CapTel Interview Questions in Madison, WI | Glassdoor

CapTel Interview Questions in Madison, WI

Updated Dec 13, 2016

2.1

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at CapTel (Madison, WI) in November 2016.

Interview

Very nice ladies in recruiting--the receptionists were helpful in filling out the application online, then after a phone interview I was brought in for a skills assessment. Pretty basic skills tested, reading, spelling, repeating words, identifying errors, typing, etc., and then a more standard Q&A. We reviewed any time off I had coming up, and my availability for the position. The Recruiter was knowledgeable about the position, and I was offered a position on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in working here?   1 Answer

Application

Interview

I went in the main doors of the building, greeted the receptionist - a perfectly pleasant and professional woman with the brightest purple hair I've ever seen. She told me to wait in a chair in the lobby, so I did. A few minutes later, the woman who interviewed me came through a set of doors to my right, and escorted me down the hall to her office. There she asked a few basic questions about my understanding of what the company does, and gave me a few tests, including a spelling test, a typing speed test and a test to demonstrate my ability to repeat what was said to me over a set of headphones. I passed all the tests except the speech test, which she said she didn't pass the first time either. She gave me a slip of information (resources for practicing that skill) and told me to call back after doing some practice to schedule another interview to retest. She said if I pass that one, I will have the job.

Interview Questions

• Can you explain what a CapTel Captioning assistant does?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at CapTel (Madison, WI) in May 2015.

Interview

I emailed in the application and got a call the next morning to schedule an interview. I was able to schedule one for the following day. I interviewed with a very nice woman. To begin, I did a reading test (aloud), a spelling test, an error detection test, a revoicing test (repeating what you hear on a headset as you listen), and a typing test. Revoicing was demonstrated before the test. I was also given practice sentences for revoicing and typing before I was properly tested. For the error test, I just had to listen to a recording and follow along on a sheet, crossing out all the wrong words. The typing test only required 35 wpm with <5% error, which was easily accomplished. I had to listen to a recording, which I could pause with a pedal, and type what was being said. None of the tests were particularly difficult, and the most difficult parts allowed practice runs.

Trainer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CapTel (Madison, WI) in September 2014.

Interview

They posted a flyer and then selected candidates for interviews. You then sat down with the head of the training department and a recruiting manager to discuss your skills and fit for the position. You then had to give a presentation, which they previously gave you a handout on, explaining one of the basic skills of the job as if you were leading an incoming class of captionists.

Interview Questions

• Have you dealt with diverse individuals, including age, socioeconomic status, race, sexual orientation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at CapTel (Madison, WI) in August 2014.

Interview

Applied online, got a call within hours and set up an interview for a following day. You must complete a skills test prior to doing a Q&A--reading, spelling, typing, and practicing their "revoicing" (the skill you'll use as a CA). If you don't get the revoicing but do well on the other skills, you can come back for a retest. I passed the first time and was hired on the spot. Training started at $8/hr when I began (now it's $9something) and you must be able to work a weekend shift, no exceptions. Give an availability you know you can stick with, as it's hard to change later (must wait 60 days before making a change). There are benefits for full-time employees--after 90 days you can get PTO, after 6 months you get dental, and after a year you can get health insurance. If you want to take time off, get it approved at least a month an advance!

Interview Questions

• Strengths/weaknesses, ask about previous employment (why&#039;d you leave...)   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at CapTel (Madison, WI).

Interview

The interview is fairly standard although you are expected to bring in a letter you have written about the CapTel phone addressed to a potential customer. Interviewers take questions directly from your resume, so be ready to answer how your past positions directly relate to Customer Service or working with either the deaf/hard of hearing or with seniors.

Interview Questions

• Probably the typical 5 weaknesses and trying to relate all your past experiences to the position you are interviewing for. Other difference is that the director is deaf, so there will be an interpreter in the interview also. It can be a little jarring if you are not used to that,   Answer Question

Negotiation

Only negotiations were about scheduling, work times.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CapTel (Madison, WI).

Interview

I was hired from within--started as a CA and responded to a job posting in the breakroom. There was a brief phone interview, and then an interview at the office. They asked general questions about troubleshooting and CS skills and experience--nothing unexpected. Next, I had the chance to awkwardly be walked around the building and introduced to every person working that day.

Interview Questions

• They'll ask about your familiarity with the deaf and hard of hearing community. CapTel's parent company originally produced TTY machines for largely younger deaf people; now with the CapTel phone, the customer base is mostly the elderly. There is still some element of the deaf/HoH culture within the company and its management.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation--they basically offered the job on the spot. The base pay is the same for every employee.

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at CapTel (Madison, WI).

Interview

It was very easy going, I went in to meet the hiring manager. She asked me a series of questions and was all around very easy to talk to. At some point in the interview you're asked to try what you'll have to be doing on the job. This is to see if you will be able to learn to do the job asked of you, or already ready to do the job asked of you. In addition to this there is a simple spelling test.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question I think in any interview is, "Do you have any questions for me?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to get the starting pay that all Captioning Assistants start with and I was able to get a job. Which at that time was good enough for me. There was no real negotiating just a sort of "We WILL call you back" type of response.

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at CapTel (Madison, WI) in December 2013.

Interview

One on one meeting with a nice young woman named Katie, took the typing test, grammar test, listened to a script and typed what I heard and then took the spelling test and was hired on the spot.
    I began the extensive training, and then after I completed the training I was shadowed and observed and then was able to caption on my own. The way you're trained there you will never feel like your unclear on how to do your job.

Interview Questions

• Are you able to maintain and consistent work schedule, how many times were you tardy at your past job.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at CapTel (Madison, WI) in April 2012.

Interview

Very simple interview, it is one on one and they asked about knowledge of what the company does and have a brief testing where they let you demonstrate your abilities to do the job, took a spelling test and answered a few common interview questions. If you can spell and do talk to text you will be good.