Capital One Business Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Capital One Business Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Apr 7, 2017

3.3

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in April 2017.

Interview

The entire interview process was pretty pleasant. The interviewers were all really friendly, knowledgeable, and honest about their experiences at Capital One. They'd all been there at least 7 or 8 years and clearly enjoyed their jobs. I had a first round phone interview that dove straight into a case, and found out a few days later that I'd be having an in-person super day the next week. Two cases, very numbers-heavy, and a product interview that was more creative business thinking. I was nervous and definitely made a few mistakes while I was working through my cases, but I worked through my thought process with the interviewers and they were very helpful. Product interview was really fun! In general, I tried to stay relaxed and friendly, and act as if I was already a part of the team.

They took care of my travel, hotel, and food expenses and there was a cute goody bag with snacks and travel gear waiting at the hotel. There were a few other candidates in my group who were clearly very intelligent and friendly, too. The only unpleasant aspect to the whole process was that I didn't find out about my phone interview until the day before so it felt pretty rushed.

Interview Questions

• Break even analysis and market entry calculations, more math heavy than traditional consulting-style cases. Plus the more creative-thinking product interview.   1 Answer

Product Management/Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

A phone case study interview of 45 min (was given only 30 min since the interviewer had to attend a meeting). The case study was fairly easy. Followed by any questions you have about the company and the role.

Note to Capital One HR: Not giving the stipulated time to the candidate will not result in a fair assessment. If you expect to conduct a phone interview, at least make sure your analysts have a free schedule for the interview time slot.

Interview Questions

• Real Estate Case Study- Price factors and Breakeven analysis.
      Similar to the interview training video of Capital One.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Capital One (Pittsburgh, PA) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online after going to the Capital One booth at my campus career fair. Had my first-round interview on campus. It was a 30 minute case interview that tested mainly quantitative skills, but also had some open ended analytical questions. The case and the questions on it were fairly basic.

Interview Questions

• As the owner of an apartment complex, would you rather charge a higher rent but have less tenants or charge a lower rent but have more tenants, if both options result in the same profit?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in January 2017.

Interview

Long process. Started in September and completed earlier in January. Met them on campus. Had an on campus case interview. Phone behavioral. Three more interviews on site in Richmond two months later. Two cases and one product interview. Overall fun process. I thought I did well on the cases and product but guess not because I didn't get the offer.

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (New York, NY).

Interview

Had multiple phone Interviews prior to an in-person super day. Each phone call consisted had a case study example that I had to solve over the phone. Other then that, the interview was smooth and classic behavior questions were asked. At the super day, I was interviewed by 3 different people. The first interview was a behavioral interview, asking questions about my experiences and how I reacted to certain situations. The next two interviews were case studies, one was credit card related and tied to what work the analyst does and the other was very random (I remember it being about farms and hay stacks.) Unfortunately, I did not receive an offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in December 2016.

Interview

Recruiter set up power day. Two case interviews and one behavioral interview. Then lunch with a current employee. After lunch I was asked to complete a third case. Some people were sent home at that point. I got stuck (on something easy) and once it took longer than it should the interviewer visually gave up on it even though he helped move past where I was stuck, I was able to get through the case. I was allowed to leave and told they would contact me within a few days. The auto reject email came about 30 minutes before the recruiter called to tell me the same on the next day. The third case was the killer for me. In hindsight and as a help to future interviewers, the cases are NOT as hard as they make them out to be. If you are worried about studying up in advance, spend your time on business math drills, break even analysis (pretty high level) and being able to back into numbers quickly. Also practice mentally viewing numbers in number scales to help you get through the cases quicker with less chance of misplacing zeros. If I had focused here instead of honing up on business math formulas I was rusty with (probability as an example) I believe I would have done fine. Marketing response rates and pricing were part of two of the cases. The reason behind why Capital One uses these types of interviews seems solid and it definitely an employer I had targeted. I do find that if they assume qualitative insights in more of a learned aspect of a BA job and they focus almost exclusively on acquiring quantitative people. The process favors a model of processing data over people with real world hands on experience in my opinion. All of the staff was polite but clearly this process is just as much of a beating for them as it is for interviewees. There was very little passion from interviewers as they walked through the cases…like it was drudgery.

Interview Questions

• Business case about direct mail pieces that had different interest rates, resulting in different take rates, and different average balances.   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One in December 2016.

Interview

Gave online screening test. Did not hear back from them. Found out online I was rejected, no email or anything. The test was fairly simple, some questions were not worded well though

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One in November 2016.

Interview

I went to a career fair, and talked to the recruiter. I also went to an info session the previous day. I submitted an application to their website, and to my schools career site and was chosen for an on campus interview a month later. The interview went well, but I made small simple math mistakes which I should not have. The case interview is fairly easy so they expect you to do it perfectly. I am awaiting to hear if I get sent to the final round in their Virigina offices.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in November 2016.

Interview

First round interview on campus was an easy business case. Got invited to final round interviews shortly after. Interviews in Richmond consisted of three individual interviews, two case and one product case. The two business cases were very quantitative and involved profits and breakeven calculations about auto insurance and the wheat industry. The product case was about how to improve a product and product creation. I received a rejection call within one day. Overall it was a positive experience, and they offer you a lot of support and communication throughout the process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

Three interviews. Two case interviews and one product interview. Case interviews test business and quantitative thinking ability while the product interview tests creative thinking. The case interviews are more difficult than the product interview. Know basic profit analysis (breakevens and weighted averages). Also know basic algebra (systems of equations)

Interview Questions

• Explain 10 ways to redesign a toothbrush   1 Answer