Capital One Systems Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 21, 2016

3.6

Senior Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Capital One (Washington, DC) in November 2016.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me directly based on my background/experience and after a couple calls/emails, I was given a link via email to a reading and numerical comprehension assessment.

The reading assessment was pretty straightforward. A small written passage is provided and then random multiple questions are asked about the passage. The answers are true, false, and needs more info. The numerical assessment contained GDP charts and economic graphs, with varying multiple choice answers based on random questions related to the chart or graph being displayed.

Unfortunately for me, I'm a systems engineer, not an economist nor a mathematician (which is why I was applying for a systems analyst position). I haven't taken an economics class in at least five years. I don't know how anyone in my career field would be able to pass this assessment without cheating. The recruiter told me that all employees have to take and pass this assessment, which to me seems amazingly idiotic. Why would an employer quiz people on such advanced and specific math questions that are unrelated to the position in question?

Suffice to say, I won't be applying to Capital One again while they require employees take and pass this ridiculous assessment.

Interview Questions

• If the Inflation Indices were reset at 100 again at the 3rd Quarter, what would be the 4th Quarter inflation index for Foods?   1 Answer

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in October 2015.

Interview

Applied for the job through my university and was contacted immediately to participate in a phone interview, at the end of which the recruiter invited me to take part in an upcoming round of on campus interviews. The day after this round of interviews I was called back to schedule on on-site interview in their Richmond office a week later. They put me up in a hotel the night before the interview and then went through a day consisting of 4 different interviews ranging from single case questions to completely behavioral questions. The next day I was called back with an offer of employment.

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in July 2014.

Interview

Applied via LinkedIn, got a call from the recruiter within 2 weeks and was phone screened that same day. The next step was an online assessment. You need to revise some basic math formulas and you are all set. Once the assessment is cleared the recruiter will give u next steps. I had a phone screen for job fit by my peer/senior team member. They let you know the results the next day and if u r cleared they schedule a face to face interview which is last step before the offer stage.
    My face to face consisted of 1 job fit 2 behavioral and 1 case. The case interview in my case was to find the critical path for a give set of activities by drawing the chart diagram. Some follow up questions included finding the total slack and scenario on eat happened is any one of the task was outsourced. Just a quick revision on project management should help with this one.
    HR has a quick turnaround time and they made it a smooth process.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Did not negotiate since they came back with higher numbers than initial discussion

Lead Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (San Francisco, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

Had a telephone interview with the hiring manager followed by all day interview on-site. On-site interview consisted of technical interview, case interview and behavioral interview.
    Team was courteous and fun. Didn't stick to the schedule though.

Interview Questions

• Technical interview was not tough.
      Had to clear a case interview since it was product management job. It was hard.
      Behavioral interview was easy.
      Answer Question

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One in June 2013.

Interview

Initial phone screening with placement agency, then one phone interview with hiring manager and current BSA on team. Surprisingly, did not have a face to face interview or visit to the office before offer was extended.

Interview Questions

• Describe a difficult situation at your previous job and how you resolved it   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX).

Interview

Prior to switching to Taleo, one would submit a resume into the black hole that was their HR system and never hear back. Following the implementation of Taleo, I heard back from a recruiter within two weeks of submitting my resume. HR can be slow, but their is an initial HR screen. If you meet their requirements, they will schedule you to take an online exam. This exam will be very similar to a GMAT or GRE with elements from most of the sections.

Should you pass this exam, they will schedule a "power day" with you, which will consist of several job fit interviews, a behavioral interview, and a case interview. The case will be specific to your job title.

If you succeed expect an offer within a week, salary can be negotiable.

Negotiation

a bit lower than what I asked for, met in the middle.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in August 2012.

Interview

The screening process took a long while (2+months) once I applied online. After the first recruiter call, there were 3 online assessments - verbal, numerical (both timed) and personality. The onsite interview was scheduled in a week. There are 4 interviews 45 min each - 2 behavioral (by IT managers/BSAs), 1 job fit (supposedly by the hiring manager and 1 case by a business person. Each interviewer has a question book and sticks to the same, jotting our answers as we speak. Typical behavioral questions ( 3 for each interview) are available in a Google search. It helps to be prepared with a few sample scenarios for these. Job fit questions are standard also - business vs technical requirement vs design with an example and functional vs non-functional, traceability matrix, testing support etc. My case was a problem to reduce the # of credit card welcome packets, with a critical path activity math exercise.

Capital one has a fabulous campus with demarcated interview rooms. My D-day had about 10 candidates. I was the only one in business casuals and everybody else were in suits.

Interview Questions

• Job fit - business requirement vs system requirement vs design
      Case - How to go about reducing the # of credit care welcome packets
      1 Answer

Senior Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in April 2012.

Interview

Power Day in Richmond! Lots of managers interviewing you. Actually about 3-4. Easy going interview. Behavioral interviewing, not so much with technical skills, but some. Preceeded by a phone interview with manager and peer. Offer came about 7 days later.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a mistake you made and how you overcame it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Once I understood the bonus plan, I didn't negotiate

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in April 2012.

Interview

The quantitative test was the most difficult online test compared to the other 2. Fortunately passed and was summoned for a 4 hour interview (2 behavioral, 1 job fit and 1 case) The job fit and case interviews were the worst! Job fit interview questions were endless and grueling, and the case interview required a manual calculation and drawing of a GANTT chart! I mean who has ever calculated the number of days in a large project manually?! I was prepared for business case type questions, but never for a project management question.

Interview Questions

• Manually calculate the number of days from a project schedule.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in December 2011.

Interview

I had an over the phone interview followed by on site interviews with 3 different people. Each of my on site interviewers had a specific set of questions for me (Skills, behavioral etc) and they noted down the answers on the interview sheet.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you had to influence clients to follow a different course of action.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I negotiated the salary with the Director of the team. Once I explained my reasons for requesting a higher salary he offered me a sign on bonus which I accepted.