Canadian Pacific Railway Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Canadian Pacific Railway Interview Questions

Updated Apr 26, 2017

3.1

Executive Driver Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Canadian Pacific Railway.

Interview

Behavioral interview questions. One on one with manager and human resources. Basics of the job and resume oriented. Process took weeks. On site interview in office. Applied online and kept in touch via emails and phone calls.

Service Center Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Canadian Pacific Railway (Minneapolis, MN) in June 2015.

Interview

1) Initial phone interview 2) Then a half-day "job preview" that consisted of skills assessment (math and typing tests), job shadowing and behavioral interview.

The behavioral interview consisted of four separate questions and were fairly easy to answer. The interview was conducted by two supervisors who worked in the department for which I was applying. Although each of the questions was open ended, each of the interviewers asked questions and wanted further details when I answered.

If you have had any type of customer service experience, the behavioral interview will be a breeze as long as you take your time and answer the questions that they are asking.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to act on something important, but were unprepared to do so.   Answer Question

The job requires to be on call 24/7 and mandatory overtime. If I was younger and didn't have young children, I would be all over this job. The benefits and pay are excellent, but they expect you to devote your life to the company and job.

Field Operations and Support Servicesq Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Canadian Pacific Railway (Minneapolis, MN) in April 2015.

Interview

They were all behavior interviews requiring you to state in detail on how you have handled previous situations, the exact out come, and how you could have possible done a better job with handling difficult situations; with zero training from Management on how to address these issues as they arose.

Interview Questions

• Cite a specific example of when you were faced with a customer that had nothing but problems and how you diffused the situation to make it beneficial for the customer and the company.   1 Answer

Trainmaster Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Canadian Pacific Railway (Kansas City, MO) in July 2014.

Interview

There are tons of behavioral questions that may or may not have real world application. They're designed to determine the interviewee's character traits, but often lead to a stumbled response or someone who can "dazzle with BS"

Interview Questions

• Multiple behavioral questions, many of which as you to "Describe a time that you have exhibited such and such trait"   Answer Question
    • Q: What was one thing that they asked you?   1 Answer

Conductor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Canadian Pacific Railway (Detroit, MI) in May 2014.

Interview

Long long long long tedious and a monotony filled experience if I ever had one truly difficult to get on cp rail, one of the highest paying railroads but most difficult to get hired with

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you worked in adverse weather conditions and were highly stressed   Answer Question

Cnductor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Canadian Pacific Railway (New York, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

The interview was conducted on the phone and the questions asked were more of behavioral and personality questions. They told me of all the major challenges associated with the job especially the schedule and the fact that relocation is a must. You will begin your career in a remote location and then gradually you will be promoted to the city.

Interview Questions

• Just Personal Questions. They were more interested in knowing if you can cope with the schedule (Life style)   Answer Question

Conductor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Canadian Pacific Railway (Saint Paul, MN) in December 2013.

Interview

Was a basic behavioral interview with a focus on working all shifts and safety processes. It was a one on one interview and they were short questions. I felt like I had the job when I was at the interview.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you saw an employee violating a ruke   Answer Question

Railroad Conductor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Canadian Pacific Railway (Winnipeg, MB (Canada)).

Interview

Short, straight to the point, the people were very accommodating, they supplied water to make you feel no pressure, asked a lot of questions, had opportunities to ask them questions about who they are and how long they all worked for the railway for.

Interview Questions

• What does safety mean to you?   1 Answer

Data Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Canadian Pacific Railway.

Interview

I applied through an agent and had two rounds of interviews. Unlike the normal interview processes I had had before, I was interviewed firstly by the hiring managers and his supervisor and key partners. It went pretty well and I could feel a lot of sparks. Just a few hours later I was invited to another round of interview with the "peers", which ended up a tricky experience.

There was a panel of four people from a variety of technical backgrounds, which was just normal. But to my surprise, they asked a very wide range of questions, from database schema design, DB performance tuning, Dimensional Modelling, Log-based database replication, Dashboards design, to data mining models. They even asked me to explain how to create a predictive model using the data provided in the meeting. I was actually glad to be able to address all the questions thanks to my solid background and experiences in BI and DM areas. Only after finished the interview I realised it's not a usual case for a "data specialist" role. Seriously, it's intense enough for a full stack data scientist/ data engineer. Isn't it?

A week after I heard from the agent that I was not offered, which was a bit disappointing but not too bad. But guess what, the reason they claimed is "inability to communicate with the team".

Seriously?

The candidate could have a great conversation with the bosses but was unable to communicate with the staffs? A candidate who had been working as a professional in the area for 10+ years?

PS, one of the "peer" who interviewed me was just promoted as the head of the dept.

Nice job. Congrats and good luck.

Interview Questions

• Wide range of questions. Here're a few examples:

What's the difference between database replication and ETLs?

WHat's the best way to plot multi-dimension data chart?

What's the difference between snow-flake and star schemas?

Explain how to predictive model for a given business question?

And much more.
      Answer Question

Supervisor Mechanical Interview

Anonymous Employee in Moose Jaw, SK (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Canadian Pacific Railway (Moose Jaw, SK (Canada)) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online, and received an initial call from HR to do some basic questions about my background. I then was invited in for an interview with the manager, which was a behaviour based interview. The questions were quite difficult. After that I had a conference call with the manager, a senior manager, and an even more senior manager that lasted about an hour going over my work history with a few easier questions than the behavior based interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you made a mistake in your judgement call and how it effected your workplace.   Answer Question