Capco Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 13, 2017

2.9

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Capco (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

All candidates (~30) are brought out to their beautiful NYC office located on Water Street. Upon arrival teams of 4 were already broken down by color. Breakfast was all set out, and allowed for associates to mingle with one another. We were then brought to a room to play an ice breaker game (two truths and a lie), and introduced to all the "judges" of that day.

After that, pictures were taken of each team, and then split up to do the different challenges for the day. The challenges were broken down into 3 different phases...

1. Speed Interview/Questions. - This part of the interview involved sitting down with one of the "judges" (also Capco employees). They ask questions which can range from something as elementary as "If you were to post your facebook status to anything right now, what would it be
    ?" to "What is the size of the bubble gum market (in $ value) in north america."

2. Email Exercise - During this step, 10 candidates were put in a room, with computers and a pack of papers that contained a bunch of emails from your hypothetical boss. From this packet of emails, you had 20-30mins (can't remember the specific time) to answer your boss in an email (submitted by google docs). You had to make the email concise, and summarize RISKS, ISSUES and ACTIONABLE ITEMS from the packet of papers you received.

3. Case - In this final step, we were brought back with our group, and put in an office. In this office, we were given a case study on the financial services industry, and how Bank X could increase their digital space. We had to come up with one solution/recommendation & present it to our judges in 30 mins. Remember to time yourselves, because no one else will time you. You must also ask for the necessary equipment and materials you would need to present. They want you to think on your feet!

After everything was complete, we debriefed, met the partners and had lunch in the cafeteria & went home!

Interview Questions

• Q: You have a rectangular piece of cake, if an uneven piece is taken from it, how do you cut 2 equal pieces?
      Q: What is your life motto?
      Q: Estimate the bubble gum industry market size in NA?
      Q: If you were to post your facebook status to anything right now, what would it be
      ?
      Q: What is the CEOs name?
      Q: Is CAPCO publicly traded?
      Q: Who is CAPCOs parent company?
      Q: You have seeds, a goose and a fox. You need to bring all of them over to the other side of the river, one by one. However, if you leave the seeds with the goose, the goose will eat the seeds. If you leave the fox with the goose, the fox will eat the goose. You can only bring them over one at a time.
      Q: You have a 3 gallon pale and a 5 gallon pale, and an unlimited supply of water. How do you make 4 gallons?
      Q: How many gas stations are there in NYC?
      Q: How big is the square footage of this building?
      Q: what is the company's slogan?
      1 Answer

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Capco.

Interview

I had 2 in person interviews. The first one was very nice. The second one was the snarkiest person I have ever had the misfortune to interviewed with. She constantly scoffed at and laughed at everything I said and, on multiple occasions, accused me of lying or being incorrect (e.g. when I said I wanted to learn technical skills like learning how to use numbers in Excel). She was very rude and overall did not make me feel welcome.

Examples:
    Me: "So what kind of skills do you look for in an intern?"
    Her: "*scoff* We don't just hire anyone."
    Me: "......."
    Her: "Do you have any more questions?"

Me: "I want to learn soft skills like presenting and talking to people and technical skills like learning about numbers thr---"
    Her: "Ha that's not a TECHNICAL SKILL"
    Me: "What?
    Her: "What do you think a technical and soft skill is?"
    Me: "A soft skill is like communication and a technical skill is like Excel or Coding"
    Her: "Yeah. That's right."

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in Capco
      Tell me about yourself
      What do you want to learn

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Capco (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

​Capco - Positive experience, process took 3 business days

Reached out to the recruiter. I was called for the interview next day, with 3 in-person 30 minutes each. When I got there, I was told that there,s a case study in the room. I could choose one of them, from Business analyst's perspective or as a project manager. I chose Project manager. As I was working on it, one of the interviewers came and started the interview round. He was a managing principal, and started telling about his background, about Capco and then we spoke a little about the case study I did.

Walk me through your resume, mostly behavioral
    Last question was if there was anything you could tell me about yourself, that I can remember you by? I guess they need you to list a "fun fact" about you. Something random.

Next, interviewer was a Principal consultant. She walked in saying she was the acting 'client' for whom I had done the case study. I explained to her and also used some of the pointers from my previous discussion. Again mostly behavioral and this round went really well. She answered a lot of questions regarding work for me. And hinted how they like their consultants to get involved in activities beyond work. On her way out she mentioned that this was a robin round and how I will meet with the partner next.

Next, the partner came in and this is where I did my best. By now I had a pretty good idea of what they are looking for and this was mostly him telling me about what the work was like. We went over my resume again briefly but mostly this felt like a conversation than an interview. This was on a Friday night, so after the weekend I got a call for a second round, where I met another principal consultant and managing partner. The interview lasted 30 minutes each and within two hours, recruiter called with the verbal offer. Most questions were experience based.

I was interviewing at multiple places along with Capco, but they were way more efficient in the process than everywhere else. They move fast, and there is complete transparency throughout the process. The longest wait was

Interview Questions

• Case study: You are a project manager and the client needs you to build a new trade capture tool. what will be your key priorities in the first 3 weeks?   1 Answer
    • How did you resolve conflict within the team/ dealt with a difficult co-worker?   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Capco in February 2016.

