Capital Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 17, 2017

3.1

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital Group (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

I found the internship online in early September 2016, eventually got around to applying around September 28th (Wed), received an email asking for a first round on the 29th (Thurs), and had the interview on the 30th (Fri). The first round was a strange virtual interview process in which I was asked pre- recorded questions and my responses were recorded and stored to be viewed later. I received a call on the 4th of October (Tue) asking for a second interview. All around a very straightforward process.

Interview Questions

• Why Capital Group?   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation when you had to work with someone that you didn't get along well with and how you made it work.   Answer Question
    • What is your greatest accomplishment?   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation when you were in over your head and how you made it work.   Answer Question

Investment Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Capital Group (Norfolk, VA) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online via Capital Groups careers webpage. Within 2 days, I was asked to submit a recorded interview that consisted of behavioral questions. Within a few hours of submitting the recorded interview I was asked to schedule a live video interview with a recruiter. The interview happened the following week and was once again all behavioral questions. A few days later I was emailed stating that my application was no longer being considered.

Capital Group moves quickly but it was little disorganized. There were some technical difficulties with the website they use to schedule interviews. I was told when my live interview was to take place less than 2 hours prior to the appointment.

Interview Questions

• Why capital group? Describe a time when you had to learn differently. Describe a time you failed. Why this position?   Answer Question

Investment Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital Group (Norfolk, VA) in September 2016.

Interview

I interviewed Online and then at their office in Norfolk. They were professional and pleasant. I enjoyed the process. The questions asked in the interviews were all behavioral, I wasn't asked a single technical question.

Retirement Plan Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Capital Group (Irvine, CA).

Interview

I applied online and got an email shortly after to schedule a phone screening. The phone screening was very brief, and the interviewer was very personable. I felt like she was interested in my success in the interview process. She described the entire interview process, answered a lot of my questions about the position, and followed up via email to let me know who would be contacted me next and when.

The next phone interview was longer and asked all behavioral questions. She also seemed friendly and interested in my success. She let me know she was moving me forward in the process and that someone would contact me within the next week or so to schedule a video conferencing interview.

Two weeks passed and I did not hear anything. I followed up to see what was going on, but was not given specific details. I was told that there were no more continued interviews being given for the position, and it was suggested I apply for a similar position with the same pay rate (it was not, it was lower) and they would fast track me in the interview process. I was left feeling that I had been forgotten in that first interview process and they were trying to find a way to make it right.

When I finally scheduled the video conferencing interview, it was an administrative assistant (not the interviewer) who emailed me with the information about the interview and video conferencing requirements, the name of the person I would interview with, and the schedule of available interview slots.I was also encouraged to schedule an appointment for a test of my software and hardware with the 3rd party company that provides the video conferencing software.

Upon the time of the video interview, it ended up being another phone interview as the interviewer's webcam was on the fritz. This interviewer did not seem so upbeat , friendly and enthused. Her questions were more behavioral types.When I asked if she had any additional questions for me, needed further clarification, or had any concerns about my ability to succeed in this position, she ignored the question and simply said they would be in touch. Needless to say, I did not move to the face-to-face (and final) position of the interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time at work when you regretted a decision you made.
      Tell me about a time you had to deal with a customer who had unreasonable requests.
      Why did you leave your last position?
      What level of pay are you looking for?
      Answer Question

Client Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital Group.

Interview

Was contacted for a series of interviews. First you talk with someone for a phone interview, then move on to do a skype based interview, then meet the recruiters in person. They do batch hiring so there were a lot of people at the interview. Everyone was polite and nice. It was well organized. No complaints.

Applications Developer Interview

Application

I interviewed at Capital Group in August 2016.

Interview

A whole bunch of behavioral questions. After 20 Minutes, got "I don't think we have a culture match here, though I do wish you well in your job search". I was told anywhere from 6-8 rounds of interviews - messed up. Honestly, won't interview with them again.

Interview Questions

• What did you like about your old job? What didn't you like about it?   Answer Question

Client Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital Group (Norfolk, VA) in August 2016.

Interview

1st and 2nd interview was over the phone, taking place days apart. 3rd interview was over the internet. They sent me a link to ensure my computer was compatible before the interview actually took place. 4th and final interview was about two hours and consisted of a listening session, the panel interview and a tour of the facility.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you went above and beyond for a customer   1 Answer

Senior Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital Group (Los Angeles, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter through LinkedIN due to my skill set for an open position they were trying to fill. I was not actively looking for employment but since Capital Group is such a well known organization I decided to move forward with the process. I immediately went to GlassDoor to read reviews of the company and the Interview Process. Against my better judgement, I decided to ignore the bad comments about this company wasting your time and moved forward.

