Capital One Senior Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 10, 2017

3.2

196 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One in November 2016.

Interview

HR contacted me directly from LinkedIn. I took one coding challenge, one data challenge, and one site interview after that. The coding challenge is not hard, and data challenge took time. They will give you one week to finish the data challenge, so you don't have too much worries on time.

Interview Questions

• What does coding challenge look like?   2 Answers

Senior Quantitative Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied on Linkedin. I was contacted by a HR. The whole process took about 3 weeks. It has 1 phone interview, and 7 onsite interviews. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview Questions

• The role is about commercial real estate modeling, and the "senior" title only refers to Master's degree. The phone interview was expected to be 30min, but it took 1 hour. The interviewer used to be a trader, so he's very aggressive and feels like changeling you all the time. I was then invited to an onsite interview at NY.

There are 2 case interviews, 1 behavioral interview, and 4 job fit interviews. There are two other candidates I came across that day, and one has 2-yr working experience already.....(I haven't even finished my MS degree) It seems that normally there are only 2-3 job fit interviews, I don't understand why I have 4.

One case interview is about Venmo. Math is only about break-even analysis, but make sure you get million and billion calculation correctly. They asked what would the break-even result change if you collaborate with a furniture company and they pay you through debit card. They also asked some strategic plans and suggestions. The other quant case is about the call center at capital one. You need to calculate the average call time per week, and also the transfer rate. As it moves on, it involves launching a training program and you need to recalculate the transfer rate. Remember to ask how long the program is expected to last. The interviewer will not give you any information unless you asked him. The behavioral interview only asks three "tell me about a time" questions, but with multiple follow-up questions. So make sure you are 100% clear about those scenarios and don't try to make up anything.

Here comes the job fit interview. It should be a "walk through your resume" type of interview, and you need to do some background research about cap1 and the team. It helps if you take some notes during the phone interview. Since my summer internship is closely related to what they do, I did a great job in the first three interviews. However, the last interviewer, the one who called me last time, said he has asked all the questions he's interested, and he would like to ask me a brain teaser. During the 30min, I was stuck by this problem because I have no preparation and past experience at all. He gave me some hints but kept interrupting me all the time. Every time I tried to think it by myself, he broke in and said that's not the most efficient way. At last he solved this problem for me and was curious how could a stats student fail to answer it. I didn't get the offer in the end, though I've done a good job in 6 of the 7 interviews, and just didn't get a brain teaser problem correct, which I believe is not a typical interview question for risk management. I guess I'm the only candidate at that day who was asked this brain teaser, and I felt it was unfair. You are telling me someone does not fit this role (remember it's a job fit interview) only because he/she cannot tease his/her brain?! That's interesting.

Anyway, good luck to the other applicants.   Answer Question

Senior Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA).

Interview

It was a case interview with practical questions along with a typical STAR interview. Some of the interviewers were very nice, some were short and on the rude side. We had to calculate for example if a transaction over the credit limit would be allowable or not or decide whether to roll out a certain campaign. If you are not familiar with the industry it can be tough.

Interview Questions

• Would you allow a transaction over the credit limit. They provided numbers for you to be able to calculate it.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in August 2016.

Interview

There was a phone screen followed by an invitation to an in-person "Power Day" at the Capital One offices.

Power Day consisted of three before-lunch interviews (two case, one behavioral) followed by lunch with a current associate. An additional after-lunch interview could occur of the interviewers want additional information or have not been able to make a final decision (in favor or against) about the candidate. The after-lunch interview could be behavioral, case, or some combination, depending on the unique situation.

The behavioral interview was straightforward and reflected the topics suggested on the Capital One applicant page. The cases were also super straightforward - mine both reflected actual Capital One business issues.

All in all, a very efficient and pleasant process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to convince someone who disagreed with you to come around to your way of thinking?   1 Answer

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Chicago, IL) in August 2016.