Interview

First call was a phone interview basically just going over my resume and why financial consulting. I really liked the girl. Second was a Skype interview because I was not from the tri- state area. 1 hour long, two 30 min interviews, good cop bad cop. First girl was nice basically just tried to gauge how I would fit in at their office. Second was a man who had the thickest accent. I had no idea what he was asking me. It was so incredibly awkward because after the 4th time asking him to repeat himself and I still had no idea what he was asking, I would say the 3 words I got out of his sentence out loud and formulate a response. Then he started his rapid fire technical questions. Which would not have been bad if I knew what he was saying. Half of the time I didn't know if he was asking about something I truly had no idea about or I just couldn't understand him. The last thing he said was "do you even know what consulting is?" and then walked away from the computer without saying thank you or goodbye. I had a great experience with Capco until I got that guy and it just left an extremely sour taste in my mouth. I sent an email to the girl in HR who I initially interviewed me explaining there was some technical difficulties and she responded with this email which was so vague I have no idea if I was rejected or not from the position. It had been 6 weeks and I still have not heard back.

Interview Questions

• What are the 3 type of treasury bills? What is the difference between a put and a call?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Capco in February 2016.

Interview

Internal referral, quick turn around about 1 week and HR contacted me for evening interviews. Went into Wall Street office. Other MBA graduates also waiting. 3 rounds. One case study and 2 behavioral.

Glassdoor reviews... Leadership changes

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capco (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

The whole process went very smoothly and was completed quickly. I first had a phone interview that went over my resume, and I was then invited to the NYC office for 2 30-minute interviews. There was some case material, but they mostly revolved around judging my fit for the firm.

Interview Questions

• -How many manhole covers are there in Manhattan?
      -Describe how you have worked in a team and some of the biggest challenges you have faced in a team environment.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capco (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

Final round consisted of 3 parts - Q&A, Email Challenge & Case Study - took about 4 hours in the downtown NY office - quite the office by the way!

Interview Questions

• How many hot dog stands are there in Central Park in the middle of August   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capco (New York, NY).

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter on behalf of Capco. The interview process was pretty straight forward. It started with a phone screening with a seasoned leader at Capco who reviewed my experience, fit and understanding of Capco. The second round was conducted in face to face interviews with three Capco employees during the blitz day. The interview questions were part behavioral and part scenario-based.

Associate Talent Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capco (New York, NY) in December 2015.

Interview

I enjoyed the interview process. The office is beautiful, with incredible views. Even though the rapid fire questions were nerve-wracking, the interviewers were nice and kept stressing that they are not looking for a "right" answer, just how we think.

The assessment day had three parts:
    1. Email activity
    2. Rapid fire questions
    3. Group case studies

Breakfast, lunch, q+a

Interview Questions

• Is you had to update your Facebook status right now, what would you write?   Answer Question

Associate Talent Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Capco (New York, NY) in November 2015.

Interview

There were two rounds for me, I applied through my school's career center website and was selected for a first round interview. Although I interviewed for the AT program, I sent in an application for an HR role. I interviewed with someone from the New York office, he was cold and needlessly antagonistic. After realizing that I didn't think I would go farther with the interviewing process, I began to ask questions that I knew the interviewer could not answer (think: what am I going to eat for lunch?). The interviewer asked me antagonistic questions like: "how would justify your major because I don't see how it would fit at Capco or for this position?" and he ultimately cast the negative light I would see Capco in.

A few days later (and much to my surprise) I was contacted for a final round interview. I flew out to New York a few weeks later. They put you up in a hotel and fly you over, so the few days out of school was nice. The second round interview is what they call an "evaluation" which is a way for them to interview 4 times as many people than a traditional one on one setting. There are three rounds to this evaluation, the first is a summarization of four emails, where you are asked to provide 4 issues, 4 actionable items, and 4 problems that the emails suggest. You are given 20 minutes to write this email and then paste it into their Google form. The second round is a "speed dating" type activity, where you talk to 6 people who ask you the standard "thinking" questions, I found the interviewers cold and needlessly antagonistic. Finally, there was a group case interview, where there is a bank which is coming to Capco for an idea about how to grow their business into the mid-Atlantic. Finally, there is a lunch.

Overall, I was not very impressed with the way that the interview was conducted nor with the quality of the people I interviewed with. Capco employees onsite were very stuck up and not people I would come to discuss advancing the state of the art in finance. I heard that their worst performing employees who are benched are selected for the interview, so that could be a saving grace. The final round is very much dictated by the quality of your group members, who I found to be fixated on a single thing and unable to see an issue or problem from a high level. Capco employees write off their dismissive behavior as being "real" or "trying to put you out of your comfort zone" but I have interviewed at more prestigious and smarter places where they can do it without coming off as so conceited.

Most importantly, I did not accept my offer because I found out that Capco is more of an elaborate financial industry staffing agency. They do not really innovate and more so provide warm bodies to do the contracted work of big banks.

Interview Questions

• Logic: You have three drums, 2,3,4 gallon drums, how can you get 5 gallons? (some logical issue like that)
      Capco questions: when was Capco founded? who is the CEO? what's an award Capco has won?

Overall, pay attention to the wording they give and that will give you the answer you're looking for, they're not that hard and Capco isn't that smart