Capital One Principal Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Capital One Principal Interview Questions

Updated Jan 20, 2017

3.4

Principal Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Interviewed with basic Quant ..then moved to hackerrank..had a question on sql and programming.
    then was given data challenge..for data challenge you are given a dataset and have to come with innovative solutions. I took it lightly .. i feel they were looking for some kind of modelling..
    anyways, it is a nice experience and also the HR was really prompt.

Principal Associate, Talent Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in September 2016.

Interview

FANTASTIC interview process. Very structured and organized. It was definitely an objective process going through initial assessments to qualify, then behavioral based interviewing in person with hiring managers and members of the team.

My recruiter managed expectations in terms of timelines and what to expect. Overall one of the best interview processes I've been in thus far, thumbs up for candidate experience

Interview Questions

• Assessment, Behavioral Based, Job skills based

"tell me about a time when..."
      Answer Question

Principal Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One in August 2016.

Interview

I was referred for a position, had a phone screen with a HR manager, then another one with the manager I was going to work with. I was then invited on-site for a face to face interview (behavior &job fit) with senior managers and directors for 5 hours. I waited for a week to hear back from the recruiter who eventually contacted and told me I did great and they really liked me but the position I applied for cancelled . However she referred me to another position where I had to take an online assessment (Gmat type) , phone screening with a manager and on-site face to face interview with senior managers and directors. The whole process was smooth and their HR staffs are very professional.

Interview Questions

• behavioral questions. ..tell a time when you a difficult colleague on your team and had to deliver a project in tight delay, how did you manage your coworker   Answer Question

Negotiation

Their offer exceeded my expectations

Principal Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One in August 2016.

Interview

Initial phone screen was with all around questions including analytic and technical. Analytic questions were little vague and pertained to their business scenarios. Do no think the interview pattern gave a fair chance to folks who are skilled but not upto the point in expressing. Looked like he was expecting a predefined set of answers for vague and open ended questions.

Interview Questions

• Cap One customers drop out in the middle of using their mobile app. How would you analyse and report?   Answer Question

Principal Risk Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in August 2016.

Interview

Applied online directly with Capital One. Waited about 4-5 weeks then received an email from the recruiter to "test" for the job. The "test" is a three part timed test allowing about 20 minutes (more or less) for each portion including math word problems. Take as much time as you need to practice.

Interview Questions

• The recruiter asked me to describe a time when I came up with an idea in my current role for the company, what the idea was, and how it was used.

The recruiter asked me to take time over the weekend to "prepare" for the three part test. Advice well given.
      2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA).

Interview

I was contacted after I submitted an application online. Afterwards, I had an initial phone screen with the recruiter. Next, I was give a couple of assessments to complete, which reminded me of the GRE. They weren't too easy and I thought for sure I failed. I was notified that I was a match and proceeded to the next round, which was a phone screen with the hiring manager. After the second phone screen I was informed I made it to the in person interview round. I spoke with 5 people from various divisions within the department. I saw conference rooms nearby with people interviewing for the same role. Things went silent 2 weeks after my in person interview. After constant communication throughout the process, I was informed I did not get the position after I sent an email inquiring. I asked for feedback and didn't get any. After a very involved process I felt let down that there wasn't any feedback provided.

Interview Questions

• Explain a situation that revealed your strengths?
      Tell me about a time when you managed multiple priorities?
      Describe a big project you led and the outcome.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tysons Corner, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Capital One (Tysons Corner, VA) in June 2016.

Interview

Brief email exchange with recruiter about position and my expectations (salary). Multi-hour online code test to determine your programming skills. If you pass that, there is a technical phone screen. If you pass that they will bring you in for an on-site with 4 round of interviews. For me it was two behavioral, one job fit, one skills assessment. There were no real technical questions asked on the onsite it was more so going over my past and talking about it.

The most frustrating part of the whole process is I kill the interviews start to finish and am offered a position but they totally ignored the initial discussion about current and expected compensation. Nice guys, but they have rigorous pay bands, ensure you are OKAY with what they offer before wasting your time applying.

Interview Questions

• 6 STAR questions, JAVA online skills assessment (HackerRank), discuss past technical experiences   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Vienna, VA) in December 2015.

Interview

Brief call with Recruiter (Capital One Contractor). Call from Hiring Manager about 2 weeks later. Power day (8 hours total) of interviews: 1 primary banking relationship case, 1 case, 1 design challenge, 3 job fit. Overall the interviews weren't too difficult, but the full day can be exhausting. The cases are challenging, but interesting. Interviewers and casers were all friendly. A few days later, I let the recruiter know that I received another job offer, and asked for any updates. He said he would get back to me, but I never heard back. Up until the very end, my experience was positive. I really took Capital One as a different sort of bank. Unfortunately, the "ghosting" by the recruiter has changed my opinion tremendously. I took time off to interview, and spent quite a bit of time preparing for the various cases. A call or e-mail back saying there was no offer or not enough information would have been nice. If you make plans to go for a full power day, then make sure to get details about next steps. Make sure you really want the position, too. It is a long day and usually requires some prep. I had been warned by a former Capital One employee that I shouldn't bother, but I didn't listen. Lesson learned!

Interview Questions

• I was asked multiple times to tell them about myself and what I currently do.   1 Answer

Principal Process Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in November 2015.

Interview

I had a phone interview with the hiring manager on Monday and a face-to-face series of interviews on Friday of the same week. The face-to-face interviews consisted of 2 behavioral interviews and 2 job fit interviews. They gave me a small office-like room (including a café table and 2 chairs) for the day and all of the interviewers came to me. The job fit interviews were conducted by the hiring manager and his manager. The behavioral interviews were with managers from other groups within the same department. Between the 3rd and 4th interviews, the recruiter took me to lunch on site and showed me around the facilities a bit.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to convince others to support something about which they were originally opposed.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The offer they gave me was $5k higher than my current salary. No additional negotiation was necessary.

IS Audit - Principal Auditor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by an internal recruiter to apply for an existing position in Plano, TX (that of IS Principal Auditor, specifically). Between that initial conversation and providing my resume, the position was filled out of the Richmond, VA office. Odd, but okay. The recruiter expressed interest in me still, continuing the recruitment process by having a phone interview with someone in the same department I would be working. It went well and I was invited in for one of their "Power Day" programs, consisting of 4 interviews - 2 job fit and 2 behavioral. During one of the behavioral ones, the interviewer mentioned my potential responsibilities as an IS Manager - Internal Audit. (This is a higher level than Principal Auditor, requiring more experience but also offering better pay.) Confused, I asked for clarification in my thank you e-mail later that day and was told I was now being considered for the Manager level position. Fast forward 3 days later when I was contacted by the recruiter. Despite having the job qualifications, I was told that there was not a business case for the Manager position and thus they could not extend an offer.

So, to summarize: 1) contacted to apply for existing position; 2) position filled in another location; 3) asked in for an interview; 4) position switched on me without notice; 5) declined for job due to business need not existing (again, for new position they changed it to).

Very unethical and deceptive hiring practices. Beware!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to be persuasive to win someone over on a decision.   Answer Question