Canalys Research Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Canalys

3.5

Interviews for Top Jobs at Canalys

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Canalys (Palo Alto, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

The interview process was fairly straightforward. I had an initial phone screen with a recruiter, which was followed one week later with a Skype interview with a team member in Singapore. A week afterwards, I was asked to complete an intermediate-level Excel assessment and write a short argumentative synthesis based on 45 minutes of research. After that, I was asked to come in for an on-site interview. The first part consisted of standard interview questions, and the second part involved a case study presentation that I had a week to prepare for. It was a relatively straightforward prompt, it just requires a bit of advanced preparation. One week after this on-site interview I had a final call with a company executive. This was the final step of the process and a week afterwards I received a positive response from the company. I couldn't have been more excited!

Interview Questions

• Who are the top 3 biggest smartphone manufacturers in the USA? What about worldwide?   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Canalys

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Canalys (Reading, England (UK)) in August 2016.

Interview

Skype interview, followed by writing exercise and excel test. Then phone interviews and on-site interview with presentation I had to prepare. Lastly, lunch with several employees, to test social skills, quite important for the job.

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Canalys (Shanghai, Shanghai (China)) in March 2013.

Interview

I took 4 distinct interviews with HR people, Research Director, their Singapore team, and Senior Analysts respectively in one months. The feedback I heard is always positive. Eventually, I was told they were working on my offer letter last Friday. But they changed mind after that and went for a guy with five-year experience, which they claim is not the point in their consideration.

Interview Questions

• Mostly general questions about your background and interests. Unexpected Questions is always about market. The interviewer question my personal opinion about development of Windows, Macintosh. Case study is relatively easy about goal-oriented question. "How do you evaluate the Success of Win Phone?" The whole interview process, including Presentation and Q&A section, is logically consistent. No super-difficult question, No brain-teaser or out-of-boundary question have been asked.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Canalys (Singapore (Singapore)) in September 2015.

Interview

The job interview process requires several rounds, as shared by my job agent. First, it is an Excel test that must be completed on the computer. The questions are not difficult, mainly about CAGR and % changes. And also to write an essay of 500 words based on a question given, related to the IT industry. Research using Google is allowed. My job agent was quite unethical, as she was desperate to get more potential candidates and even told me hints about the tests before I do it. Though it didn't help much, but I felt it was inappropriate for her to do so.

After passing the test consisting of excel questions and the essay, there will be a phone interview conducted by one of the senior research analyst. The phone interview is to access if they want to see you for the next final round which will be a f2f interview that may involve a presentation too. I didn't manage to pass the phone interview, however. The phone interview wasn't a pleasant experience. The interviewer was very strict and was not flexible. Even if the answers given were logically correct but not the exact answer he wanted, he will not hesitate to shoot your answers down. So my answers were just consistently getting shot down by him, even when some of his "arguments" were unnecessary. For example, when he asked about my interest in IT industry, one of my point was that I enjoyed reading up tech news even during my free time. I mean, this is an open-ended question that is not supposed to have any right or wrong answers, but he claimed that what I said is not valid, as this is perfectly normal especially in this era whereby technology is highly advanced. His unfriendly attitude made the entire interview process extremely negative, and this was literally the worst interview experience I ever had in my life.

I would advise interviewers from this company not to shoot down everything that the candidate has said, as you are just demoralising your potential candidate. Just judge for yourself in your mind whether you think the answer given is good or not, or simply ask more questions if you have doubts. I don't see a point in driving the candidate to a corner by disproving everything he or she said incessantly.

Interview Questions

• Why IT industry? What do you think will be a good communication device that can be invented in the future? How are you going to measure number of cats in Malaysia? Anything you do that has significant impact in work or school? What are some difficulties you face working with people of different cultures?   Answer Question