Capital One Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2,870 Interview Reviews

3.1

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in May 2017.

Interview

The process took 4+ weeks in total. Started with an online coding/SQL hackerrank challenge. This challenge is pretty simple but timed, so have to be quick. If you get through this, the next is the data challenge. They give you one dataset, set of questions, and 1 week to solve it. It is mostly related to doing a marketing research for a company to enter or not into the market. If you get through this, you are invited to the onsite loop which consists of 4 back to back rounds.
    1. Behavioral round
    Questions: Tell me about a project when you used your data analysis skill, Tell me about a time when you convinced someone to see things your way, How would you like to work in an environment that changes pretty quickly.
    The drill down into details of each thing you say - so be prepared with stories from your past.
    2. Data challenge discussion
    In this round they discuss the solution that you submitted in the data challenge round. They are looking to see your approach and why/why not you chose a certain approach.
    3. Two Case Interviews
    These are the main deciding factors I feel, they are very peculiar about the mathematical nuances and calculations. Cases in themselves are pretty simple, but "public maths" can be intimidating. Atleast for me it was.

Interview Questions

• Case 1: Cap1 had ATMs which operate on a certain cost (operating cost, teller cost etc was given). Now they have built a mobile app which can be used by users to scan the check and save it. The cost of the app was also given and the total number of ATM transactions was given Q1. Find what %age of transactions should be moved to mobile in order to break even. Then additional details were given - mobile apps are susceptible to frauds, with an associated cost per transaction. Q2. With this additional cost, do you think, we should still go ahead with the app idea? Basically you had comapre the profits in both the cases. Q3. What are the ways we can improve our profits from the mobile app?   Answer Question
    • Case 2: Credit card Costs, loss rate, interest, other fees, average spend, average balance, and transaction volume were given, I had to calculate the Profit per customer. Then the next part introduced a cash back offer with 1% cash back on the average spend. Q2. Is it profitable? Shall we go ahead with this? So, basically compare the profits from the first part against this. Q3. what would be the optimal cashback percentage? some additional data points were given at this time. Q4. Finally I had to plat the curve that shows the cashback% and profits.   Answer Question

Senior Scrum Master Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One (Chicago, IL) in May 2017.

Interview

Phone Discussion with HR, Phone Interview, Power Day with 1 Case Interview, 2 behavioural , 1 Job Fit

I had a negative experience because one of interviewer didn't ask specific questions but was expecting specific answers or terms. Also, I felt this person didn't do good time management with her interview and probably didn't do a good job at taking interview.

It would have been helpful if panel provided some constructive feedback rather than just being nice to candidates.

Interview Questions

• Case with some data and math calculation.   Answer Question
    • tell me about a time, generally to do with related job experience expected   Answer Question

Teller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One (New Orleans, LA) in May 2017.

Interview

not very clear as to when or how you will hear a response as to when or if you will be hired; first you take an online assessment and then you submit an online interview and then wait and wait for a call back to see if they ask you to an interview at the branch

Customer Solutions Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, DE

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One (Wilmington, DE) in May 2017.

Interview

Filled out an application online, completed an online simulation consisting of a call center environment, and submitted one-way interview online. Fallow up interview in person. Interviewer went through basic behavioral question - accepted job fair. Process took about three weeks.

Interview Questions

• 1. How do your current responsibilities relate to this position?
      2. What are your career goals for the next 2-4 years?
      3. describe a repetitive task that you recently performed. What was the task, how did you remain engaged and focused?
      4. Tell me about a time when you had to resolve a problem quickly. What was the problem, what steps did you take to resolve it, and what was the result?
      5. What sets you apart from other candidates?
      Answer Question

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One in May 2017.

Interview

First I had a phone round in order to know more about my background details like education and college. Then comes the coding round which is easy to crack with some sense of mind and intelligence. Next follows the Data Challenge. You will be given some time to solve the challenge with a data set and instructions on what to do. This will have a lot of expectations which they don't mention. Lastly the face to face interview

Interview Questions

• Given a Data Challenge and was asked to solve using any technology   1 Answer

Interview

3 rounds of interviews - 2 case, 1 product with behaviorals in the beginning - followed by lunch with a Capital One employee afterwards

Case interviews were very quantitative and credit card-focused

Market Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

They saw my resume and got in touch right away asking for some availability to speak on the phone. Very straightforward and concise interview, to the point. The lady who interview me was nice and friendly.

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA).

Interview

Started with initial HR screening, then online test, then phone interview with Hiring manager followed by a full day of interviews. On site interviews were job fit, behavioral and one case.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to handle multiple projects at work?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time where you had to convince someone to see things your way?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to work on cross functional project. What was your role in it and what was the result?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had competing priorities at work, how did you manage it?   Answer Question

Legal Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

It was a 4 hour interview process involving two behavioral rounds and 3 Job fit rounds. The interview itself was not that tough and the interviewers were pleasant and approachable. They really make you feel at ease. However, I could not get the job because I was overqualified and therefore not suited for the role, and there was another candidate who was a better fit for the role.

Interview Questions

• One of the behavioral questions was to describe a moment where you are working in a team and one of the team was not cooperating and that was delaying the tasks and how did you handle the situation.   1 Answer

Management Rotational Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA).

Interview

Entire process took 3 weeks. Applied on company website. Invited for final round interview at headquarters in Richmond, VA. Interview consisted of 3 rounds: job fit, behavioral, and case interview.

Interview Questions

• Out of a list of four possible activities, which would you choose to improve team dynamics and why?   Answer Question