Capital One Data Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Capital One Data Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Jun 20, 2017

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in May 2017.

Interview

The process took 4+ weeks in total. Started with an online coding/SQL hackerrank challenge. This challenge is pretty simple but timed, so have to be quick. If you get through this, the next is the data challenge. They give you one dataset, set of questions, and 1 week to solve it. It is mostly related to doing a marketing research for a company to enter or not into the market. If you get through this, you are invited to the onsite loop which consists of 4 back to back rounds.
1. Behavioral round
Questions: Tell me about a project when you used your data analysis skill, Tell me about a time when you convinced someone to see things your way, How would you like to work in an environment that changes pretty quickly.
The drill down into details of each thing you say - so be prepared with stories from your past.
2. Data challenge discussion
In this round they discuss the solution that you submitted in the data challenge round. They are looking to see your approach and why/why not you chose a certain approach.
3. Two Case Interviews
These are the main deciding factors I feel, they are very peculiar about the mathematical nuances and calculations. Cases in themselves are pretty simple, but "public maths" can be intimidating. Atleast for me it was.

Interview Questions

• Case 1: Cap1 had ATMs which operate on a certain cost (operating cost, teller cost etc was given). Now they have built a mobile app which can be used by users to scan the check and save it. The cost of the app was also given and the total number of ATM transactions was given Q1. Find what %age of transactions should be moved to mobile in order to break even. Then additional details were given - mobile apps are susceptible to frauds, with an associated cost per transaction. Q2. With this additional cost, do you think, we should still go ahead with the app idea? Basically you had comapre the profits in both the cases. Q3. What are the ways we can improve our profits from the mobile app?   Answer Question
  • Case 2: Credit card Costs, loss rate, interest, other fees, average spend, average balance, and transaction volume were given, I had to calculate the Profit per customer. Then the next part introduced a cash back offer with 1% cash back on the average spend. Q2. Is it profitable? Shall we go ahead with this? So, basically compare the profits from the first part against this. Q3. what would be the optimal cashback percentage? some additional data points were given at this time. Q4. Finally I had to plat the curve that shows the cashback% and profits.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was told after a few weeks that my application was being reviewed. A few months passed and I was finally given a phone interview, which after a successful interview, resulted in me given an invitation to participate in the final process in Richmond, VA.

Interview Questions

• Business focused case interview was challenging and put me in a position I was never in before. Knowing the facts and numbers were key, and despite my stumbling, I was able to continue thru the case with the interviewer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online, contacted over for an interview through email. Recruiter called me to make sure I had made travel arrangements the week of. Went through two case interviews and a behavioral interview, each lasting 45 minutes. Then I had lunch with all the other data Analyst Intern and full time candidates.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral interview - usually questions that have to do with obstacles/teamwork/leadership/people skills. Was asked three questions. The first was describe a time you had to learn something new to complete a task.   1 Answer
    • Case interview - had to graph the relationship between two variables, had to find the equation for relationship between variables   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in March 2017.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me through a job portal site for this position and scheduled a phone-screen interview. Interview process took 2 weeks and this was an easy interview and I performed well answered every question but I don't have any idea where my performance was not good and they offered someone without giving meany feedback.

Interview Questions

• It s about previous experiences and problems you resolved as well as the tools you used?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied through my school career site. Received an on campus interview a few weeks later. It was called a technical behavioral. They asked a few questions like

Tell us about a time you manipulated data
    Name one or two technical concepts you learned and how you applied them
    What experience do you have with extracting data? (SQL queries)

Two days later I was invited to an on campus interview at Plano, TX. There I had 1 behavioral and 2 case interviews. The behavioral asked the following:

Tell me about a time you had to learn something to complete your job
    Tell me about a time where you had to ask for help and who/why you asked

The case interviews were standard I think (first time doing any) and I feel that if I had practiced at all then I would have done better and got the job. Overall it is a cool company and I'm pretty bummed I didn't get the job but that's just more motivation for next time.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to change your plan midway   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

After one month I submitted my resume on campus recruiting website, I receive an email to do a Data Challenge. Gives 4 days to finish and mainly about data analysis, machine learning, and statistics modeling. You can use any software / language to conduct the analysis. All questions are "open answers" question. Especially the last question you have four options and just need to answer one of these.

Interview Questions

• Doing a project about New York City taxis data. Firstly do some basic summary statistics and box-plots. Next one is to ask you to identify which trips are from / to the three airports in NYC. Then asking you to build predictions models for tips to the driver. There are like 20 variables include continuous and categorical variables. Last question you have 4 options, I choose the data visualization one, which is plot the pickup and drop-off locations for taxis, but also need to customize some settings to make it more informative.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in University Park, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (University Park, TX).

Interview

It was a phone case interview problem. Capital one gives you a practice one online. It was challenging to do this over the phone since usually you can show your interviewer your work you had to talk out every single mathematical step.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Champaign, IL) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied at career fair, was emailed a week later with an invitation for an on campus interview. The interview was 45 minutes long, behavioral and not too hard. The interviewer was mainly asking about my passions in the field and what excites me about the job.

Interview Questions

• Where do you look to find out about new technology?   Answer Question
    • What is one current innovation in technology that excites you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

4 Rounds in total, I could only go till 3. Started with a basic introductory round where I was asked about my background and a few quantitative questions. Followed by a Hacker Rank challenge and a case study.

Interview Questions

• For the first round it was questions related to simple interest, compound interest etc. For hacker Rank 2 SQL questions and 2 pytho questions. Case study was an open data set that was required to be analysed.   1 Answer

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One in February 2017.

Interview

HR interview (basic questions) followed by a programming test - sql joins and programming questions on hackerrank. Next was a data challenge - you are given data and a week to build a dashboard.