Capital One Associate Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Associate Software Engineer

Capital One Associate Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Capital One

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in March 2014.

Interview

Was brought in for a tour and lunch, then interviewed through the standard behavioral and job fit process. The guides were very enthusiastic about selling the company, and I entered the interview much more excited about the potential for a role here. The interviews were very professional and did a great job putting me at ease and walking me through the process, answering all of my questions.

Interview Questions

• Talk about your volunteer experience (as it relates to the corporate values and culture).   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in February 2016.

Interview

I arrived at their Mclean office at 11:30. Waited about 10 minutes, two employee came and took us to lunch. It supposed to show us a room to store our belongs. But instead lunch first. The lunch ended at 1:00 pm. We were assigned to a different room.There are three rounds interviews. First round is called job fit(technique problems). Second round is called case interview and then behavioral interview.

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in March 2017.

Interview

submitted resume
    get contacted ~10 days after for an onsite interview
    given 5 options where and when to interview
    studied full 3 weeks
    interview day: tour, lunch, then the 3 interviews (behavioral, case, technical) in random order
    recruiter calls me 2 days after then received written offer later the day
    compenstation depends on your location preference
    BTW, my recruiter is by far the friendliest recruiter I've ever had; very prompt to emails; did her best to accomodate my needs

Interview Questions

• behavioral - you have to answer in STAR format; be as specific and detailed as possible; interviewer will take notes
      case - the most challenging just because it's kind of unique type of interview; involves business and math
      technical - not hard at all compared to questions asked by big N companies; know your DS   Answer Question

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Capital One in September 2015.

Interview

I talked to a recruiter at the career fair and gave him my resume. After applying through my school's job portal, I was selected for an interview on campus. There are three interviewers: one behavioral, one technical, and one case. I got a call that same evening and they told me I got the offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you taught someone something.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (Dallas, TX) in December 2015.

Interview

Its a telephonic interview for an hour. And then on campus interview at their office for 4 hours. Its a telephonic interview for an hour. And then on campus interview at their office for 4 hours. Its a telephonic interview for an hour. And then on campus interview at their office for 4 hours. Its a telephonic interview for an hour. And then on campus interview at their office for 4 hours.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Wasn't like any other i've seen on here. Thought it was just supposed to be a Phone screen with the Hiring Manager. But turned out to be two Senior devs.

They had pretty thick accents and their speaker phone kept have interference; making it hard to hear them.

Was quick introduction then into like 50 straight technical questions. No high level, conceptual ,leetcode programming problems or DS and Algorithms. Everything was extremely specific even about technologies/languages even some not on my resume.

Only feedback i got was ok, then next dev fired off another question.

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Interview

It was a phone interview of 30 minutes. They asked according to the team requirement skills. The interviewer was very nice and if we have any doubt could ask and they would clarify.

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One in January 2019.

Interview

I applied to capital one through my college. They were fast and responsive had an interview a week later and heard back in two days. The interviewers were friendly and helpful.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to explain a technical term to a friend?   Answer Question

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in November 2016.

Interview

The process took about 2 months in its entirety.
    I was contacted by a recruiter after attending a Capital One sponsored hackathon and asked if I'm interested in a full-time Java Backend position. The following are the application process steps I went through:
    - Phone screening with the recruiter
    - Online code challenge (simple 3 questions on HackerRank with 2 hours limit)
    - Phone screening with Senior Software Engineer
    - In-person Interview (behavioral & technical) that took about 3 hours in total at their Toronto offices

Good things:
    - Everyone was extremely friendly and laid back
    - No one cares about a dress code
    - Lots of newer technologies being used, which is not very common for a bank

Bad things:
    - The recruiter was emphasizing that it's a Java Backend position, while the truth was it's an Associate Software Engineer.
    - The recruitment team has their own agenda, as I have been through a long technical interview where I was tested on HTML, CSS, JS, C++, Java, DataBase Design, OOP concepts, Data Structures & Algorithms, Swift, Responsive Design, among few other fields. (Discussing the GCD and multi-threading model of Swift isn't really something you ask an Associate Software Engineer IMHO, nevertheless, I answered perfectly)

My biggest problem? My friend (probably not relevant, but worth mentioning that she's a white fresh diploma grad female with 1 year of professional experience) was interviewing with me. Her technical & social skills are not the best, so I helped her with all the interview prep and so. Eventually, she went through a 30 mins technical interview where she was asked if she is willing to learn new things at the job... She ended up getting the position, while they gave me a rejection after my 3-hour interview.

I'm not sure what's going on with Capital One, but I'm sure something unethical was part of that hiring process.

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Behavioural Interview: follow the STAR method

Technical Interview: You just have to say what kind of classes you would make for whatever the task is, and how they relate, and also what data structures you would use, and how you would use them. No coding is involved, but you might have to write out some of the stuff you discuss on a piece of paper (the general structure).