The process began with me sending an updated resume to HR, then the recruiter had a 30 minute 1 on 1 with me at which point she showed extreme interest of moving me forward in the process with me speaking to the hiring manager. After the second phone interview with the hiring manager they wanted to move forward with an all day interview at the campus. Lunch would be provided and they asked me what I would prefer to be delivered.

Capital Group moves with no sense of urgency -at all- as many others have stated. Days and weeks go by and you are in some sort of limbo -don't hold your breath with them- but as I said I wasn't looking for a job... they contacted me, so I was going with the flow.

RED FLAGS: Once my face to face interview was rescheduled 3 times I was starting to question what they do over there. I was nothing but accommodating to the changes the entire time. After the second interview with the hiring manager I felt that they were not actually trying to hire me but rather fish for information of what I currently do in my role and how my processes work. With further research I found out that the job I was applying for had be online for over a month and a half... why had they not found the right candidate? Were they actively looking? Someone had to have been a fit at some point.

After the third rescheduled all day interview I got an e-mail from the initial recruiter saying that the department is going to go back internally and re-evaluate what they need (mind you this is still more than a month into their job posting process). And that was that. I was told that they would contact me if they still see a fit for me (which I would decline even if they came back).

As many people have said, I do not think Capital Group knows what they want. They DO NOT care about wasting your time and gearing you up for disappointment. I would not recommend this company to anyone seriously looking for viable employment.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital Group (San Antonio, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter within a week of applying. After that interview, I was passed on to a senior recruiter who interviewed me over the phone for about 45 minutes. Thorough questions, but friendly and kept me in the loop. I was contacted for a third interview but I turned it down due to no longer needing the position.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you were talking to a challenging client. What actions did you take to communicate with them effectively?   Answer Question

Client Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Capital Group (Indianapolis, IN) in June 2016.

Interview

Lot of details here, but I hope it's helpful. Several adviser friends of mine recommended CG as a great place to start out in finance. I applied and got a denial email after three weeks, so I continued my job search elsewhere, but CG sent me another email two weeks later asking to set up an interview...weird.

Regardless, I agreed to move forward. First interview was a simple, automated Skype-like interview that I completely bombed because I'm not good at talking to a webcam, but it must've been good enough because they then set me up for a phone interview.

Phone interview was about an hour and they only asked a couple behavioral questions. They explained a lot more about the position - start date, location, job details, and salary (starts at about $30k-$37k plus two annual bonuses). The CSR position is not a sales/licensed position, so you won't be able to get your FINRA licenses through this (like series 7, 63, 66, etc.) Also, the great retirement plan everyone on here is referring to really is awesome (15% of your salary), BUT you aren't fully vested until you've worked 6 years at CG, which means you don't get to keep all of that money unless you stay with CG for that long.

Third interview was Skype with a live person. It was very relaxed and easy. More behavioral questions - be sure to follow the S.T.A.R. method when answering. Fourth interview was in person at CG campus. I was in a group of four other applicants. The other applicants each met with an interviewer one-on-one, but I had two people interviewing me. I was prepared for this though, and I took it as a compliment - maybe I'm the most impressive of this group or something??? Who knows. This fourth interview was 2 hours long, but not hard. More behavioral questions, but they will hit you with detailed follow up questions, so be ready for that.

Next day I got a call about submitting references and info for background check. They ask for three references, but they only contact one. Just a head's up, the reference they contact has to fill out a 20+ question form about you, so be sure your references are okay with taking time to do that. Also, this is a financial/brokerage institution, so background checks involve credit check and they use some sort of FBI system to review your past so have a clean slate! (FYI - by law they can't see your credit score when they do the credit check.)

They ask for a 2 year commitment from you so only take this job if you're serious about staying. It's risky because it doesn't seem like there's much room for growth. The campus in Carmel, IN is really nice with cafeteria, indoor walking track, and very nice people who all seem to have a level head. You'll definitely make friends with your coworkers.

Great company with a great reputation. I'm currently waiting for the background check which is the last step. Be fine with waiting because they won't make an offer until 2-3 weeks before you would be starting. Whole process has taken about 3-4 months.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you went above and beyond for a client/customer.
      Tell me about a time you handled a difficult customer.
      Answer Question