Capital One Business Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Capital One Business Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Feb 14, 2017

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in January 2017.

Interview

Long process. Started in September and completed earlier in January. Met them on campus. Had an on campus case interview. Phone behavioral. Three more interviews on site in Richmond two months later. Two cases and one product interview. Overall fun process. I thought I did well on the cases and product but guess not because I didn't get the offer.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in December 2016.

Interview

Recruiter set up power day. Two case interviews and one behavioral interview. Then lunch with a current employee. After lunch I was asked to complete a third case. Some people were sent home at that point. I got stuck (on something easy) and once it took longer than it should the interviewer visually gave up on it even though he helped move past where I was stuck, I was able to get through the case. I was allowed to leave and told they would contact me within a few days. The auto reject email came about 30 minutes before the recruiter called to tell me the same on the next day. The third case was the killer for me. In hindsight and as a help to future interviewers, the cases are NOT as hard as they make them out to be. If you are worried about studying up in advance, spend your time on business math drills, break even analysis (pretty high level) and being able to back into numbers quickly. Also practice mentally viewing numbers in number scales to help you get through the cases quicker with less chance of misplacing zeros. If I had focused here instead of honing up on business math formulas I was rusty with (probability as an example) I believe I would have done fine. Marketing response rates and pricing were part of two of the cases. The reason behind why Capital One uses these types of interviews seems solid and it definitely an employer I had targeted. I do find that if they assume qualitative insights in more of a learned aspect of a BA job and they focus almost exclusively on acquiring quantitative people. The process favors a model of processing data over people with real world hands on experience in my opinion. All of the staff was polite but clearly this process is just as much of a beating for them as it is for interviewees. There was very little passion from interviewers as they walked through the cases…like it was drudgery.

Interview Questions

• Business case about direct mail pieces that had different interest rates, resulting in different take rates, and different average balances.   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One in December 2016.

Interview

Gave online screening test. Did not hear back from them. Found out online I was rejected, no email or anything. The test was fairly simple, some questions were not worded well though

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One in November 2016.

Interview

I went to a career fair, and talked to the recruiter. I also went to an info session the previous day. I submitted an application to their website, and to my schools career site and was chosen for an on campus interview a month later. The interview went well, but I made small simple math mistakes which I should not have. The case interview is fairly easy so they expect you to do it perfectly. I am awaiting to hear if I get sent to the final round in their Virigina offices.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in November 2016.

Interview

First round interview on campus was an easy business case. Got invited to final round interviews shortly after. Interviews in Richmond consisted of three individual interviews, two case and one product case. The two business cases were very quantitative and involved profits and breakeven calculations about auto insurance and the wheat industry. The product case was about how to improve a product and product creation. I received a rejection call within one day. Overall it was a positive experience, and they offer you a lot of support and communication throughout the process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

Three interviews. Two case interviews and one product interview. Case interviews test business and quantitative thinking ability while the product interview tests creative thinking. The case interviews are more difficult than the product interview. Know basic profit analysis (breakevens and weighted averages). Also know basic algebra (systems of equations)

Interview Questions

• Explain 10 ways to redesign a toothbrush   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

One case interview over the phone. If you prepare with the materials on their website its not too bad. Then there is a power day with 3 interviews, 2 case interviews and 1 product interview. Each of these interviews usually begin with one basic behavioral question. Case interviews are more in depth than the one on the phone. Product interview is about outside of the box thinking

Business Analyst Interview

Interview

1-on-1 case interview on campus. The company has great case prep materials on its website and held a pre-interview prep session the night before. The recruiters stressed that the interviewer is there to work through the case with the applicant. I was very pleased with the prep and communication from the company. Unfortunately, my interviewer wasn't very helpful. He seemed uninterested from the start of the interview and was clearly ready to leave for the day. He was distracted by his phone and computer screen and wasn't listening to my thought process. He also gave me an incorrect information from the start which I was using throughout the process but didn't say anything, even when he saw that my figures weren't adding up.

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Most of the behavioral questions were straightforward, but they threw a few curveballs in there that I wasn't sure how to answer. The cases were all fairly simple and for one of the cases I got to pick the product to analyze, which was way more interesting.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Ann Arbor, MI) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied through university recruiting website, 1st round interview scheduled within 2 weeks. Only talked with a business analyst associate for the interview; 30 minutes. Heard back around five days later. Most applicants that got offers went to a (apparently mandatory) networking event the night before the interview.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any questions about working for Capital One? You have an apartment building with x capacity and x rooms, so given the revenue per room along with variable and fixed costs for maintaining the apartment, what is your breakeven?   Answer Question