Capital One Business Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Capital One Business Analyst Interview Questions

Updated May 24, 2017

3.3

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in February 2012.

Interview

1. 30 minute on-campus case interview. Focused on basics of math like multiplication and percentages.
2. Online math test and phone call with recruiter. This may not exist anymore.
3. Power day at Capital One campus in Richmond, VA- 2 case interviews, 1 behavioral interview, and 1 job fit interview

Interview Questions

• Case interviews were math heavy and required no business background.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in April 2014.

Interview

The interview process, in my situation, was broken down into two stages. The first round consisted of an over-the-phone, case study interview, which was fairly straightforward and pleasant. The second round consisted of 3 separate interviews conducted in Richmond Virginia. I was given a behavioral interview first and then 2 separate case interviews.

The behavioral portion was very straight forward and relatively short. You're asked three questions about situations in your life where you had to do "x" or deal with "y." After you share your experiences, the interviewer will ask you a series off follow up questions where you'll have to elaborate.

The two cases, again in my experience, differed dramatically in difficulty, and candidates are given different cases along with different interviewers. The first case was fairly straight forward though I made a major error at the end--mistakenly assumed that the cost was fixed when it was actually variable.

The second case was much more difficult and the interviewer, who was clearly an extremely intelligent individual, was not very accommodative. My theory is that if your first case is shaky, then they give you a more difficult follow up case as an opportunity to redeem yourself.

All in all, Capital One was very professional throughout the whole process. They provide you with the transportation, put you up in a very nice hotel and allow you to spend $100 of their money during the trip. They also give you a free, all you can eat lunch after the interview.

Interview Questions

• The first case was fairly straight forward:

(1) Asked to calculate bank profitability with a given interest rates on deposits, a fixed reserve ratio, an interest rate on loans and a fixed fee value.
      (2) Tasked with assessing the viability of a marketing proposal where you're expected to introduce the idea of a market test.
      (3) Values are given for the market test and you're asked to calculate the profitability of the bank if the marketing plan was implemented.
      (4) Go-no/go decision at the end.
      2 Answers
    • The second case was much more complex:

(1) Qualitatively analyze two different online application methods--their potential strengths and weaknesses.
      (2) You're given values and asked to determine which method is more profitable.
      (3) You're asked to determine if the relationship between the two methods and their respective profit rates are contingent on volume.'
      (4) Different values are given to you in which case it becomes evident that the profitability of each method varies with volume.
      (5) You're asked to explain the situation qualitatively--why profitability is changing with volume for the two methods.
      (6) You're asked to quantitatively determine the volume at which there's a shift in profitability between the two measures.
      (7) If you're unable to immediately set up the system of equations, the interviewer will ask you to draw out the relationships on a graph.
      (8) You're asked to determine whether the relationships are linear or nonlinear. If you draw the relationships correctly, you're supposed to be able to determine how to set up the system of equations.
      (9) Once you figure out the value for Q where the profitability of the two options shift, you're asked to determine a strategy over a specific period of time where you know, before the fact, what the volume will be.
      2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA).

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter after submitting my resume through my university's career services website. Completed online math and personality assessments. Then I had a phone interview with a current business analyst. The focus of this interview was a pretty simple case that involved some math. In my opinion, this phone interview was to make sure that you did not get someone else to take the online math test for you. If you are even somewhat good at math, you shouldn't have a problem with this interview. Contacted by a recruiter that day to schedule my trip to Richmond for the final round of interviews.

The final round interviews are conducted at the Richmond campus. Capital One pays for everything (hotel, travel, food, etc.). You have dinner with several current business analysts the night before. This dinner was enjoyable and very informal. The employees couldn't have been nicer, but they definitely downplayed the difficulty of the two case interviews. The two case interviews for the final round interviews are not easy. You have to get the cases right to get the job. If you want the job, spend a lot of timing studying the math concepts they send to you. They give you very good instructions for the final round behavioral interview. At the end of the interview process, everyone in my group was flustered by the difficulty of the two cases. In my opinion, they are really looking for people that stand out during the case interviews.