Interview

Applied online and within 3 weeks, I received a call from the recruiter, who is a contractor, for a pre-screen. I passed and she told me there was a few assessments to take in order to move to 2nd round phone interview w. hiring mgr. During the screening it came to a conclusion the role was a lower salary and had agreed to continue.

The assessment was GMAT style questionnaire. It took more than a week for me to get access to the testing due to some conflict on my profile questions I answered during my application process.

Anyone knows that tests like these require studying prior to. I did not complete the testing as I realized this company nor lower paying role were for me.

This is a sub-prime credit card company and after this initial prescreening process, I'm not interested

Interview Questions

• What was your prior base pay? What type of roles are you applying for?   Answer Question

I opted out to take these unnecessary assessments

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in August 2016.

Interview

3 sessions of onsite interview: behavioral and 2 quantitative analysis interviews
    My last interview was officially the worst interview I've had and I've been in the workplace for 8 years.
    The interviewer was very unfriendly and looked like she did not want to be there. She was texting the whole session while I was solving the problem. She was supposed to assess how I worked the problem, and I don't see how she could while texting. Also, the whole process was about filtering people based on hypothetical problem solving and not about finding the right fit. Looking around the office environment, I sensed this process has given birth to a stuffy, awkward people.

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

I applied online. Found the job role while searching LinkedIn. Contacted by HR, Interview was secluded for 30 minutes for screening. Questions were about my background. job role. There were 5 basic quantitative questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One (Dallas, TX).

Interview

This company grinds through candidates like a machine - they're not quite in a rush to hire and so they run dozens of interviewees through their systematic process in hopes of finding the perfect candidate. I'm telling you this because if you're seriously looking for a job, make sure you don't just count on this one alone - keep it on the backburner if you have to in order to prioritize other jobs.

4 interviews on-site - 2 case and 2 behavioral. The behavioral ones were easy. Case interviews were challenging. I knocked one of them out 15 minutes ahead of time, and the interviewing manager seemed happy. I somewhat struggled on the other one, but the manager gave me some pointers, helping me to finish the exercise. I suppose that is the one that made me fall out. I read from other interviews that even if you mess up they will help you and it's not necessarily a KO, but that doesn't seem true in my case.

I didn't get word for almost 2 weeks after the on-site interview. It took lots of calls for the recruiter to just tell me that unfortunately it's a no go.

I've been through this before - companies like Google, LinkedIn, Amazon all like to run through their candidates like a meat grinder. But Capital One is no Google, so not sure why they're looking for stars when they're clearly not the leaders of their industry nor is their offer that appealing.

They also did not reimburse my expenses for 3 months, and that was only after NUMEROUS emails. Their customer support is just pathetic.

Overall a pretty tiring and waste-of-time experience IMO.

Interview Questions

• These were the most unique case interviews I've ever taken - they actually ask you old algebra questions, weighted averages, etc. things that make you think back to your freshman year of high school, some of which you have (unfortunately) forgotten.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

It was very nicely arranged. Flights and limousine pick up and drop was arranged by the company travel agent. The process is very smooth on the campus. There were two case interviews and one behavioral interview. One of the associates took us for a campus tour post lunch as well. There was another round after lunch which included both case and behavioral interview. The idea is to be able to frame the mathematical equation correctly from a business situation and be able to change the levers as required for break even calculations. Knowledge of basic graphs is also required. The behavioral questions were around times where I collaborated with a team, dealt with a conflict and learned something new.

Interview Questions

• There was a wheat winnowing contracting company case where I had to find the best combination of equipment and volume to yield highest profitability. Another one was to find out the optimal default rate for profitability in case of a credit card customer who goes over-budget.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Dallas, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

HR screen call that has 5 simple math word problems. An interesting Data challenge that can be completed with any open source tool. A coding round that has SQL and basic programming. And 2 case studies during on site round out of 4 total.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to leave consulting?   1 Answer