Capital One Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 18, 2017
3,108 Interview Reviews

3.1

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One (Austin, TX) in October 2017.

Interview

Contacted by Recruiter to final round interviews on campus. Had 3 45-minute interviews: Behavioral, Case, and Technical. Case was most stressful but be confident in your thinking ability. Behavioral only consisted of three standard questions.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in October 2017.

Interview

Applied through my campus system, and was selected for a first round case interview. It was a profit case that asked my to analyze two different decisions and figure out which was better.

Management Rotation Program Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One in October 2017.

Interview

Connected with a recruiter, was sent to Richmond for a superday. It was nice, they paid for everything, food, hotel, train. There were 3 interview, a case, Behavioral, and a fit interview. They were all not to bad as long as you prepared. The only issue is they siad they woul get back to me within one or two days. It has been a week and I am still waiting. Even if they reject me, I just want them to tell me so I can move on. We will see.

Interview Questions

• Can you share with me a time when you had to challenge the status quo.   Answer Question

Technology Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in October 2017.

Interview

First contacted me and arranged a phone screen, mostly talking about resume and behavioral questions. Then next interview was on location - all the interviewers were really nice, and everyone at the company was super friendly.

TDP Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in October 2017.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter, had a quick phone screening. Then they sent out an invitation to on-site interview. The power day starts with a tour, lunch, and then 3 interviews: case, behavioral and coding. Did pretty good (at least I thought it went okay), but got a call the next day with no offer. Not sure what they expect from a student..

Developer Academy Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in October 2017.

Interview

I was contacted through a recruiter who saw my resume on Piazza. I was very surprised, because I am a nutrition major who was getting a CS certificate, but she was very eager to have me apply. She asked me to apply online and after about a week she called me asking about my interest and background in technology. Then she arranged for me to fly out to Richmond, VA the following week, 4-star hotel, flights, and meals (up to $75/day) all included.

I arrived in Richmond at night and went to interview the next morning. Me and about 9-10 other interviewees were shuttled to Cap One campus. My other interviewees were a mix, some were applying for the internship, some for TDP full-time, and only 2 people (myself included) were interviewing for CODA. A guy currently in TDP gave us a tour of the campus which is like a college campus almost because it's quite large. The buildings were incredibly nice and there are many amenities, like a gym, health center, cafeteria, nice outdoor seating, a big fountain, and even bikes for you to borrow to move around. Then we had lunch and got to ask the TDP guy more questions and all of his responses were incredibly positive.

The interview is broken up into 3 parts: behavioral, job fit, and case study. The order is mixed up for everyone. There are no coding questions. The job fit interview is about your interest, background in technology, and your projects/assignments to gauge if you're actually really interested in technology. The case study is definitely not as in depth or business-y as the ice cream one they send in the video, there's a math portion (to see your thinking process and how you ask questions) and another part that was asking what were the benefits of Cap One making a change to their web interface. I did struggle with the case study but I eventually got to the answer. One important thing to note is that the purpose of CODA is so they can get different perspectives from people in non-CS majors in the tech industry. So while I didn't necessarily give the "right answer" to a question in the case study, I gave a different perspective which the interviewer found interesting so don't sweat trying to find the right answer they're looking for. The interviewers are really nice and make you feel pretty relaxed. For me as a female, I got two female interviewers which I think helped me relax a little more.

The following day I got a verbal offer from my recruiter. I was offered an 82.5k salary with a 9k signing bonus. 1.5k is offered for relocation expenses.

Interview Questions

• Job Fit

What general trends do you see in technology?
      Can you explain one of those to me/what are the benefits to using that technology?
      How do you think Cap One uses machine learning? (because I mentioned ML in my answer)
      Tell about one of your projects.
      If you had the entire summer to build something, what would you build?
      How do you keep up with technology?   Answer Question
    • Case study

Explain the benefits of Cap One changing their web interface (they give you visual handout).
      Company 1 can enhance 60% of transactions and charge 8 cents per transaction. Company 2 can enhance 40% of transactions and charges 5 cents per transaction. Every phone call that deals with transaction confusion costs $15. Enhancement of transactions leads to a 2% decrease in phone call volume. Which company should I go with? If I had budget of $100,000, would my answer change? If I had a limited budget and limited transactions, which company should I go with? (break-even point question).   1 Answer
    • Behavioral

Tell me about a time when you had to work with a team remotely
      - What were some difficulties with that?
      - Would you consider it a success?

Tell me about a project you are most proud of.

Tell me about a time when you had to learn something quickly.   1 Answer

Business Analytics Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Durham, NC) in October 2017.

Interview

First round is a 30 minute case study interview. Case isn’t very difficult, focused on your thought process and getting a reasonable answer. Second rounds take place at capital one where you will have two cases and another behavioral interview.

Interview Questions

• Is this joint venture something that they should pursue?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in October 2017.

Interview

No technical screen- drove out initially to Capital One in Plano TX. From reading on glass door, others have had okay experiences with this interview. For me personally, the engineer I got when doing the technical interview was completely silent the entire time. No hints- not even a word after he asked the question, and had a timer going the entire time while I was doing the question. It was kind of like he wanted me to do badly. Plus they're still doing "Code on this piece of paper", which is BS in my opinion. At least give me an online IDE. Anyways, didn't get an offer but the company felt much too corporate for and the engineers I talked to definitely didn't seem very happy. Hope you don't get this guy when you interview! For the behavioral part just google common ones. They weren't hard/ very standard. Imo if you can get through this interview successfully, you should just go work somewhere better!

Interview Questions

• 1) Merge K sorted linked lists into one (10 minutes)
      2) Find first common occurrence of a value in 2 stacks (10 minutes)
      3) Design question- design a bank account class with debit and credit accounts (10 minutes)
      3) Case interview was mostly data security questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Orlando, FL) in October 2017.

Interview

Three part interview, one behavioral, one technical, and one case study. Each forty five minutes long with a fifteen minute break and three different interviewers. Total of around two and a half hours.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to explain something technical to a non-technical person.   Answer Question

Management Rotation Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One in October 2017.

Interview

I applied through my university & the process took a couple of weeks. The interview was behavioral, but they tried to walk me through each step of the STAR method, so it was a little fragmented and I felt cut off.