Capital One Software Engineer(Internship) Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Capital One

2.9

Software Engineer Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA).

Interview

Initially spoke to recruiters at a career fair at my university. I hit it off with one of the recruiters, and she took my information. I applied for an on campus interview through my school's career center.

On campus interview was a 45 minute session. Spoke to the recruiter about technology/programming in general. He asked some standard behavioral questions. Got an email an hour after the on campus inviting me to second rounds in Richmond.

Richmond interview had three parts- behavioral, case interview, and job fit (technical interview). Fairly standard technical interview for Sofware Engineering positions. Case interview was more business based (scenario driven, perform calculations, make recommendations). Behavioral was fairly standard, with some "tell me about a project when...".

Interview Questions

• Nothing too too terrible. Was a bit thrown off by the way the Case Interviewer started asking questions. Once I understood what she was actually asking, it wasn't a difficult case to analyze. Overall felt fairly average throughout the interview, not great, not terrible. Got a call two days later with an offer.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Software Engineer Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Capital One (Chicago, IL) in November 2013.

Interview

I had an interview on campus that consisted of mostly "Describe a situation when..." for me I found this relatively easy, some people I talked to found them difficult though.

I then was asked to go to Virginia for their final round of interviews, they seemed to ask roughly half of those they interviewed to the final round. There I had three separate interviews Case, Behavioral, and Technical. The Case was reasonably simple, but I actually ended up screwing up a bit at the end. The technical questions and behavioral were pretty easy. The technical question was essentially, write a program where you are given a string and find the substring.

Over all it was a pretty nice interview process and they make sure you're completely comfortable. They even let you talk to employees at a restaurant before the interviews so you are more relaxed.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Because it was an internship it was difficult to negotiate, however they did give me my preferred location.

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Capital One conduced interviews on my campus. They were three back to back 45 minute interviews, consisting of a case, technical, and behavioural interview.

Case Interview: The case interview is a walkthrough of a business problem with a lot of math involved. (e.g. given two vendors who charge things at different prices and different conversion rates, decide the better one to pick). As long as you can communicate with your interviewer to get to the solution you should be fine.

Technical: Behavioural portion, followed by one object oriented design question, two Leetcode easies.

Behavioral: Roughly four "Tell me about a time when" questions. Be prepared for these and come up with good examples.

Interview Questions

• Q: Given a string of words and a pattern string, find if the words match the pattern

Q: Make a deep copy of a linked list with an extra pointer that can point to any other node.   Answer Question

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One in September 2018.

Interview

Three on-campus back to back interviews to serve as final round interview. Behavioral interview, case interview, and job fit (technical) interview. Turnaround time on decision was less than one day.

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

I was invited to an onsite interview, and the actual onsite consisted of 3 interviews: 1 technical, 1 behavioral, 1 case. I think it's the same for full time as well. The case interview was very interesting and something new. The technical and behavioral are as expected.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in December 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was invited straight to the final round interview in Richmond, VA. The onsite interview consisted of 3 interviews - one behavioral, one technical, and one case study.

Interview Questions

• Validate Binary Search Tree, some encryption/decryption questions in the case study   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New Brunswick, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (New Brunswick, NJ) in September 2017.

Interview

Had initial phone screen followed by an on campus interview. 3 parts: general coding, design, behavioral. The design part asked a few security related questions. The behavioral was mostly about how you approach problems within a team.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in December 2017.

Interview

I interviewed for the internship position in Richmond, VA. Where I had 3 interviews where two were technical and one was behavioral. One of the technical interviews were based on code comprehension, where you were asked to read code and you work to improve the code. The other technical internship was based on data structures.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in December 2017.

Interview

An hour tour of the offices followed by lunch followed by three 45 minute interviews, a behavioral, a case study, and a skills interview. Case study is mostly algebraic math.

Interview Questions

• What is a time where you had to make a tight deadline and how did you make it work?   Answer Question

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

It was 3 stages, case study, behavioral, and technical aspect. None of it was difficult, however make sure your behavioral is good. The case study involved some made up scenario; they just want to see your thought process.

Interview Questions

• How to determine if a BST (given) is valid?   2 Answers