Capcom Vancouver Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Capcom Vancouver Interview Questions

2.7

Interviews for Top Jobs at Capcom Vancouver

Senior Producer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Capcom Vancouver.

Interview

Applied online on their website and was contacted by a 3rd party recruiter who operated as the middleman with Capcom's HR/Recruitment team. (bit strange, but ok). Talked on the phone with 3rd party recruiter and filled out info form for them to submit to Capcom.

A couple of weeks later, an on-site half day interview was set-up. I did 4 different panel interviews over the course of the late morning and early afternoon. Lunch was provided.

I was surprised that the majority of interviewers came-off with a bit of an arrogant/unfriendly disposition during the interviews. An interview is 2 ways - do you want to hire and work with me and do I want to work with you for your company. The interviewers acted aloof and not very welcoming. I get it's a job interview, but I wouldn't want to work with or be in a meeting with you guys if this is how you guys operate. Are you unhappy or something or are you trained to come across as difficult people?

Get a call a week later saying that they would not be moving forward with my application as they had other candidates in the pipeline. No other feedback was provided on my interview when I asked for it. For about 6 months after that, I saw Sr.Producer position posting still up. Assumption is that these guys have a real hard time finding the right people and from reading the company reviews, they seem to have a serious culture issue at this studio.

Honestly glad that I didn't move any further with this application process.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with changing design directions late in the project?   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Capcom Vancouver in January 2014.

Interview

An HR rep contacted me to schedule and initial phone screen within days of when I had originally submitted my application. During the phone screen, the HR rep spoke about the lengthy hiring process, and what I could expect during the phone screen and going forward. They seemed very professional and specific.

Interview Questions

• I never got past the first two initial questions. We never talked about my experience, or who I was or where I came from, which I found to be disrespectful. The first questions was:

"How big was the biggest team you managed?"

and the second question:

"What projects are you credited on?"

After the second question the HR rep told me they weren't interested in my services. The phone screen lasted <10min.
      Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Capcom Vancouver.

Interview

There was a phone screen mostly asking about C++ questions. Then there was a three round paired on site interview. Two pairs of engineers and then a project manager and a designer. Each round took roughly one hour. After about 24 hours an offer was given. Very fast turn around.

Interview Questions

• What does the sizeof operator do   1 Answer
    • How does C++ handle polymorphism   1 Answer
    • Implement a function that returns the depth of a binary tree   1 Answer
    • What does the cross and dot product to?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Would not negotiate.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Capcom Vancouver (Vancouver, BC (Canada)).

Interview

First had a phone HR screen interview as with most companies, nothing wrong there,

Second interview which was on Skype for a technical check clearly illustrate the incompetence of the company. While usually most companies start with a bit of background information or give the interviewee a chance to elaborate about his past experience, these guys just just said their names and started off asking questions right off the bat, felt very rough/unprofessional. Also while most interview usually try to find out the depth of the interviewees experience in certain areas by asking first some simpler questions and then go to more advanced topics; these folks resorted to asking a grand total of 2-3 questions each very specific to certain area of game development, which clearly failed in any way to grasp the technical expertise of that person. For example, 2 questions were asked about C++, which should be considered ridiculous to assume that this could assess ones knowledge in that area. For another company I had a 10 page quiz just about C++, probably around 60 questions in total (thus guys gave me an offer for that C++ role).
    What really rubs me the wrong way is that these guys were supposed to get a good picture of your technical expertise but completely failed in doing so and thus handicapped their own decision making.

Anyway, I believe you get the idea. Be prepared to be asked a couple of random questions and happen to know them. Though at this point, it should be clear that you probably don't want to work for these guys anyway.

Interview Questions

• You have two points (in this case people), each with a vector. What would be the most efficient step to calculate if they can see each other. (Also add in obstacles and deal with them)   Answer Question

Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capcom Vancouver (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in January 2016.

Interview

This is not typical, but I received an email from the studio director who had been given my name by former colleagues from another studio. We arranged a time and met in his office where we talked about the role and what I could bring to it.

Next I had a Skype interview with the team at Capcom in California.

Interview Questions

• What do you love best about working in the games industry?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Capcom Vancouver.

Interview

guys around a table asking questions. some logic. some applied programming. some back ground. some video game related. there was an initial, very easy phone screen. an offer was made immediately-- same day.

Software Engineer II Interview

Interview

Their technical questions were very easy. They were typical questions you could google the answers for if you looked them up ahead of time. Phone screen followed by an in person interview. They gave me an offer that same day, in the afternoon. Very impressed with the speed of their process. HR staff is super friendly.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capcom Vancouver in February 2013.

Interview

First an HR contacts you by mail to check if you are still interested by the job you applied for. Couple days after your answer, he will propose you to contact you by phone to talk about your life, your previous job, what you know and expect from the company. Then he will propose you 2 phone interviews.

Then, the funny part begins. The first is the technical director who asks you questions that have nothing to do with the field of your job. NOT one question about my past works and my field, my skills for the position. Then, couple days after, you have another phone interview with 2 guys working int the company and in your field. And there again, 0 question about your skills or past in this field. Nothing about you could have achieved the X last years. Just very basic questions you had be asked when you were student and you didn't have to do again since X years. The skills you get during your previous many years in concrete jobs has no importance (it seems). And to conclude, when I asked questions about the position, they told me they did not have any idea of which job you are interviewed for. So they just have been asked to interview you, but they do not know for which position. Great.

Interview Questions

• All the question were very general and if you have achieved specific things on your previous job... they don't care.   Answer Question

Producer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Capcom Vancouver.

Interview

Initial contact was through a very pleasant recruiter and they submitted my resume to the hiring manager (an Exec Producer) for review. My application was then passed onto the recruiter who deals with Producer candidates and at that point my resume disappeared into a black hole and I didn't hear back from them for over a month. Once I was finally contacted by this other recruiter he didn't even realize which position I had applied for. Once I corrected him, he set up an interview with the Exec Producer who then proceeded to perform the worst phone interview I have ever had in my career. All of his questions were about game design, which was not the position I applied for. I finished the phone call knowing that he had no plans to make me an offer since I felt he was just jerking me around. Very unprofessional. All in all it took 3 months to get a total of 2 phone calls from them.

Interview Questions

• No producer related questions were asked during my interview for a Producer position.   Answer Question