Capital One Data Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 29, 2017

3.2

132 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in April 2015.

Interview

First is phone interview and the onsite behavior interview and case interview when I was there. When onsite, there will be 4-5 manager will take turn to interview all candidates.

Interview Questions

• Many cases interview, like tell me what did you do when .... tell me one of the projects which .... all these kind of sick useless questions   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in October 2017.

Interview

I was recruited. There was a phone interview, then an on-site interview. The on-site interview consisted of a behavioral interview and two case interviews. I liked my recruiter, but the people who did the case interviews with me were not very respectful.

The first interviewer became agitated because I decided to completely erase a couple lines of work. Apparently, I should have kept the work that I could have reused on the paper. But I have avery math intensive background, and my approach to solving problems has always been to completely erase all work that has errors. If you deal with equations that have several variables, you will might have the same habit as me.

I had to clarify what the second case interviewer was actually saying for about 10 or 15 minutes. Each case interview lasts 30 minutes. . . the second interviewer was not a native English speaker.

Besides the issues described above, I felt that the people doing the case interviews tried to help me too much. I actually think better when I don't have people constantly suggesting ideas to me.

Both interviewers gave me the impression that they thought they were very excellent, and that I was somehow lucky to even get interviewed.

I don't think this company is ready for people with math intensive backgrounds. For example, physics majors, math majors, and comp. sci. majors are taught to think problems through methodically. We are used to spending some time thinking through our domain problems so we can give good solutions. We aren't used to sitting down and having a word-salad business problem thrown at us, but many of us are fine with this as long as the interviewer speaks clearly and does not talk to much while we are thinking.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to ask help to solve a problem.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in February 2013.

Interview

Two rounds, first is an online math test, once candidate pass that, they flew me down to Richmond for OnSite interview. Two business cases, two soft skill Q&A, overall pretty efficient.

Interview Questions

• Describe what you did that improved overall productivity   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Philadelphia, PA) in January 2017.

Interview

The interviewer first started off by speaking with me, asking for my background and why I was interested in the job. Then moved into the case study, which was reasonably quantitative and required good mathematical intuition.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in September 2017.

Interview

Invited for final round to their headquarters. There were 3 rounds. 1) Behavioral 2) Case Interview (this discussed profits, revenues, percentages) 3) Case Interview (discussed entering a satellite industry). The third round was the hardest because I was just given a data sheet, and the person just spoke a total of 3 words and expected me to calculate everything. After the interview, she just zoomed out without even shaking my hand.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One (Columbus, OH) in October 2017.

Interview

45 minutes interview. Had a few preset questions and then we had an open discussion. I learned a lot about my role, my day to day duties and the company culture.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Capital One (Columbus, OH) in February 2017.

Interview

Conducted a brief screening at my university. Asked me about my technical experience and how I have used different tools to analyze data. The interviewer was particularly interested to know if I have used Python or data visualization software before.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in May 2017.

Interview

The process took 4+ weeks in total. Started with an online coding/SQL hackerrank challenge. This challenge is pretty simple but timed, so have to be quick. If you get through this, the next is the data challenge. They give you one dataset, set of questions, and 1 week to solve it. It is mostly related to doing a marketing research for a company to enter or not into the market. If you get through this, you are invited to the onsite loop which consists of 4 back to back rounds.
    1. Behavioral round
    Questions: Tell me about a project when you used your data analysis skill, Tell me about a time when you convinced someone to see things your way, How would you like to work in an environment that changes pretty quickly.
    The drill down into details of each thing you say - so be prepared with stories from your past.
    2. Data challenge discussion
    In this round they discuss the solution that you submitted in the data challenge round. They are looking to see your approach and why/why not you chose a certain approach.
    3. Two Case Interviews
    These are the main deciding factors I feel, they are very peculiar about the mathematical nuances and calculations. Cases in themselves are pretty simple, but "public maths" can be intimidating. Atleast for me it was.

Interview Questions

• Case 1: Cap1 had ATMs which operate on a certain cost (operating cost, teller cost etc was given). Now they have built a mobile app which can be used by users to scan the check and save it. The cost of the app was also given and the total number of ATM transactions was given Q1. Find what %age of transactions should be moved to mobile in order to break even. Then additional details were given - mobile apps are susceptible to frauds, with an associated cost per transaction. Q2. With this additional cost, do you think, we should still go ahead with the app idea? Basically you had comapre the profits in both the cases. Q3. What are the ways we can improve our profits from the mobile app?   Answer Question
    • Case 2: Credit card Costs, loss rate, interest, other fees, average spend, average balance, and transaction volume were given, I had to calculate the Profit per customer. Then the next part introduced a cash back offer with 1% cash back on the average spend. Q2. Is it profitable? Shall we go ahead with this? So, basically compare the profits from the first part against this. Q3. what would be the optimal cashback percentage? some additional data points were given at this time. Q4. Finally I had to plat the curve that shows the cashback% and profits.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was told after a few weeks that my application was being reviewed. A few months passed and I was finally given a phone interview, which after a successful interview, resulted in me given an invitation to participate in the final process in Richmond, VA.

Interview Questions

• Business focused case interview was challenging and put me in a position I was never in before. Knowing the facts and numbers were key, and despite my stumbling, I was able to continue thru the case with the interviewer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in March 2016.

Interview

Capital One has a similar recruiting procedure. HR Screening, technical phone interview, data challenge, on-site. The interviews are not easy, especially in the final round which includes technical, behavioral, case, role play. The recruiter was very professional and nice.

Interview Questions

• tell me about experience that you had to deal with changing objectives in your team/project
      tell me about a time that you had to deal with unexpected problems in your project   Answer Question