pertained to job as long as you have skills that job requires the interview is very easy

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Canadian National Railway (Chicago, IL) in September 2011.

Interview

Was good face-to-face interview, not tough...but that depends on interview of course. Was screen first by recruiting firm over a month, then had one phone interview, then face-to-face interview. Once negotiated salary took over month to go through security and drug checks/tests. I think the interview process varies greatly in this corporation.

Negotiation

Asked for more and it was a challenge to even get 2.5% increase. That said taking the job was a big pay increase.