Canary Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Canary

2.9

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Canary (New York, NY) in November 2015.

Interview

Contacted by email to schedule phone interview with associate department head. Had phone interview and then came in for in-person interview. During in person interview, met with recruiter, department head and associate head. Everyone was very nice and friendly.

Industrial Design Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Canary.

Interview

The process was fast and fun. Within 2 hours of emailing my Resume and Portfolio to Canary I received an email from James, the lead Industrial Designer. We set up a phone interview that week that lasted about an hour or so. The questions were pretty straight forward, along with a couple to gauge my understanding of ID. It was by far my favorite interview to date, because you could really tell how genuinely passionate he was about the company. The transparency during the interview was also refreshing and honest. About a week later, I received an email letting me know that they decided to go with a more experienced candidate. While I did not get the internship, I received some great motivational feedback and even an offer to put in a good word for me in the NYC area.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Canary (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

One phone interview with a senior team member followed by an onsite interview. I was coming from the opposite coast, and the interview arrangements were excellent. The onsite was a series of interviews with prospective team members, and they all started right on time. Questions tested coding, systems and troubleshooting, and also went over my background.

Got an offer the very next day, but declined for personal reasons.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Canary in January 2015.

Interview

Phone screen with someone who did not speak enough English to clearly communicate the coding question. I didn't learn that it was a technical interview until 45 minutes before it started.

Platform Engineer Interview

Interview

Call with external recruiter and tech lead. Afterwards, I was requested to complete a project. I completed it within the acceptable time frame of a week, was scheduled for an onsite interview, and ultimately they cancelled the night before sending an apology saying that they hired someone else without giving me a shot for an onsite. It takes more courage to call someone and apologize rather than send a generic email. Please don't hand out projects to people expecting them to complete it satisfactorily and not giving them a shot at an interview. What a waste of time.

Executive Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Canary in February 2016.

Interview

Went through a few phone interviews - the original with a manager in recruiting, who was very kind and easy going. The second was with the head of staff, she had the opposite personality. Not very easy to read, but overall an OK experience. I thought it went well, but in the end they ghosted me, which I find pretty unprofessional, especially after a series of interviews...

Interview Questions

• 1. Name a crisis you've experienced in the workplace and explain how you handled it.
      2. What are your strengths & weaknesses?
      3. Why do you want to work for Canary?   Answer Question

Customer Support Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Canary.

Interview

This was a long process. First I had a phone interview with a girl in HR who was very real, no fluff. It was pleasant, but it was hard to tell if it went well in actuality. It turned out it did go well because I was then scheduled to have an interview with the head of the Customer Experience department. It went really well so they brought me in for an in-person interview. The in-person interview was one of the longest interviews I've ever been on-- but that does not mean it was a poor experience. I honestly thought it went very positively. Most of the questions were very average. I interviewed with people in the department who were great, a couple HR people (the same girl in the phone interview who was a little more tough in person), and the CEO. That was the quickest, but that makes sense. Overall I met with 6 people over a two hour span. I felt really good about it, but unfortunately they told me a few days later that they were "going in another direction." Oh well!

Interview Questions

• Usually people don't stay at their first job for as long as two years, what made you decide to stay with yours?   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Canary (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

Phone Interview with Manager, On-site interview at their old office with about 3 people from the team I was joining and was asked about my experience and to see my old code, Coding challenge at home for them to see my skills

Head of Customer Experience Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Canary (New York, NY) in February 2014.

Interview

There was a phone screen to ensure that I had the requisite skill set. I came into the office for a round of culture interviews. After this I met with the people who had been handling the customer experience and their managers. Next I met with all 3 founders. They move quickly, so there tends to be overlapping interviews on the same day.

Interview Questions

• They asked me what I would do to grow my department (Taking into account their rapid development processes and customer acquisition) and the steps I would take. I loved the challenge of thinking that far forward, and they in turn loved the response.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very easy. They sent over the NDA and contracts. I liked the generous offer and accepted.

Data Platform Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Canary (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

Initially contacted via email for an HR phone screen, followed by a technical Google Hangouts interview with the hiring manager. This interview involved a realtime coding challenge of moderate difficulty in the language of my choice. After the interview I was invited to complete a take-home coding test that involved solving a common data streaming problem.

After passing the take home test, I was invited to come in for an in-person interview. This involved speaking to a few different people, including the hiring manager again, two developers on the data team as well as some other engineers in different departments. The questions were all fair and relevant, and everyone seemed smart and passionate about their work.

Although I believe I did a great job on the initial screening and take home test, I think in the end I did not do as well as I could have on some of the in-person whiteboard architectural design discussions. I really feel that Canary did a great job on their end and I'm overall very happy with my interview experience.

Interview Questions

• Write an application that passes all unit tests to properly process a moving average of an incoming stream of data in realtime   Answer Question
    • Whiteboard design discussion around building a real world streaming data pipeline for sensor data from millions of IoT devices   Answer Question