Capital One Business Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 30, 2017

3.3

462 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in February 2012.

Interview

1. 30 minute on-campus case interview. Focused on basics of math like multiplication and percentages.
2. Online math test and phone call with recruiter. This may not exist anymore.
3. Power day at Capital One campus in Richmond, VA- 2 case interviews, 1 behavioral interview, and 1 job fit interview

Interview Questions

• Case interviews were math heavy and required no business background.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in April 2014.

Interview

The interview process, in my situation, was broken down into two stages. The first round consisted of an over-the-phone, case study interview, which was fairly straightforward and pleasant. The second round consisted of 3 separate interviews conducted in Richmond Virginia. I was given a behavioral interview first and then 2 separate case interviews.

The behavioral portion was very straight forward and relatively short. You're asked three questions about situations in your life where you had to do "x" or deal with "y." After you share your experiences, the interviewer will ask you a series off follow up questions where you'll have to elaborate.

The two cases, again in my experience, differed dramatically in difficulty, and candidates are given different cases along with different interviewers. The first case was fairly straight forward though I made a major error at the end--mistakenly assumed that the cost was fixed when it was actually variable.

The second case was much more difficult and the interviewer, who was clearly an extremely intelligent individual, was not very accommodative. My theory is that if your first case is shaky, then they give you a more difficult follow up case as an opportunity to redeem yourself.

All in all, Capital One was very professional throughout the whole process. They provide you with the transportation, put you up in a very nice hotel and allow you to spend $100 of their money during the trip. They also give you a free, all you can eat lunch after the interview.

Interview Questions

• The first case was fairly straight forward:

(1) Asked to calculate bank profitability with a given interest rates on deposits, a fixed reserve ratio, an interest rate on loans and a fixed fee value.
      (2) Tasked with assessing the viability of a marketing proposal where you're expected to introduce the idea of a market test.
      (3) Values are given for the market test and you're asked to calculate the profitability of the bank if the marketing plan was implemented.
      (4) Go-no/go decision at the end.   2 Answers
    • The second case was much more complex:

(1) Qualitatively analyze two different online application methods--their potential strengths and weaknesses.
      (2) You're given values and asked to determine which method is more profitable.
      (3) You're asked to determine if the relationship between the two methods and their respective profit rates are contingent on volume.'
      (4) Different values are given to you in which case it becomes evident that the profitability of each method varies with volume.
      (5) You're asked to explain the situation qualitatively--why profitability is changing with volume for the two methods.
      (6) You're asked to quantitatively determine the volume at which there's a shift in profitability between the two measures.
      (7) If you're unable to immediately set up the system of equations, the interviewer will ask you to draw out the relationships on a graph.
      (8) You're asked to determine whether the relationships are linear or nonlinear. If you draw the relationships correctly, you're supposed to be able to determine how to set up the system of equations.
      (9) Once you figure out the value for Q where the profitability of the two options shift, you're asked to determine a strategy over a specific period of time where you know, before the fact, what the volume will be.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA).

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter after submitting my resume through my university's career services website. Completed online math and personality assessments. Then I had a phone interview with a current business analyst. The focus of this interview was a pretty simple case that involved some math. In my opinion, this phone interview was to make sure that you did not get someone else to take the online math test for you. If you are even somewhat good at math, you shouldn't have a problem with this interview. Contacted by a recruiter that day to schedule my trip to Richmond for the final round of interviews.

The final round interviews are conducted at the Richmond campus. Capital One pays for everything (hotel, travel, food, etc.). You have dinner with several current business analysts the night before. This dinner was enjoyable and very informal. The employees couldn't have been nicer, but they definitely downplayed the difficulty of the two case interviews. The two case interviews for the final round interviews are not easy. You have to get the cases right to get the job. If you want the job, spend a lot of timing studying the math concepts they send to you. They give you very good instructions for the final round behavioral interview. At the end of the interview process, everyone in my group was flustered by the difficulty of the two cases. In my opinion, they are really looking for people that stand out during the case interviews.

Interview Questions

• They will send you a list of business math topics beforehand. If you want the job, you should spend a lot of time studying these topics.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vienna, VA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One (Vienna, VA) in February 2012.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter that found my my resume from my school (business school). First you have to take an online assessment that consists of personality, reading, and math assessment. The math assessments are like mini cases where they give you some information and some graphs and ask you questions. After I was told that I passed the assessment the interview was set up about a month out where I went to headquarters. I was there with several other applicants and we did a basic behavioral where generally speaking you just need to know your story and come off as confident. Then there was a break and then two more case interviews that were heavy on math. Capital One really values quant skills so if you can do this you'll be fine. Afterwards we had lunch and had a tour of the building.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you lead a team and had to convince people to do what you wanted.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in February 2011.

Interview

I submitted my resume and cover letter through my university's career center and through Capital One's career page. Along with my application I completed two online assessments before the 1:1 interview. I interviewed with a Richmond, VA employee on campus, and it lasted approximately 45 minutes. It was a case interview - that's it. The interviewer asked my name and then we started the case interview. After it was completed he asked if I had any questions and that was it. The interviewer was definitely not friendly or interested in learning about the interviewee. I got the impression that this was a chore he had to do. I received an e-mail 2-3 days later saying I wouldn't be invited to interview on location.

I went to a case workshop with Capital One on campus, and the actual interview case was significantly harder. The focus was more on the numbers rather than on broad marketing concepts.

Interview Questions

• The case was about running a ferry company - definitely harder than the case example on the Capital One interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Dallas, TX) in January 2010.

Interview

There was a quants test on campus similar to the GRE/GMAT format which was relatively hard compared to the other tests i have taken. The students that cleared this round were invited for a case interview and a behavioral test. The case interview in itself was very interesting: The case went something like this.

You are about to start a Dominoes Pizza joint and i was supposed to crunch numbers to do a bunch of break even analyses.

In the behavioral test, i had to answer something like 250 qns. Once i cleared these 2, i was invited for another round of behavioral (1) and case interviews (2) in the following week. I got the job offer the very next day.

Interview Questions

• Dominoes Pizza case: # of Pizzas that need to be sold in order to break even.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No i wasnt able to negotiate

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in October 2017.

Interview

Two rounds. On campus case interviews, then a final round called Power Day in Plano. Power Day consisted of 2 case interviews and a product interview. After the interview process was complete, they took us around the campus and gave us lunch. Results were given within two days.

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in November 2017.

Interview

Submitted my resume on-campus, then was selected for a first-round on campus. The format was a few behavioral questions, then a highly quantitative case, totaling 1 hour. I thought I bombed, but made the final round, for which they flew me out to Richmond. I had 2 x 1 hour case interviews similar to the first round, and 1 x 1 hour product interview that had a bunch of questions related to different stages of the product life cycle. Overall, very accommodating HR people, and pleasant interview process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you worked in a team, and you advocated for another group member (something like that).   Answer Question
    • The case questions were highly quantitative, and mostly concerned with breakeven equations and manipulating profit equations using different variables. Know Profit = Revenue - Cost and the per-unit breakdown and you should be OK. Also, remember that you have a calculator that you can use.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

lengthy! interviewed with at least 5 people. case interviews had simple business problems but you are being judged on how well you formulate your thinking, communicate the important aspects and do the math. Behavioral round goes in to your people skills/temperament and occasionally there is a job fit round as well.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you faced a difficult decision   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Capital One (Bengaluru (India)) in February 2016.

Interview

had an excel round of 10 minutes followed by 2 case study interviews and if then so for this that verb adverb now for why tuesday for give no man o did that done