Capital One Data Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Capital One Data Scientist Interview Questions

Interviews at Capital One

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

I was emailed by a recruiter to setup a phone interview. The recruiter never called and received no-reply email later in the day saying that I was rejected. Very unprofessional. If they did not want to interview me or the job was filled just email the candidate beforehand that the interview in cancelled. Waste of time preparing and shifting priorities just to get stood up.

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Capital One in September 2016.

Interview

Applied online through the capital one portal. Received an email saying I need to take the data science challenge (NYC taxi dataset). The questions were of average difficulty and was told to submit over the weekend (5 days). Was able to answer all the questions but still got a reject two days later.

Interview Questions

• Questions were based on the data set which they had given. (Analysis stuff mostly)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

They contacted me directly on a website. I went straight to the data science programming challenge (based on taxi trips dataset). After that they call me to interview on-site at Plano, TX. The interview was a case interview, then a behavioral interview, a 15 minutes break, and a role interview.

Interview Questions

• Case Interview:
      the case is the car finance loan.
      - what are revenues and expenses
      - given a model that predicts when a customer is good (loan should be approved) or bad (loadn should be decline) find out: 1. the probability that the customer is good given the model predicts good 2. the probability that the customer is bad given the model is good 3. given a pentile graph of # of checked off loans / # of loans what is a better model than the current; what is the best model.

Behavioral interview:
      - tell me about a time that you had to deal with changing objectives in your team/project
      - tell me about a time that you had to deal with unexpected problems in your project
      - tell me about a time that you had to persuase somebody

Role interview:
      the case is a report on air company with low percentage of flight on time. Read the report an give an evaluation of it and some reccomendations to your boss. 15 minutes to read the report and remove anything unecessary or spot errors. 20 minutes to present it to your boss. 15 minutes to discuss afterwards from data scientist to data scientist.   4 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Capital One (Dallas, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

First, I was contacted by a Sr. Technical Recruiter on LinkedIn (I hadn't applied for this position). Then, I had a HR interview with the recruiter and selected to go to the next round which was a Technical Interview with a Sr. Statistician. There were supposed to be two more rounds: one was a hackerrank code test and then a data science challenge (datasets would be provided by them) before moving on the F2F rounds. I did not go past the Technical Interview.

Interview Questions

• How would you address the overfitting problem?   3 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online. Got a mail from one of the recruiters asking me to give a time slot to talk.
    1st round - Getting to know you interview. asked about projects and experience in various tools
    2nd round - HackerRank Challenger - Timed
    3rd round - Interview with a Data Scientist- Technical round, they might ask a case to solve
    4rt round - Data Challenge - Predictive modeling type
    I cleared all these and then I was invited for an onsite. It was a full day session starting from 8:30 am to 4:00pm. In total I had 6 rounds.
    2 Technical rounds - they asked about experiences and projects I did in the past. Some algorithms explanations.
    1 behaviors round , 2 case interviews - more about credit card, Auto - financing (cost analysis, probability, modeling), 1 role play- to explain technical report to business

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the time you influenced someone   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Capital One (San Francisco, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Got a review to an internal team and made contact with a number of employees in the team. I had two phone screening technical interviews with the technical members of the team. The phone interviews started off by a general experience and CV review and then proceeded to a technical Q&A answer session.

Interview Questions

• General data analysis questions, data quality questions, general data science questions, some algorithm questions. Personality and some management and experience related questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in January 2017.

Interview

I got past the first few steps of the interview process. First step was a call with the recruiter. She screened me for relevant skills and experience. Then I was moved into the nest phase which was a skills based test on HackerRank. It took about 1.5 hours to solve programming assignments. Fairly easy if you know how to code. You can use your language or choice. I used R. I passed this and was moved on to a phone screen with a top data scientist. He asked me many technical questions surrounding applications of machine learning to credit/financial industry. It covered questions about exploratory analysis and data cleaning, and was very focused on using random forests.

Interview Questions

• What machine learning model would you use to classify fraudulent transactions on credit cards?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

After resume shortlisting, there is a Data Science challenge which involves a real world data and allows you to choose a tool of your choice to answer the questions asked in the challenge.
    After clearing that, there is an on-site interview which has 3 rounds (on the same day, one hour each): Case Study, behavioral and role-play (can be in any order).

Interview Questions

• Tell a time when you had to persuade a time.   3 Answers
    • Tell a time when you had to change preferences or priorities.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in February 2017.

Interview

Start from campus recruit in October, it took around one month I received a data challenge. You would have seven days to finish it. After one month received an onsite interview.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One in June 2016.

Interview

The first round is an online test in Hakerrank. There are 4 problems. You have 180 mins to solve them. These problems are not hard.
    The second round is phone interview.
    The there will be a code challenge.
    If you pass, you will have onsite interviews.

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell me about a time that you had to persuade somebody   Answer Question