Capital One Director Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Capital One Director Interview Questions

Updated Apr 26, 2017

3.7

Technical Director Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Very nice and friendly. Offered a lot of feedback. Interview questions were the same as those posted in previous Glassdoor posts. Interviewed on campus which consisted of three 45 minute rounds of behavioral, technical, and case interview.

Interview Questions

• Design question: How would you design a customer support chat interface?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA).

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter out of the blue. Several phone interviews later and they flew me out to Virginia. Interview process was intense! I've never experienced the full day interview like Capital One. All VP's and Senior Directors I encountered were top notch and the recruiter was on top of the process. Even though I didn't get the position, it was a positive experience and I'll likely look at Capital One in the future.

Practice basic behavioral interview questions and scenarios related to the position you're applying for.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Capital One? Other behavioral questions...   Answer Question

Creative Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tysons Corner, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Capital One (Tysons Corner, VA).

Interview

I sat in a room in Tysons Corner headquarter with a screen and Skyped with a person in Richmond. He asked me many questions about different scenarios and how I, not a team or a partner, reacted in those scenarios. He was rude, disbelieving, repeated my answers back to me as if they were lies, and repeated himself multiple times. I was very close to getting up and walking out, and knew then that the company was bureaucratic and political.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you were in an all-day meeting and people needed to get in touch with you about a different project?   Answer Question

Information Technology Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Dallas, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

1) Contacted by recruiter. 2) Phone screen by recruiter. 3) Phone interview with a manager. 4) Turned down because I was perceived as not technical, although I have extensive technical experience and my resume elaborates on it. Not a single technical question was asked. My perception was that there was a bias against women in IT, particularly non-Asian women.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about my management experience.   1 Answer

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

Went through first phone interview with HR and then a couple with hiring manager.
    Second was full day on-site interview with 4 different senior directors plus 1 VP and 1 managing VP for 1 hour each approx.
    Third was again onsite full day with 3 senior VPs.
    While it was positive with first SVP, the second SVP in my opinion had a chip on his shoulder. It was evident when he made a comment looking at my resume to the effect that he does not have as many advanced degrees that I have... it felt odd in the gut.

After talking to him there was a 30 minute wait till next VP walked in. It was evident from his "lukewarm 10 minute, not interested in you as advised by my previous SVP" kind of attitude that this job and place is not going to work.

All except the last two guys I talked to were decent, courteous and very professional. The last two in the third round were of Asian descents and unprofessional with personal issues.

Not surprised that there was no offer!

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions with preferred framework of situation, action and goal.

Technical questions were easy for someone at senior Director position.
      Answer Question

Software Engineering Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in December 2016.

Interview

Started with a couple of phone screens from different areas of the company for them to find out where I would be most interested in joining. I liked this as it was them showing that I had a couple of strong skill sets and they were wanting to know about me before rushing to decisions.

Followed this by another phone screen, about 20 minutes, by the hiring manager. Then a "power day" interview with 7 1:1 interviews including beahvioural, and the case interview.

One more round of face to face, 1:1 interviews, this time only 2, with an offer a couple of days later.

The entire process took about 45-60 days, but much of that was interupted by Thanksgiving and Christmas/New Years.

Director Interview

Interview

Phone interviews, onsite 'power day' with cases and behavioral interviews. You should be prepared with examples for the behavioral questions ahead of time. Do some practice cases to get in the right mindset.

Interview Questions

• The usual behavioral questions. Cases are not overly complex but be careful not to make careless mistakes.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

The recruiter was very anxious to talk to me, asked me questions that were covered on my resume, and then said she had to discuss my resume with the hiring manager. After the hiring manager decided to move forward with the hiring process, I was asked to take two exams before moving on. One exam was a timed, verbal reasoning test. The other was a type of personality test where it asked if you were more likely to do scenario A or scenario B. Neither scenario was positive answer but you had to choose one. Clearly, they did not like my answers because I never heard from them again after submitting the exams.

Interview Questions

• Example: Are you more likely to disagree with your boss about an assignment or arrive late to meetings?   Answer Question

Director of Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in July 2016.

Interview

Email interview, phone interview, personality tests, and then an interview in Richmond, VA. Was basically told by all the recruiters that if I passed the personality tests I would be a shoe in based on my skill level. I had more than enough experience in the technical portion (its a very niche field and there aren't a lot of qualified people in this area) and the management experience since I was holding a similar role at my current position. Went to the interview in Richmond and was asked a lot of technical questions. Was called 3 days later that they weren't proceeding in hiring me. There was no reasons given until I pushed. I received the message that the interviewers thought I wasn't ready yet for a Director level position with no real reason. I answered every question they asked correctly, I had more than enough experience, I am well respected and recognized in my field, and many of the interviewers complimented me during the interview process. I felt as though my age played a part in the process since I am in my early 30's because I am currently a Vice President doing Director level work. I am to this day still baffled as to why I wasn't given an offer seeing as the interview was full of nothing but praises, compliments, and one of the interviewers even said to me, "Don't worry we'll have you starting soon you will do well here." It's really their loss. When I followed up on the job 4 months later they still hadn't hired anymore.

Interview Questions

• How would you solve _______ technical issues if someone came up to you and asked you a question.   1 Answer

Creative Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Capital One (Washington, DC) in May 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Actually a couple times to same position, recruiter called me to set up a prescreen. The recruiter was very cordial, gave me background on the job/culture, was forthcoming with information that was relevant to the discussion, conversational. The experience alone was professional and a great sign of the company's culture. Even more, I received a follow up phone call to say I was no longer being considered, which to me, is the first that's ever happened. Kudo's to the Richmond recruiting office for that. Even though I was disappointed, I give this a thumbs up.

Interview Questions

• It was a pre-screen so it was more general about career and career path.   Answer Question