Interview Questions

• They will send you a list of business math topics beforehand. If you want the job, you should spend a lot of time studying these topics.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vienna, VA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One (Vienna, VA) in February 2012.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter that found my my resume from my school (business school). First you have to take an online assessment that consists of personality, reading, and math assessment. The math assessments are like mini cases where they give you some information and some graphs and ask you questions. After I was told that I passed the assessment the interview was set up about a month out where I went to headquarters. I was there with several other applicants and we did a basic behavioral where generally speaking you just need to know your story and come off as confident. Then there was a break and then two more case interviews that were heavy on math. Capital One really values quant skills so if you can do this you'll be fine. Afterwards we had lunch and had a tour of the building.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you lead a team and had to convince people to do what you wanted.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in February 2011.

Interview

I submitted my resume and cover letter through my university's career center and through Capital One's career page. Along with my application I completed two online assessments before the 1:1 interview. I interviewed with a Richmond, VA employee on campus, and it lasted approximately 45 minutes. It was a case interview - that's it. The interviewer asked my name and then we started the case interview. After it was completed he asked if I had any questions and that was it. The interviewer was definitely not friendly or interested in learning about the interviewee. I got the impression that this was a chore he had to do. I received an e-mail 2-3 days later saying I wouldn't be invited to interview on location.

I went to a case workshop with Capital One on campus, and the actual interview case was significantly harder. The focus was more on the numbers rather than on broad marketing concepts.

Interview Questions

• The case was about running a ferry company - definitely harder than the case example on the Capital One interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Dallas, TX) in January 2010.

Interview

There was a quants test on campus similar to the GRE/GMAT format which was relatively hard compared to the other tests i have taken. The students that cleared this round were invited for a case interview and a behavioral test. The case interview in itself was very interesting: The case went something like this.

You are about to start a Dominoes Pizza joint and i was supposed to crunch numbers to do a bunch of break even analyses.

In the behavioral test, i had to answer something like 250 qns. Once i cleared these 2, i was invited for another round of behavioral (1) and case interviews (2) in the following week. I got the job offer the very next day.

Interview Questions

• Dominoes Pizza case: # of Pizzas that need to be sold in order to break even.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No i wasnt able to negotiate

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied after I talked with a recruiter at a job fair. I filled out the application online and received a call to schedule a phone call case study interview. Capital One provides you with the opportunity to do a practice case study interview before the real one, which I highly recommend and regret not taking. The case study discussed basic financial analysis and then communicating your recommendation based on said analysis. My biggest advice is LISTEN CAREFULLY. Things had gone smoothly for me up until I misheard something and was not able to calculate a correct number. Do this relax and I'm sure the interview will go smoothly.

Interview Questions

• You are an owner of a boardwalk shop that sells 3 items...   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in January 2014.

Interview

Lengthy. I am not interested in this process. Stop asking me for details. Happy Happy Happy. yes no maybe so yes no maybe so

Interview Questions

• You will have a long day with many questions   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in April 2017.

Interview

The entire interview process was pretty pleasant. The interviewers were all really friendly, knowledgeable, and honest about their experiences at Capital One. They'd all been there at least 7 or 8 years and clearly enjoyed their jobs. I had a first round phone interview that dove straight into a case, and found out a few days later that I'd be having an in-person super day the next week. Two cases, very numbers-heavy, and a product interview that was more creative business thinking. I was nervous and definitely made a few mistakes while I was working through my cases, but I worked through my thought process with the interviewers and they were very helpful. Product interview was really fun! In general, I tried to stay relaxed and friendly, and act as if I was already a part of the team.

They took care of my travel, hotel, and food expenses and there was a cute goody bag with snacks and travel gear waiting at the hotel. There were a few other candidates in my group who were clearly very intelligent and friendly, too. The only unpleasant aspect to the whole process was that I didn't find out about my phone interview until the day before so it felt pretty rushed.

Interview Questions

• Break even analysis and market entry calculations, more math heavy than traditional consulting-style cases. Plus the more creative-thinking product interview.   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One in April 2016.

Interview

The interview process is very well organized with 4 rounds two HR and two case study questions. The case study rounds are more focused on calculations based on credit card industry. The expectations are to work through the numbers and provide a final correct answer.

Interview Questions

• calculate avg annual balance in the account if the apr, interest rate and monthly balance provided?   Answer Question