Capital One Data Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 22, 2017

3.2

132 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One in October 2011.

Interview

I applied for an interview through our career website. Was followed up with an HR rep who asked me to apply online. After applying online, was required to take a personality test and standardized test (verbal comprehension and math).

Once this was completed, I was invited to interview on campus. The interview was a quantitative case study and was very stressful. The interviewer was very friendly and relaxed, however. Despite my experience, never once were any questions asked about my resume. The case study involved purely mathematical questions, equations, and theories...definitely not like the usual behavioral interview.

I am still awaiting the results, one way or the other. I think the company is great, however the interview process after this is even more intensive...

Interview Questions

• Case study...analyze this graph (given details), what can you tell me about it?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in March 2016.

Interview

Capital One has a similar recruiting procedure. HR Screening, technical phone interview, data challenge, on-site. The interviews are not easy, especially in the final round which includes technical, behavioral, case, role play. The recruiter was very professional and nice.

Interview Questions

• tell me about experience that you had to deal with changing objectives in your team/project
      tell me about a time that you had to deal with unexpected problems in your project   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied through my school career site. Received an on campus interview a few weeks later. It was called a technical behavioral. They asked a few questions like

Tell us about a time you manipulated data
    Name one or two technical concepts you learned and how you applied them
    What experience do you have with extracting data? (SQL queries)

Two days later I was invited to an on campus interview at Plano, TX. There I had 1 behavioral and 2 case interviews. The behavioral asked the following:

Tell me about a time you had to learn something to complete your job
    Tell me about a time where you had to ask for help and who/why you asked

The case interviews were standard I think (first time doing any) and I feel that if I had practiced at all then I would have done better and got the job. Overall it is a cool company and I'm pretty bummed I didn't get the job but that's just more motivation for next time.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to change your plan midway   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

After one month I submitted my resume on campus recruiting website, I receive an email to do a Data Challenge. Gives 4 days to finish and mainly about data analysis, machine learning, and statistics modeling. You can use any software / language to conduct the analysis. All questions are "open answers" question. Especially the last question you have four options and just need to answer one of these.

Interview Questions

• Doing a project about New York City taxis data. Firstly do some basic summary statistics and box-plots. Next one is to ask you to identify which trips are from / to the three airports in NYC. Then asking you to build predictions models for tips to the driver. There are like 20 variables include continuous and categorical variables. Last question you have 4 options, I choose the data visualization one, which is plot the pickup and drop-off locations for taxis, but also need to customize some settings to make it more informative.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Was given a data challenge with one week deadline. A few days after submitting the data challenge, I received an email inviting me to a power day of interviews. Power day consisted of three 45 minute interviews with a 15 minute break after the first two. There were two cases and one behavioral interview. Cases were both found here, although not in specific detail (credit card case and customer acquisition case). Very simple algebraic math. Just keep a level head and don't make any mistakes... they weigh these cases heavily and you are competing with a benchmark that doesn't really allow for mistakes. Behavioral interview consisted of three questions with the same theme (which made it a little bit tougher than the common behavioral interview - each of my responses could have worked for each of the three questions).

Interview Questions

• A time you avoided an obstacle, A time you had to learn something new, Third one was something along the lines of: A time you had to request extra help to complete a project/task   3 Answers

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

I applied Online and a couple days later, received a request to complete an online assessment. There were a few aptitude questions and a few coding questions. Aptitude questions were pretty easy but coding questions were weird in the sense that they required SAS/SQL skills in the role description but SAS syntax was not supported in the test. They also asked a Java question, which was a bit random.

Interview Questions

• multiple choices and coding questions were given online for 30 minutes   1 Answer

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One in August 2015.

Interview

First, recruiter interview, and then coding challenge, and then another technical interview.
    I can't pass the technical interview. It was about 45 minutes. Coding challenge was not that hard if you have any experience of modeling through R or other languages.

Interview Questions

• what are you gonna do if there is only 100 data for developing model about prediction of male or female?   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One (Bengaluru (India)) in September 2015.

Interview

6 Rounds Total. 1st-MCQ Apti 30 questions 30 mins, 2nd- SQL MCQ 40 Ques 30 mins,3rd- Technical round,4th- Managerial cum Technical, 5th-Behavioural round with 2 members,6th- HR.
    Apti round was quite standard questions and involved few tricky ones, SQL section was also pretty standard.

Interview Questions

• How will you automate 200 reports being generated from various source systems based on various timings thorughout the day and deliver the report on time. Derive a business plan how will you plan the approach and the strategy given any technology in the market.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Capital One (Dallas, TX) in December 2014.

Interview

1 behavioral, 2 case. The people were very nice, everything was organized. 3 interview with 3 different people, you are going up against masters students and engineers. Behavioral was easy, 1 case study was a hypothetical situation, the other case study was about banking, rates, and credit cards

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One in March 2015.

Interview

A phone screening by a recruiter first.
    Then an online coding test including coin flipping, anagram...can be coded in any language except R.
    Third round is the technical interview with a member of the team. Questions are about how you deal with large dataset, map-reduce, an practice problem about point estimation and a case study.

Interview Questions

• something about large dataset, map-reduce, an practice problem about point estimation, some basic statistic concept and a case study.   Answer Question