Capital One Data Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Capital One Data Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Mar 23, 2017

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in March 2017.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me through a job portal site for this position and scheduled a phone-screen interview. Interview process took 2 weeks and this was an easy interview and I performed well answered every question but I don't have any idea where my performance was not good and they offered someone without giving meany feedback.

Interview Questions

• It s about previous experiences and problems you resolved as well as the tools you used?   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

After one month I submitted my resume on campus recruiting website, I receive an email to do a Data Challenge. Gives 4 days to finish and mainly about data analysis, machine learning, and statistics modeling. You can use any software / language to conduct the analysis. All questions are "open answers" question. Especially the last question you have four options and just need to answer one of these.

Interview Questions

• Doing a project about New York City taxis data. Firstly do some basic summary statistics and box-plots. Next one is to ask you to identify which trips are from / to the three airports in NYC. Then asking you to build predictions models for tips to the driver. There are like 20 variables include continuous and categorical variables. Last question you have 4 options, I choose the data visualization one, which is plot the pickup and drop-off locations for taxis, but also need to customize some settings to make it more informative.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in University Park, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (University Park, TX).

Interview

It was a phone case interview problem. Capital one gives you a practice one online. It was challenging to do this over the phone since usually you can show your interviewer your work you had to talk out every single mathematical step.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Champaign, IL) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied at career fair, was emailed a week later with an invitation for an on campus interview. The interview was 45 minutes long, behavioral and not too hard. The interviewer was mainly asking about my passions in the field and what excites me about the job.

Interview Questions

• Where do you look to find out about new technology?   Answer Question
    • What is one current innovation in technology that excites you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

4 Rounds in total, I could only go till 3. Started with a basic introductory round where I was asked about my background and a few quantitative questions. Followed by a Hacker Rank challenge and a case study.

Interview Questions

• For the first round it was questions related to simple interest, compound interest etc. For hacker Rank 2 SQL questions and 2 pytho questions. Case study was an open data set that was required to be analysed.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Capital One in January 2017.

Interview

The HR just gives me a phone interview. The procedure is a little awkward but I am still okay with the result. He asked me several general questions and ask for my backgrounds.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience in using Excel   1 Answer

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in December 2016.

Interview

1: Phone Interview with basic background questions followed by 5 basic arithmetic questions to solve. The answers need to be right, else you don't proceed ahead.
    Some of the Topics: weighted averages, break-even quantities/prices, simple interest, profit calculation. (I found most of the sums asked already here)

2. Hackerank Challenge - R, Python, Java, JavaScript

3. Data Challenge - Given the dataset you need to perform analysis and give recommendations (Difficult)

4. On site Interview : If you get one, your recruiter would provide you on how to prepare and topics needed in detail

a. Case Interview - 2
    b. Data Challenge presentation
    c. Behavioral Interview

For me Case Interview Topics I already found them here, though I have summarized them and here they are here, I bet you practice all of this, you get the job

Interview Questions

• They check for your attitude, your approach and your anxiety level! I solved both the case studies and I know I rocked the behavioral and Data challenge round, but still didn't ended up not being selected, why?   5 Answers
    • References?   2 Answers

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One in November 2016.

Interview

HR contacted me directly from LinkedIn. I took one coding challenge, one data challenge, and one site interview after that. The coding challenge is not hard, and data challenge took time. They will give you one week to finish the data challenge, so you don't have too much worries on time.

Interview Questions

• What does coding challenge look like?   1 Answer

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One in November 2016.

Interview

Applied through LinkedIn and was contacted by a recruiter to schedule a phone screen that would involve math based questions. Everything seemed normal until the actual phone call happened. During the phone screen I was constantly interrupted while answering questions on my background. When we got to the math questions the first question I was asked was one involving ratios. I answered the question correctly as it was asked but I was told I was wrong. I respectively asked the recruiter to explain why I was wrong and when she did the math still did not seem correct. I was told that I was not a good fit so the interview ended there. I followed up with an email challenging the question that was asked and explaining how I got to my answer. I then received an email back with the a slightly different question and it was insinuated that I must have misheard even though I had the recruiter repeat the question back to me when I first heard it. This was by far the most disrespectful interview I have ever encountered and would advise anyone to clarify any questions asked.

Interview Questions

• Originally asked: If the ratio of green to red is 2 to 7 and there are 70 total marbles, how many green are there?
      Amended question after email: If the ratio of green to red is 2 to 7 and there are 70 red marbles, how many green are there?
      1 Answer

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

The first round was a resume screening. I applied through my university and received a second email which was the next round. The second round consisted of a coding challenge using my choice of open-source software. The goal was to analyze a large data set and draw any conclusive recommendations from it and advise whether ABC Company should move forward with their proposed business venture.

Interview Questions

• From your analysis, would you recommend ABC Company to take on this venture?   1 Answer