Capital One Data Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 7, 2017

3.2

222 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Interview

Recruiter contacted me over email, then a phone call explaining the interview process.
    First round - hackerrank coding challenge, questions about programming, questions about SQL.
    Second round - Data challenge. Given a data set, give recommendations,
    Third round - Onsite interview - 4 round of interviews - behavior, 2 case interviews, data challenge discusssion.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One (Columbus, OH) in October 2017.

Interview

45 minutes interview. Had a few preset questions and then we had an open discussion. I learned a lot about my role, my day to day duties and the company culture.

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

First was a phone interview. Pretty brief, informing next steps including an online coding test, followed by a data challenge (given 1 week to complete), and case studies (will ask you to review your math skills). Followed by in person interviews later on.

Interview Questions

• Tell me more about your background and your thought process.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in September 2017.

Interview

Invited for final round to their headquarters. There were 3 rounds. 1) Behavioral 2) Case Interview (this discussed profits, revenues, percentages) 3) Case Interview (discussed entering a satellite industry). The third round was the hardest because I was just given a data sheet, and the person just spoke a total of 3 words and expected me to calculate everything. After the interview, she just zoomed out without even shaking my hand.

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Long process with many steps. You start with a coding challenge. If you pass that then you go to a data challenge, case study questions, and an in person interview.

Interview Questions

• For the data challenge you will have to use a free software to analyze the data.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in May 2017.

Interview

The process took 4+ weeks in total. Started with an online coding/SQL hackerrank challenge. This challenge is pretty simple but timed, so have to be quick. If you get through this, the next is the data challenge. They give you one dataset, set of questions, and 1 week to solve it. It is mostly related to doing a marketing research for a company to enter or not into the market. If you get through this, you are invited to the onsite loop which consists of 4 back to back rounds.
    1. Behavioral round
    Questions: Tell me about a project when you used your data analysis skill, Tell me about a time when you convinced someone to see things your way, How would you like to work in an environment that changes pretty quickly.
    The drill down into details of each thing you say - so be prepared with stories from your past.
    2. Data challenge discussion
    In this round they discuss the solution that you submitted in the data challenge round. They are looking to see your approach and why/why not you chose a certain approach.
    3. Two Case Interviews
    These are the main deciding factors I feel, they are very peculiar about the mathematical nuances and calculations. Cases in themselves are pretty simple, but "public maths" can be intimidating. Atleast for me it was.

Interview Questions

• Case 1: Cap1 had ATMs which operate on a certain cost (operating cost, teller cost etc was given). Now they have built a mobile app which can be used by users to scan the check and save it. The cost of the app was also given and the total number of ATM transactions was given Q1. Find what %age of transactions should be moved to mobile in order to break even. Then additional details were given - mobile apps are susceptible to frauds, with an associated cost per transaction. Q2. With this additional cost, do you think, we should still go ahead with the app idea? Basically you had comapre the profits in both the cases. Q3. What are the ways we can improve our profits from the mobile app?   Answer Question
    • Case 2: Credit card Costs, loss rate, interest, other fees, average spend, average balance, and transaction volume were given, I had to calculate the Profit per customer. Then the next part introduced a cash back offer with 1% cash back on the average spend. Q2. Is it profitable? Shall we go ahead with this? So, basically compare the profits from the first part against this. Q3. what would be the optimal cashback percentage? some additional data points were given at this time. Q4. Finally I had to plat the curve that shows the cashback% and profits.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in May 2017.

Interview

I had overestimated the importance of database management and underestimated the role of Python programming for this position when preparing for the interview. While Python is one of my most proficient programming languages, all of the programs I developed in this language were for homework assignments, not professional or semester-long academic projects. The interviewer was intent on having me detail how I analyzed data with Python (and only Python). This threw me off. Granted I sent a list of the work I have done with Python programs in my thank you letter to the interviewer, but I'm afraid the damage is done. I wish the interviewer allowed me to summarize my projects that utilized other programming languages, like MATLAB and R-Statistics.

Interview Questions

• Suppose you take out a loan of $3000 for 1 year. If the loan has an interest of 2% for the first 5 months and 14% for the rest of the year, how much interest will you have to pay by the end of the year?   3 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in May 2017.

Interview

Found the job role through LinkedIn. Contacted by recruiter after 10 days submitting my resume. Scheduled 30mins quick phone call for knowing each other. Recruiter asked me about python,SQL experience and also explained what is the difference between data analyst and data scientist. Next round will be coding challenge on HackerRank. 2 SQL and 2 general programming questions.(75mins) This round is easy no worries. After that, I got my data challenge dataset. Enough time(1 week) to do comprehensive analysis about the dataset.(not difficult but time-consuming) Pass rate won't be very high this round. Last round will be on-site. 2 case+1 behavioral+1 data challenge presentation. Capital one's case interview is different from Big 3's. They are less structured but more quantitative intensive.(tons of numbers) I think its ok if you made some little mistakes during calculation(I forgot *12 months when I calculate yearly profits) interviewer will give you hint to correct it, but you need to express your thought well organized. Behavioral questions can be found in this site all same.
    After that, 1-hour lunch with other members of the line of business and the other candidates . I got a feedback that I am a recommend for hire very quickly like 2 hours later.
    Capital one's hiring process is clear and decent. Having lots of fun!

Interview Questions

• What is your proudest project?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in May 2017.

Interview

There were many rounds.
    1. Telephonic casual interview by recruiter
    2. Coding challenge (Basic SQL, and coding using any language)
    3. Data Challenge ( given a data you have to do your analysis) - this took a long time and effort
    4. Onsite interview- There were 4 interviews here
    a. Behavioral - General Tell me a situation question
    b. Case- Mobile App checq deposit case. You have to basically find break even. It was hard to understand what the interviewer was telling.
    c. Data challenge interview- The interviewer will ask about the Data challenge. Be ready to answer any question
    d. Case Interview- Credit card case. Where one group is divided into test other into control. You have to find the profit .

The hardest for me was case interview. Despite a lot of prep. I would suggest the biggest factor here is to comprehend what the interviewer is asking and putting it in a equation. Once you figure the equation you can easily crack the case as it is simple Math.

I believe there are not many openings here and the interview just keeps happening. I invested more than a month on this process and did not get a job. More than Data analysis they look at how well you understand the Banking domain which is not appropriate for I am from a Technical background.

Advise to all : do not put all your eggs in this process. This is a little shady considering that they value only a crappy case interview so heavily.

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One in May 2017.

Interview

First I had a phone round in order to know more about my background details like education and college. Then comes the coding round which is easy to crack with some sense of mind and intelligence. Next follows the Data Challenge. You will be given some time to solve the challenge with a data set and instructions on what to do. This will have a lot of expectations which they don't mention. Lastly the face to face interview

Interview Questions

• Given a Data Challenge and was asked to solve using any technology   2 Answers