Capital One Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.3

1,149 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in September 2017.

Interview

Invited for final round to their headquarters. There were 3 rounds. 1) Behavioral 2) Case Interview (this discussed profits, revenues, percentages) 3) Case Interview (discussed entering a satellite industry). The third round was the hardest because I was just given a data sheet, and the person just spoke a total of 3 words and expected me to calculate everything. After the interview, she just zoomed out without even shaking my hand.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

1. HR phone interview
    2. online behavioral and quantitative/english test
    3. on site interview that consists of 2 case interview and 2 behavioral with 4 different interviewers. Each interview was about 30minturs to 45minutes long.

On site interview was well organized.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you took an intitiative to change something from your job   Answer Question

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Long process with many steps. You start with a coding challenge. If you pass that then you go to a data challenge, case study questions, and an in person interview.

Interview Questions

• For the data challenge you will have to use a free software to analyze the data.   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in July 2017.

Interview

According to the recruiter, the hiring process starts with a phone case interview, followed by a Super Day which consists of two case interviews and one behavioral interview. The phone case interview is designed to last 25 to 30 mins.

Interview Questions

• Suppose your client is one of the leading TV Channel provider (i.e. ESPN). How they generate revenue?   1 Answer
    • What informations/factors do you need to consider to determine the channel's profits?   1 Answer
    • Suppose, the number of subscribers are 100 million, Ad revenue is $36 per customer per year, and subscription revenue is $7 per customer per month. The programming rights cost is $6 billion and content cost is $3 billion. Calculate the profit.   1 Answer
    • The company is losing 1 million subscribers every month. What are the possible reasons for losing subscribers? Given the company is losing subscribers at this pace, how long can the company continue, until it starts making loss?   10 Answers
    • What are some of the ways the company can increase revenue and bottom line? Suppose the company partners with an online streaming platform (i.e. Hulu), what are the pros and cons?   Answer Question
    • Given the company forms a partnership with Hulu. The subscription fee is $2 per customer per month and ad revenue is $3 per customer per month, for additional customers. Hulu has 50 million subscribers and the adoption rate is 20%. How will this affect the company? How long can the company last without making loss?   4 Answers
    • Should the company go ahead with the partnership?   1 Answer

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in August 2017.

Interview

1. Applied Online
    2. HR Call - Introduce the interview process and understand your background
    3. Coding Challenge - 2 SQL + 2 Algorithm online test
    4. Data Challenge - 1 project (time frame 1-2 weeks)
    5. Onsite - 2 Case Interviews + 1 Presentation (Data Challenge Project) + 1 Behavior

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with multiple projects?
      Data challenge project details   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One in July 2017.

Interview

Applied and received an interview request via email the next day. Scheduled a phone interview for the day after. The recruiter was late, although pleasant.

From there I was required to take 4 assessments: 2 behavioral, 1 comprehensive, 1 quantitative. The first two were untimed, the last two averaged about 20 minutes. You're allowed a few days to take the exams before they expire.

I did not pass the math exam which came as no surprise because I do not test well, never have.

From there the recruiter called, left a message and provided an email letting me know they can not proceed with my application.

All in all, great experience but I would never want to work for a company who relies solely on tests to assess the quality of an applicant. We all have our strengths.... And weaknesses. My strengths happen to be Excel and my weakness tests.

Interview Questions

• Why am I looking to leave my current company?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in July 2017.

Interview

First you will receive a phone screen, which for me was very brief and simply directions on the next step of the application process. The next step was to take a verbal and numerical reasoning timed test. This part should be practiced before taking to make sure you are comfortable with the time limit and the traps that are common on these tests. The final step is to go to their headquarters to have case study interviews and fit interviews.

Interview Questions

• Q: why are you interested in capital one and this position in particular?   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in July 2017.

Interview

It was a 30 minutes phone call with a senior manager at Capital one. The interview introduced himself at the beginning and entered in the case right away. The process is not tough, but you need make the math correct without any mistake.

Interview Questions

• It is a profit calculation case.   1 Answer

Supply Chain Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

It was good overall., no complaints. Professional, just a little difficult. I have heard good things about the company so I figured I would apply via my university. I am adding words cause I have to get to 30.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in May 2017.

Interview

The process took 4+ weeks in total. Started with an online coding/SQL hackerrank challenge. This challenge is pretty simple but timed, so have to be quick. If you get through this, the next is the data challenge. They give you one dataset, set of questions, and 1 week to solve it. It is mostly related to doing a marketing research for a company to enter or not into the market. If you get through this, you are invited to the onsite loop which consists of 4 back to back rounds.
    1. Behavioral round
    Questions: Tell me about a project when you used your data analysis skill, Tell me about a time when you convinced someone to see things your way, How would you like to work in an environment that changes pretty quickly.
    The drill down into details of each thing you say - so be prepared with stories from your past.
    2. Data challenge discussion
    In this round they discuss the solution that you submitted in the data challenge round. They are looking to see your approach and why/why not you chose a certain approach.
    3. Two Case Interviews
    These are the main deciding factors I feel, they are very peculiar about the mathematical nuances and calculations. Cases in themselves are pretty simple, but "public maths" can be intimidating. Atleast for me it was.

Interview Questions

• Case 1: Cap1 had ATMs which operate on a certain cost (operating cost, teller cost etc was given). Now they have built a mobile app which can be used by users to scan the check and save it. The cost of the app was also given and the total number of ATM transactions was given Q1. Find what %age of transactions should be moved to mobile in order to break even. Then additional details were given - mobile apps are susceptible to frauds, with an associated cost per transaction. Q2. With this additional cost, do you think, we should still go ahead with the app idea? Basically you had comapre the profits in both the cases. Q3. What are the ways we can improve our profits from the mobile app?   Answer Question
    • Case 2: Credit card Costs, loss rate, interest, other fees, average spend, average balance, and transaction volume were given, I had to calculate the Profit per customer. Then the next part introduced a cash back offer with 1% cash back on the average spend. Q2. Is it profitable? Shall we go ahead with this? So, basically compare the profits from the first part against this. Q3. what would be the optimal cashback percentage? some additional data points were given at this time. Q4. Finally I had to plat the curve that shows the cashback% and profits.   Answer Question