Capital Asset Exchange and Trading (CAE) Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Capital Asset Exchange and Trading (CAE) Interview Questions

Updated May 18, 2017

Trader Interview

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me and sent me some job descriptions about the position and the company. We set up a time to speak but was asked to reschedule a few times and never had it work out. Very unprofessional and inconsiderate recruiting process and I was simply put, horrified by their lack of organization. Can't really expect to enjoy the actual job when the company can't even get the recruiting process straight. Very disappointed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital Asset Exchange and Trading (CAE) (Austin, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

I was contacted via LinkedIn for an interview. I did not apply to the job directly. My background is in equity trading and consulting, vastly different from what they were seeking.

I just had one phone interview, it was very easy and on the same day, Alexis the HR director told me I had passed. They emphasized on how much $ I could make during the phone call which sounded like they were trying real hard to sell me the position, but it did not impress me because my current salary is the same with their "bonuses". I was interested more in the FT benefits such as PTO since I am self employed. But I certainly entertained the thought about working at a company which if searched on google, produced a very negative article where higher ups were accused of giving drugs and hiring prostitutes (just wanted to see what they were about).

Three weeks later I was told I would not move on because of my "lack of transaction deal exposure" which only confirmed my suspicion that this is a sales job since I have no experience in that department. I wish they were a little more professional and just told me that sooner so I didn't have to bother to email them. Honestly the job sounds very doable for someone with that experience as long they are willing to work European and Asian markets at weird hours in 12 hour shifts. I don't doubt how much some of the trader's can make.

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Capital Asset Exchange and Trading (CAE) (Redwood City, CA).

Interview

first one phone interview with recruiter, followed by a phone interview by a VP/Partner, followed by a phone interview with CEO. If the CEO is impressed you are invited to the in person interview which consists of 2 days of testings and case study, interviews with management, interviews with future teammates / fellow traders - be prepared for at least 10 1-on-1 interviews during the 2 day span.

Interview Questions

• Standard interview questions about behavior - they wanted to know what I knew about the semiconductor space   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital Asset Exchange and Trading (CAE) (Austin, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

Be warned this is a "sales job"(prospecting, qualifying, closing deals as though you were car salesman)--they're trying to recruit people from financial services because they know they are used to working a lot of hours and are intelligent. They will try to wow you with this idea you can easily make 400k a year--as we all know that is not easy in any sales environment. Very disorganized process if you are coming from an elite company or top tier firm--I don't think their HR knows how to handle the recruitment and candidate process.

Initial call with HR, phone interview with Director of Trading, multi day "super day" style interview--you will receive no schedule for these interviews and it will most likely be very disorganized--you'll be lucky if you have a confirmed time to arrive for the interview within 24 hours of the scheduled interview date. As a mid-career candidate, I felt the interview process was geared toward new analysts (i.e. first job out of college style super days). The general culture is fairly egotistical and definitely strikes me as a boiler room mentality, however, the team must realize that for a candidate coming from a top tier firm (in my case a bulge bracket Wall Street firm), one will not be purely impressed at where someone went to school. During the on-site interview they have you take a logic and personality test--this is new, so most of their employees have never taken this test and probably wouldn't pass it. They have you do this "valuation exercise"--they give you access to their system with minimal information and you have to put at value on 3 different products using past sales and current sales data mainly. I happened to ask a question during this due to my unfamiliarity with system, to be met with a snide smirk and remark from someone who seemed to think he is smarter than the rest of the world because he went to an ivy for undergrad--unimpressed. Also, coming from finance this is nothing like doing a dcf valuation or bond valuation, so don't be confused.

The positives would be some of the traders seem like personable and intelligent individuals and the CEO and President both seem like they're intelligent and savvy.

Following the lack of organization and respect for me as a candidate in the process, I emailed the HR director to express my dissatisfaction with the process, which was met with a response from the CEO where he apologized for the lack of professionalism by the HR director.

I would just warn one to be very cautious with this company--seems as though they could be in a niche, however, you will need to weigh out the positives with the negatives.

Interview Questions

• How many windows are in downtown Austin? If you have a jug with 3 gallons and a jug with 5 gallons, how do you get exactly 4 gallons in the 5 gallon jug?   2 Answers

Trader Interview

Interview

Long interview process because of many applicants. But there is super high turn over.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not much.

Trader Interview

Interview

Extremely Fast. Conducted phone interview, heard back one week later, final round interview the following week. Received offer 30 minutes after final interview.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Capital Asset Exchange and Trading (CAE).

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me. I hated my previous job but I wasn't ready to jump ship yet. So I spoke with her and gathered some more information about the position, told her where I was at in terms of job search. She told me that if she were to move me forward, I had to be pretty serious about switching job. And that's how we left the conversation. Few months later, she reached out to me again and see if I'd changed my mind. I thought I should give it a shot. So I went through few more rounds of phone interviews then an in-person interview. The rest is history...I didn't expect the turnaround time was so quick.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through an example of buy/sell experience you'd had. (It's not so much the question that was unexpected, but the in-depth details they were looking for took me by surprise).   Answer Question

Interview

Phone screen with recruiter, phone screen with senior trader, in person (3 rounds, meet CEO), hired on the spot.

Capital Asset Trader
 Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital Asset Exchange and Trading (CAE) (San Mateo, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

I contacted a recruiter on LinkedIn with my interest in the company and my resume attached. The following day I was scheduled for an interview. The first interview was over the phone and consisted of speaking with the recruiter. She went over my resume with the typical behavior interview questions that were geared toward sales. It was clear that without strong monthly sales your job was on the line after two months.

When monthly sales incentives such as, driving a Ferrari for a day or getting a Rolex came up I felt a tacky, classless corporate culture associate with the firm. This position clearly had no transferable skills in the finance industry, as they don't even use PC's but Mac's instead.

Interview Questions

• What are the three characteristics of a good negotiator?   Answer Question

Liquids Market Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital Asset Exchange and Trading (CAE) (Redwood City, CA) in August 2012.

Interview

I was initially contacted via email and asked for a phone interview. The phone interview went well, and then I was asked to come in for a in-person interview. I was very surprised and really enjoyed the very straight forward form of communication. Right away it was clear to me that meritocracy is part of the culture, something I really enjoy.

Interview Questions

• If you were given a product to sell, what are the steps you would take to find an appropriate buyer?   Answer Question