Capital One Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,159 Interview Reviews

3.3

1,159 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Phone interview with HR. Behavior question and three math questions. The math question is not tricky and not involved calculus or other college level math. Second round is the data challenge.

Interview Questions

• A gas station has 30 gallon of gasoline worth 1.20 per gallon and some worth 1.40 per gallon .how many gallons of the 1.40 brand must the owner mix in to produce gasoline that cost 1.28 per gallon   2 Answers

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

lengthy! interviewed with at least 5 people. case interviews had simple business problems but you are being judged on how well you formulate your thinking, communicate the important aspects and do the math. Behavioral round goes in to your people skills/temperament and occasionally there is a job fit round as well.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you faced a difficult decision   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

One 30 min case interview. It was a probability case. It was pretty math intensive. There were no behavioral questions. The interviewer jumps right into the case. There is time at the end to ask the interviewer any questions one might have.

Associate Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA).

Interview

Campus interview was extremely simple for me. I originally applied for the SWE position but was recommended for the DA position instead. I was asked 4 simple eligibility questions (citizen, graduation date, etc) and then we just had a short discussion about the role and data analytics. No case interview, no behavioral questions, no technical interview, it was a very very casual discussion even though the email said to expect a case interview. I got an email 4 hours later inviting me for the final interview in Richmond, which I accepted. Honestly believe they should have screened better for the applicant's sake and the company. If I wouldn't be able to pass a case interview in the early round then save us both the time and money to send me out there for a final round interview.

Anyway, the final interview went like this:

2 case interviews and a behavioral interview over the course of around 3 hours. Behavioral interview was 3 or 4 questions, not too bad. Just search glassdoor or google for common questions and follow the STAR format.

Case interviews were not bad either. Read/watch the practice case for a general idea of what is expected. Do the best you can to completely walk through and explain stuff. I felt I did a good job doing this in the first case, but for some reason I totally zoned more in the second case and was a little put off by my interviewer. The math was very simple algebra in both interviews, but again for whatever reason I kept getting caught setting up equations for whatever dumb reason. If anything I think I fell apart and needed more help in that 2nd case when I shouldn't have.

I also had a messier work sheet for the first case and they collect the paper you do your math on so make sure you are organized and label stuff. I did a better job of this in the 2nd case after I realized they were collecting them. Could just be to make sure you aren't sharing the info with others, but they could also be reading them to see your work/labeling, etc.

Went on a tour around the Richmond campus. This definitely will not impact your offer becuase as you are going on the tour the interviewers are discussing your fate for an offer or not. ask your tour guide anything about working there.

Got a very brief call the next morning that went to voicemail. I couldn't check it, but I got an email 10 minutes after the call with no offer.

avg process overall, but I wish they did a more thorough screening process. Yea it's fun to get the final interview, but traveling takes a lot of time out of your life as a senior and if you didn't have a strong chance to begin with well cut me and move on early on.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to ask for help on a problem   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Capital One (Nashville, TN).

Interview

Asked a simple case interview question. After solving the case, asked a few behavioral questions. Overall, the process was very straightforward. The interviewer was very cordial and they got back to me within two weeks.

Interview Questions

• Would you rather have more tenants that pay less money, or less tenants that pay more money? The profit is the same.   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Recruiter screen then phone case.. After the phone case there would have be a final round with case questions, but I didn't make it that far. I believe that I answered the qualitative case questions really well. But needed a bit of guidance regarding the quantitative questions. I answered them correctly, but probably not fast enough for their liking. Additionally, there was some confusion over the interviewer's verbiage. I think Capital One pays too much attention to how quickly you an solve the problem. And doesn't place much emphasis on other elements important to the case like your thought process and the more qualitative elements. For that reason it's probably not a good fit.

Interview Questions

• Lotteries are typically run by government agencies. Governments often use the funds for public school education, etc.
      1. Why might people buy a lottery ticket?
      The lottery has 3 prize levels and when you buy a ticket you are put in contention for all 3 prize levels
      Odds:
      1st : 1 in 10 million, the prize is 1 million
      2nd :1 in 1000, the prize is 200
      3rd :1 in 10, the prize is 5 dollars
      2 million tickets are sold
      Tickets cost 2 dollars to buy
      4 million in revenue from ticket sales
      2. On average, how much should an individual expect to win from the lottery?
      3. Is buying the lottery ticket a good deal for consumers?
      4. How can the lottery attempt to sell more tickets?

Let’s say, the lottery modifies its prize structure
      They decide to add an additional 4 million in prize money, split between the 2nd and 3rd options. This money is split collectively between all winners
      1st :1 in 10 million, the prize is 1 million
      2nd :1 in 1000, the prize is 200. There is also a 2 million prize which will be split collectively between the winners
      3rd :1 in 10, the prize is 5 dollars. There is also a 2 million prize which will be split collectively between the winners
      5. What is the collective value of a ticket now?
      6. How many additional tickets does the lottery have to sell to break even on the money they put toward the new prizes? Assume, they’ve already broken even on the cost of the other lottery prizes.
      7. Is it viable to sell that amount of additional tickets?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA).

Interview

I applied through my school's recruitment site (resume drop) and got notified relatively quickly about a first round interview on campus. This interview was one 30 minute case (despite them saying they don't try to trick you with math the case was very math based). After a few days I was notified I had moved on to the final interviews at their campus in Richmond. All candidates stayed overnight at a Hotel and then went to Capital One in the morning for 3 interviews and a campus tour (which was so cool). 2 case interviews (again math based but still needed to have strategy insights) with behavioral questions sprinkled and then one product interview (which was honestly pretty fun however it was kind of stressful when they put you on the spot for 10 ideas about how to improve a random product). Overall a great experience and they let me know the next day I had received an offer.

Commercial Banking Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (New York, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

I applied through my University and was immediately given a final round interview at their offices in NYC. The superday consisted of three interviews, a case, behavioral, and fit interview. The case was quantitative and fairly easy to understand and do. The behavioral and fit interviews were standard.

Interview Questions

• Name the three financial statements and how you would use them in determining whether to give out a loan.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you had to work on a difficult team   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One in November 2017.

Interview

I was contacted for an initial case interview over the phone and selected one of the later dates from the options provided. I was that all the spots for the second round were full so I had to wait about a month to hear back. I then was contacted two days before the proposed interview date and luckily was able to make it. Day of, there was 3 interviews, two case and one product interview. The cases were reasonable and doable and the product interview was to test your creativity. At the beginning of each interview they asked 1-2 behavioral questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Washington, DC) in November 2017.

Interview

First round interview on campus followed by a second round at one of the offices. The turnaround from the first round and second round was very quick (within 1 day).