Capital One Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.3

1,043 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all Interviews

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Was given a data challenge with one week deadline. A few days after submitting the data challenge, I received an email inviting me to a power day of interviews. Power day consisted of three 45 minute interviews with a 15 minute break after the first two. There were two cases and one behavioral interview. Cases were both found here, although not in specific detail (credit card case and customer acquisition case). Very simple algebraic math. Just keep a level head and don't make any mistakes... they weigh these cases heavily and you are competing with a benchmark that doesn't really allow for mistakes. Behavioral interview consisted of three questions with the same theme (which made it a little bit tougher than the common behavioral interview - each of my responses could have worked for each of the three questions).

Interview Questions

• A time you avoided an obstacle, A time you had to learn something new, Third one was something along the lines of: A time you had to request extra help to complete a project/task   3 Answers

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Most of the behavioral questions were straightforward, but they threw a few curveballs in there that I wasn't sure how to answer. The cases were all fairly simple and for one of the cases I got to pick the product to analyze, which was way more interesting.

Senior Quantitative Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied on Linkedin. I was contacted by a HR. The whole process took about 3 weeks. It has 1 phone interview, and 7 onsite interviews. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview Questions

• The role is about commercial real estate modeling, and the "senior" title only refers to Master's degree. The phone interview was expected to be 30min, but it took 1 hour. The interviewer used to be a trader, so he's very aggressive and feels like changeling you all the time. I was then invited to an onsite interview at NY.

There are 2 case interviews, 1 behavioral interview, and 4 job fit interviews. There are two other candidates I came across that day, and one has 2-yr working experience already.....(I haven't even finished my MS degree) It seems that normally there are only 2-3 job fit interviews, I don't understand why I have 4.

One case interview is about Venmo. Math is only about break-even analysis, but make sure you get million and billion calculation correctly. They asked what would the break-even result change if you collaborate with a furniture company and they pay you through debit card. They also asked some strategic plans and suggestions. The other quant case is about the call center at capital one. You need to calculate the average call time per week, and also the transfer rate. As it moves on, it involves launching a training program and you need to recalculate the transfer rate. Remember to ask how long the program is expected to last. The interviewer will not give you any information unless you asked him. The behavioral interview only asks three "tell me about a time" questions, but with multiple follow-up questions. So make sure you are 100% clear about those scenarios and don't try to make up anything.

Here comes the job fit interview. It should be a "walk through your resume" type of interview, and you need to do some background research about cap1 and the team. It helps if you take some notes during the phone interview. Since my summer internship is closely related to what they do, I did a great job in the first three interviews. However, the last interviewer, the one who called me last time, said he has asked all the questions he's interested, and he would like to ask me a brain teaser. During the 30min, I was stuck by this problem because I have no preparation and past experience at all. He gave me some hints but kept interrupting me all the time. Every time I tried to think it by myself, he broke in and said that's not the most efficient way. At last he solved this problem for me and was curious how could a stats student fail to answer it. I didn't get the offer in the end, though I've done a good job in 6 of the 7 interviews, and just didn't get a brain teaser problem correct, which I believe is not a typical interview question for risk management. I guess I'm the only candidate at that day who was asked this brain teaser, and I felt it was unfair. You are telling me someone does not fit this role (remember it's a job fit interview) only because he/she cannot tease his/her brain?! That's interesting.

Anyway, good luck to the other applicants.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Ann Arbor, MI) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied through university recruiting website, 1st round interview scheduled within 2 weeks. Only talked with a business analyst associate for the interview; 30 minutes. Heard back around five days later. Most applicants that got offers went to a (apparently mandatory) networking event the night before the interview.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any questions about working for Capital One? You have an apartment building with x capacity and x rooms, so given the revenue per room along with variable and fixed costs for maintaining the apartment, what is your breakeven?   Answer Question

Principal Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Interviewed with basic Quant ..then moved to hackerrank..had a question on sql and programming.
    then was given data challenge..for data challenge you are given a dataset and have to come with innovative solutions. I took it lightly .. i feel they were looking for some kind of modelling..
    anyways, it is a nice experience and also the HR was really prompt.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One (Austin, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied through university career assistance center. Basic business case. Had to do some math and walk the interviewer through every step of the process. Very similar to the sample case they offer on their website.

Analyst Development Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One in October 2016.

Interview

Submitted my resume though on campus recruiting. Selected for an interview, which I did not know at the time but was entirely case based, no behavioral. The case was very straightforward and just had a ton of math. I somehow made it through to final round and turned it down because I had another offer somewhere I wanted more.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

It was overall an average interview and the interviewers are extremely friendly. I was interviewed during the campus hiring season, so I guess the competition was very intense. Try your best to make everything perfect!

Interview Questions

• Select on product, substantial or digital, that you are familiar with, talk about the possible improvement of that.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

One on campus interview, and then 4 interviews, three case interviews and one behavioral on campus at Plano. The on campus interview was pretty relaxed, and very standard, mainly just asked about my experiences. The interview at Capital One was a little more logic based, and focused on your critical thinking skills, though the questions didn't involve much difficult material.

Interview Questions

• Asked about how to determine APR with Credit cards, based on data given   Answer Question

Better offer for me, on the table

Financial Rotational Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in September 2016.

Interview

I interviewed at my university. The interview was a case interview. There was a ton of prep available and even a workshop on campus a few days earlier to help applicants. Unfortunately, I was not there nor did I do much preparing. Thought I did terrible on the case interview - in fact, I know I did - I got invited to attend a Capital One Powerday in Richmond. Had another case interview (went better, but not great), a job fit interview (was told it was very conversational, but thought it more challenging than the behavioral interview), and a behavioral interview. I was only asked about four questions during the behavioral interview and thought them fairly straightforward, although be prepared for follow up questions. If you state something, be prepared to follow up on it as I was asked many questions about my responses. In other words, don't try to BS those questions. As a whole, I found the interview process - as far as interviews go - very pleasant. Everyone was very professional and accommodating. The one qualm I have is that when I was denied the position and requested feedback, I was told that none existed and the HR respondent even stated that "many applicants don't make it to the interview process." Obviously a pretty big disconnect there, which is pretty frustrating.