Capital Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 20, 2017

3.1

163 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Proofreader Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital Group.

Interview

Two-hour interview -- first with a manager, then with the head proofreader. It began with a description of the position, followed by an in-depth discussion of my background. Both interviewers were personable and polite.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a situation in which you were on deadline for one (non-rush) project and were tasked with completing a rush request for another?   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Capital Group.

Interview

Heavily behavioral but very different than any behavioral interviews I had done previously. They don't expect technical knowledge, but be prepared to feel like you are in a therapy session.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital Group (Irvine, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

Went through a phone interview with a recruiter, and then the hiring manager, as well as a 4 hour interview with 4 different people. Although I didn't get accepted into the position, it was still very insightful to learn about the company. You could definitely hear the passion that they had for Capital Group.

Interview Questions

• Was there ever a time when you disagreed with a teammate?   Answer Question

TAP Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Capital Group.

Interview

The interview process was long -- I had 3 interviews in one day. Each of the interviewers was extremely friendly and encouraged conversation and questions. We had a chance to talk to current associates, which was helpful in getting to know the company from their perspective.

Interview Questions

• As someone who did not have experience in this industry, I was asked a lot of questions as to why I was interested in pursuing this career path.   Answer Question

IT Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital Group in April 2017.

Interview

Contact with HR was quick and pleasant. Interview itself was well organized but long. It was four hours long - one hour each with four different interviewers. Part of interview process included a tour of the facilities.

Interview Questions

• Describe a difficult project that you saw to completion. Did you ever have something you worked on fail? What did you learn from the experience?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carmel, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Capital Group (Carmel, IN) in April 2017.

Interview

I received an email to go online to do a pre-recorded interview that lasted approx. 30 mins. 5 questions you get two tries on the questions. Then I got invited to a Skype interview. Mostly behavioral questions. Then the next steps were meeting with the managers for a site tour & mock phone calls.

Interview Questions

• If a customer called and said their internet wasn't working, what would you do?   Answer Question

Internal Wholesaler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Capital Group (San Antonio, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online, was contacted by email within 2 hrs to schedule a phone interview for the following week.
    Had phone interview he asked about 5 questions. I was very upbeat, positive, friendly etc
    How was your weekend.
    Tell me why you picked capital group.
    What made you leave your last employer.
    Tell me about your skills and qualifications.
    What makes you want to be in investments.
    Interviewer was very dry, no personality I could tell he was reading from a script, he didn't ask additional questions or follow up questions.
    Gave very general responses, that's great, oh very good, ok good etc.
    My skills were more then enough for this position.
    2 days later received an email thank you for applying etc we selected another candidate blah blah.

SEO Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital Group (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

The process began in March with a phone screen, then shortly after I had an hour-long phone interview with the hiring manager. It took over one week before I heard back from the company and they asked me to come in and meet with the team. I researched the company extensively before my in-person interview which was scheduled more than two weeks after my phone interview with the hiring manager.

The in-person interview consisted of meeting with the hiring manager, her boss, an analyst, and then ended with the recruiter. I was invited back for a second in-person interview at some point. The day of the second interview, the coordinator called to let me know that one of the people who was supposed to interview me was traveling to another office and wouldn't be able to meet with me so they were going to have one of the analysts meet with me instead. No big deal. This round of interviews began with the fill-in interviewer.

A young male walked in to the conference room where I was waiting and introduced himself then confessed he had not looked at my resume yet. He asked me to fill him in on my work history, interjecting a few times with comments/questions. After I gave him the rundown of my work history, he began talking about his role and asking questions during which he seemed very sure of himself and his mental prowess, and let me know that he "used to do SEO" (everyone evenly remotely connected to digital marketing claims they've done SEO at one point or another, so I'm used to hearing that).

The interview was going okay until he became hyper-focused on one particular topic related to Domain Authority. He wanted to know how I would explain a decline in Domain Authority. I replied that a decline in Domain Authority indicates there has either been a decrease in the amount or quality of links to the site. He seemed dissatisfied with my answer, and probed a little more. He then asked where I would look to research the cause of a decline in Domain Authority to which I replied that I would check Search Console (Search Traffic > Links to Your Site). He didn't seem pleased with that answer either and kept saying "Hmmmmm... okay" then rewording his question. I was puzzled at this point because I really couldn't figure out what he was getting at and felt like he wasn't even sure what answer he was looking for. He then asked what could be the cause of a decline in Domain Authority for my site and competitors' sites at the same time. At this point I was a little exhausted trying to read this his mind and I was stumped. He stated that an algorithm update could be the cause of this, which he was right about.

He continued to ask questions about Domain Authority and after about 30 minutes on the topic he said "Let's go to the kitchen to get something to drink". I was disappointed that he stuck to one topic the entire interview and never asked about any other topics or even another reporting/analytics platform such as Google Analytics (which I am certified) or BrightEdge (which is a much more robust tool than Moz). And I couldn't figure out why he was so hyper-focused on a metric that is specific to one moderately-popular SEO tool. I was also hoping he would ask me about my SEO plans for the Capital Group and American Funds sites which were going through a site redesign. Needless to say, my interview experience with him was disappointing. I met with two additional interviewers after him, which went fine.

I had one last phone interview set up with a VP the following week. She was supposed to call me at 3:30 and ended up calling at 3:41 offering no apologies for calling late. She was extremely rude right from the start of the conversation, and informed me right away that "I never use the full time and our call will likely end before the time is up". She briefly talked to me about her role with the company then asked me to talk about my background. I barely began talking when she let out a huge, obnoxious sigh. She must have thought she was on mute because there's no way she could be that rude. I believe she let me ask her one question when I was done discussing my work experience, then ended the call abruptly after 15 minutes (we were scheduled for 30 minutes).

I was so put-off by her attitude that I was nearly in tears. What I am most upset about is the fact I wasted so many hours going through three phone interviews and two, four-hour in-person interviews, plus all the research I did (I'm estimating over five hours) for them to give the job to someone who had less SEO experience than me.

My advice to candidates is to pay attention to the red flags. If it gets to the point where they're having you come in for a fourth or fifth interview over a two-month period, you may want to have an honest discussion with them about your chances of getting the job. Also, encountering an interviewer who is rude, arrogant or narrow-minded is a major red flag; keep in mind you'll be working with these people!

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Capital Group in March 2017.

Interview

Unnecessarily long process... phone screening, phone interviews, on-site interviews. All behavioral and situational questions. There is very little value on technical abilities, which should be a warning sign for some. Everyone I interacted with was very friendly, but I also experienced canceling and changing interviews with little to no notice and a totally unresponsive HR team. The hiring manager, a strategy manager, had a background in fund accounting with no experience in strategy, consulting, or managing teams. Personally, I felt more qualified than the hiring manager. Do your due diligence on your hiring managers. If you value your technical abilities, quick decision making, and autonomy, please consider yourself warned. If you're looking for a fun and friendly but complacent environment, this is likely the place for you.

TAP Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Capital Group.

Interview

The TAP Associate program really prides itself on picking out people with no finance experience and placing people into really novel programs. I think the interview process itself was very poorly executed though, and reflected really badly on the company. The night before the interview, CG held a reception that was pretty helpful for describing the position. The interview itself was all behavioral questions. At one point during the interview, the interviewer told me that I seemed like a very controlling and cunning person who may not fit well with the goals of the program, which struck me as a very odd question/statement. They didn't get back to me for a few weeks after the interview.