Capital One Operations Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Capital One Operations Analyst Interview Questions

3.7

95 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA).

Interview

It was a case interview with practical questions along with a typical STAR interview. Some of the interviewers were very nice, some were short and on the rude side. We had to calculate for example if a transaction over the credit limit would be allowable or not or decide whether to roll out a certain campaign. If you are not familiar with the industry it can be tough.

Interview Questions

• Would you allow a transaction over the credit limit. They provided numbers for you to be able to calculate it.   1 Answer

Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Capital One in March 2016.

Interview

I got a case interview via phone for 30 minutes, lots of data and concepts. It was pretty hard for me ,especially international students like me to grasp the very idea whether it is 15 or 50, and also through the process, i made some basically math mistakes,so that is why i think i will fail......I would prefer one-on-one case interview

Interview Questions

• Deciding the strategy whether to enter a specific market.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in April 2015.

Interview

First a phone call with the recruiter followed by a phone case interview which was pretty simple.

Power day at their campus included 4 interviews- 2 cases plus 2 behavioral. Behavioral interviews are the most straightforward interviews on earth. Three straight questions are asked with an expected STAR format answer. Cases are adaptive in that the difficulty of cases will increase as you answer questions correctly.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to anticipate a problem and resolve it before it became an issue.
      Tell me about a time when you had a difficult team to deal with.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in April 2015.

Interview

screening call from HR, then a phone case interview from a senior manager. And I was be invited to the onsite interview on Virginia. The whole process is great and HR is really helpful. Unfortunately, I didn't been asked to stay for the additional interview at afternoon. I received the rejected phone couple days later by calling from HR. They appreciated all the interviewees. It's a pleasure experience.

Interview Questions

• phone screening interview question is typical call center and customer volume. Simple math calculation.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst- Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melville, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Melville, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Met up with my recruiter who then followed me into the conference room. Then I was interviewed by 5 people ranging from Senior Director, Risk Managers, Operational Director and 2 Associates.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you worked hard at something and it didn't turn out the way you wanted to?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about yourself?   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when you analyzed data?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever worked with confidential information?   Answer Question
    • What kind of capital structure can be determined from these financial statements? What is the pattern?   1 Answer

Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One in March 2015.

Interview

The interview was straight forward. 2 cases 2 behavioral. Back to back interviews with a 15 min break. Any mathematical calculation error on cases will through you out of the game. Nice people. In my second case interview, the interviewer came 8 minutes late but left on time! Could not get enough time to reach the recommendation of the case.

Senior Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

The whole process went on very well and all the staff and interviewers were super nice. They were very helpful.
    2 case interviews and 2 behavior interviews for the final round at Richmond.
    Behavior questions were very similar to the prepare examples they provided before the interview. Get familiar with your previous experiences and remembered details would help. Behavior questions were not hard, just try to use the STAR format and you should be fine.
    Case interviews had lots of math and calculations. Once you figured out the equation, it is not that hard. My first case was about ATM and how to choose location to place an ATM, and list the revenue resources and cost resources. Then interviewer provided some data to calculate the calculate the annual profit. Then draw a graph about total volume using the ATM and the % of non capital one customers. Show how to increase profit on the graph. Then discussed some limitations such as could not have unlimited volume etc.
    My second case was about life insurance. You are a product manager and want to decide whether it is profitable. Customers will pay a premium to buy the insurance, and once they dead we need to pay a one-time fee to the beneficiaries. Also provided some other costs. Then calculated the max %of death if the company want to profit in a year. You have to assume when you customers will die during this year. Then provided 4 customers segments(A,B,C,D) with different probability of death but same % of population. Then we have 4 different strategies, 1 only contains A, risk is 1%, 2 contains A and B, risk is 2%, 3 contains A,B,C, risk is 3%, 4 contains A,B,C,D, risk is 4%. If you want to max profit, which strategy would you choose. Then draw a graph to show the relationship between the strategies and the total profit.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you had to pursue others to agree with you.
      Tell me a time when you had to quickly adapt to a changing object in a project.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in February 2015.

Interview

Capital one basically runs an interview mill in Richmond. I'm sure recruiters have to bring through X number of people a month. 2 behavioral and 2 case studies all back to back. Quite boring and repetitive. Don't waste your time.

Senior Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

There are 3 rounds of interviews. 1. recruiter telephone, basically introduce the company and the position and arrange the time for the next interview; 2. sr. manager telephone case interview 45 min. Telephone case interview is about call centers in US and Philippines. Calculation is simple, but strategic thinking is important, not easy to pass. Feedback is pretty quick. In the next day, you'll know the result from your recruiter.; 3. onsite case interviews and behavior interview
    The interval between interviews is 1 to 1.5 weeks
    Recruiter and interviewers are very nice

Interview Questions

• Behavior interview will ask very detail about your previous experience. You should prepare more examples in every aspects to show your personality and ability match the position and company   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA).

Interview

Met at on-campus career fair and submitted resume. Resume was sufficient to earn a first-round interview on my university's campus. Passed that and was invited to an interview at their Richmond, Virginia location. They paid for my flight there and back and my meals. The interview day at Richmond consisted of 3 interviews - 2 case interviews and 1 behavioral. The behavioral was just like any other job interview. The case interviews consisted of math problems involving various topics from credit card rates to life insurance. The interviewer is there to help you through the problem with any questions, but it is important to keep your work organized and not get stuck in one area.

Interview Questions

• Case question about call times. Constantly translating numbers into minutes or hours was a little confusing, but not too bad.   Answer Question