Cantor Fitzgerald Why Should I Wait Around for Your Call? Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1 Candidate Interview ReviewBack to all Interviews

Why Should I Wait Around for Your Call? Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cantor Fitzgerald (New York, NY) in September 2010.

Interview

I had a phone interview with "x". The recruiter that I dealt with at an outside agency had confirmed that it would occur at a specific time, and that X would call me directly on my cell phone. I am employed and I have no privacy at work. Therefore, I had arranged with my boss that I would come to work later, and had told my boss that I had a doctor’s appointment. The recruiter knew this too. I did not expect X to treat this as a casual un-announced phone call that could occur at any time of the day. The designated time came and went, but I did not receive a call from X. I also contacted the recruiter at the agency to find out if X had notified her that she needed to reschedule. The recruiter had not been contacted so she suggested that X had an emergency and was unable to call to cancel the phone interview. Finally, 40 minutes after the designated time, X called me. I expected that she had a true emergency because she had not called me immediately to reschedule. She told me matter-of-factly that she was pulled away to an impromptu, urgent, meeting and she failed to apologize to me for the 40 minute delay, or the lack of prompt communication to reschedule it. Why couldn't she tell the manager who requested an impromptu meeting "Yes, I can meet with you, but I have a candidate expecting my call. I'll quickly call the candidate to tell him that I can't conduct the phone interview now and then I'll be right with you." Surely, a senior manager should reasonably understand that X, a manager too, with her own scheduled obligations, will be able to join the impromptu meeting quickly once she notifies the candidate of the cancellation. Or, if X was too busy, why didn’t X request her colleague or assistant to call me to say that X needed to reschedule? What if she was supposed to call a candidate for a Senior Vice President role? Do you think that she would have been so inconsiderate to keep the SVP candidate waiting 40 minutes? At my company, when we schedule a conference call or an in-person meeting, it happens when it is supposed to happen, or else it is promptly rescheduled at the start of the designated time, or in advance. We don’t keep anyone “hanging”. It is not proper. This is a total disregard on X's part for my time, and any time commitments I have to my current employer. It is also a basic failure to communicate. This isn't rocket science here. The recruiter took the position that X is their client and that X has the right to keep me waiting without any call to reschedule. I respectfully disagree. I am applying for a position at a firm. If this is how this company treats candidates, I wonder how much respect they show their current employees, former employees, and the NYC community? This is a global investment bank. I expect more professionalism. What if I had been at work and she had called me at the designated time but my boss had suddenly entered my workspace and demanded an impromptu meeting? I am sure that she would have thought me disrespectful of her time if she had called me for a scheduled conference call or phone interview and I did not call her back promptly or notify her that I needed to reschedule After reading the comments on this website that current employees think that the HR department is disorganized and that senior management is arrogant, I agree with them. I believe in treating my colleagues, customers, and vendors respectfully. X may treat other candidates this way. This may be her Modus Operandi and it may be a reflection of the corporate culture at Cantor Fitzgerald. I do not recommend this company to candidates. There are other employers out there, particularly other investment banks, that treat their candidates with more respect and consideration.

Each time I was in contact with employees and the management of this company, I had a bad experience due to their failure to communicate in a timely manner and their disorganization. I prefer to work for an employer that is organized and communicates timely to people.