Capital One Director Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Capital One Director Interview Questions

Updated Feb 24, 2017

3.7

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX).

Interview

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in Oct 2013.

Interview Details – Be sure to pass the math, verbal and personality test or you will not have a face to face interview. The math and verbal tests are very difficult and timed. The personality test is not timed. I had to take the tests to ensure a face to face. Seems a little ridiculous to put so much emphasis on testing for a company that is so entrepreneurial. Fortunately, I prepared myself very well, especially on personality test. Make sure you prepare yourself well on your personality test, I see too many highly qualified candidates fail the process simply by failing the "supposedly" simple personality test. One excellent source I trained myself with is www.acejobtest.com, where I could train myself with real questions. I passed all the tests, then the face-to-face was kind of easy. I got the offer. Very cool!

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in August 2011.

Interview

A friend referred me for the Director IT - Richmond VA. I spoke to the recruiter, passed the numeric and verbal reasoning exams, spoke with the hiring manager, and had my power day this week. I had a 1 hour behavioral interview consisting of 3 "tell me about a time when" questions. I cant remember what they were, but you will need to think about times when you had to influence people, went against what you boss wanted, resolved conflict, had to decide which between two projects on the same timeline and budget and how to handle them. I did very well on this section, I know because my friend on the inside spoke with the guy that interviewed me. The next interview was for 30 minutes and it was with the former hiring manager, this went well, he also said that he would like to have me on his team. Next I had a break where I checked in on my current job. Next came the 1 hour case study. My case study consisted of this situation. Cap One sends out welcome packages when new customers sign up, currently they have 7-8k packages depending on a number of factors, credit rating, demographics, interest rate, ect. First question, "what is the problem with sending out this many packages". If you cant come up with reason for why this is a bad model then hang it up now and dont bother to apply. I reeled off so many the guy stopped me and said I had nailed it. Next he started talking about how they wanted to reduce the number of packages offered to between 5-10 instead of 7-10K. Question "what are the primary factors to determine in when you take on this task?" Again I reeled off a bunch of items until he stopped me and said I had plenty of reasons. All good so far. The next step is where the beginning of the end started. He gave me a sheet of paper with a list of tasks A through K I believe. Each of the tasks had the number of days it took to complete the task, and any predecessor task that must be completed. These tasks must be completed to send out the package information. He asked me to tell him how long it would take to send out a package. So I went through the tasks and came up with 30 days. I believe this was the correct answer from his feedback. Next he asked me to identify the steps in the critical path for delivery of the packages. I made one crucial mistake here. I said out loud "I need to create a picture here with a timeline for each task", but then decided to go through manually and try to determine the critical path items. Looking back I should have asked him to explain what he meant by critical path, every item has to be completed so you could make an argument they are all in the critical path. I "think" he was looking for items that elongated the process based on the next question. I know I got the critical path item wrong as I found out later on in the case. The next question he asked me is to identify the task that would shorten the time to deliver the packages if you could cut one of the items in half. Well one of the items takes 14 days and that is the obviously wrong choice "I said that out loud as well". Well once again I struggled on this, started cutting each one in half, and although I was talking out loud, I am not sure that it was good to do. I second guessed myself and probably looked like a monkey trying to make love to a football. In the end the guy doing the interview said, "can you find the critical path items if you draw a picture" and I did. I was then able to find the critical path items, and figure out the last task was the one that was the best to reduce the time to market. The shortest possible time was 26 days and you select the last task to cut in half. I burnt an entire hour this and am disgusted with my performance. They most likely had additional questions, but because I folded under pressure I did not make it to know. After I got some inside information there is no question I was more than qualified and several of the people said "he would have been great" and I am so disappointed he did not pass the case study. I have not yet received my rejection notification, but I am sure it is coming tomorrow. I find it silly that a case study that has nothing to do with the job I interviewed for will keep me from receiving on offer. I only posted this because I want to help someone else that interviews with Cap one, is very qualified, and does not have to deal with the overwhelming feeling of failure that I feel at the moment. The good news is that I still have a job that I am doing great at and a very nice suit to wear in the future. Good luck.

Interview Questions

• Case study - read about every one you can. If you fail the case study the rest of the interview makes no difference at all   4 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA).

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter out of the blue. Several phone interviews later and they flew me out to Virginia. Interview process was intense! I've never experienced the full day interview like Capital One. All VP's and Senior Directors I encountered were top notch and the recruiter was on top of the process. Even though I didn't get the position, it was a positive experience and I'll likely look at Capital One in the future.

Practice basic behavioral interview questions and scenarios related to the position you're applying for.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Capital One? Other behavioral questions...   Answer Question

Director Interview

Interview

Phone interviews, onsite 'power day' with cases and behavioral interviews. You should be prepared with examples for the behavioral questions ahead of time. Do some practice cases to get in the right mindset.

Interview Questions

• The usual behavioral questions. Cases are not overly complex but be careful not to make careless mistakes.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

The recruiter was very anxious to talk to me, asked me questions that were covered on my resume, and then said she had to discuss my resume with the hiring manager. After the hiring manager decided to move forward with the hiring process, I was asked to take two exams before moving on. One exam was a timed, verbal reasoning test. The other was a type of personality test where it asked if you were more likely to do scenario A or scenario B. Neither scenario was positive answer but you had to choose one. Clearly, they did not like my answers because I never heard from them again after submitting the exams.

Interview Questions

• Example: Are you more likely to disagree with your boss about an assignment or arrive late to meetings?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in July 2012.

Interview

Long and rigorous interview process involving multiple visits, phone calls and online tests. Overall I met with at least 12 people all around the country and had to pass a financial apptitide test that has a very high failure rate. Interviews were very focused on problem solving. After I was hired I never saw 90% of the people that interviewed me again.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Dallas, TX) in January 2014.

Interview

Telephonic screen with recruiter followed by full day of interviews
    Telephonic screen was pretty straightforward - overview of background, summary of transferable skills, motivation for leaving, why CapOne...also answered questions on the opportunity
    Multiple in person interviews testing fit, problem solving (case interviews), and behavioral attributes

Interview Questions

• Typical Behavioral questions on past experience such as "tell me about a time when..."
      2 Case interviews - one on retail store profitability and another on new product introduction
      Answer Question

Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

overall long process, multiple interviews. Everyone spoke with very enthusiastic about company. Highly encouraged applicant asking questions which was great. They look for you to interview them which was great. Everyone used behavioral, very standard questions.

Interview Questions

• use behavioral questions and standard questions for all applicants   Answer Question

Negotiation

not much flexibility basically a take it or leave it but did add on sign on bonus

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in December 2013.

Interview

The interview process started with a 30 minute phone interview with a Capital One recruiter and then a 30 minute phone interview with the hiring manager. I was then asked to take an online assessment, which included behavioral/basic accounting/finance multiple choice questions. I received word that I passed the test and was invited to interview in Richmond, VA. My interview day consisted of two hour long behavioral interviews and four fit test interviews. I received an offer about a week later. The entire process took about six weeks from start to finish. Finally, my Capital One recruiter did an amazing job keeping me informed throughout the entire process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how you used logic to solve a problem   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA).

Interview

very rigorous with multiple interviews and difficult analytically based case studies (X2)

Interview Questions

• None - questions were behavioral in nature   1 Answer

Negotiation

Very easy and straight forward