Capital One Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3,013 Interview Reviews

3.1

Business Analysis Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in July 2017.

Interview

2 cases with some behavioral questions to start.

Cases are not difficult but do require attention to detail so pay attention so that you don't miss key information. I didn't feel as strongly as I thought I would coming out due to the fact that it was a pretty intense process overall but the interviewers were very supportive. I am currently waiting to hear back regarding next steps.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to go above and beyond to help a teammate.

Cases on a breakfast establishment and wheat industry   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in July 2017.

Interview

First you will receive a phone screen, which for me was very brief and simply directions on the next step of the application process. The next step was to take a verbal and numerical reasoning timed test. This part should be practiced before taking to make sure you are comfortable with the time limit and the traps that are common on these tests. The final step is to go to their headquarters to have case study interviews and fit interviews.

Interview Questions

• Q: why are you interested in capital one and this position in particular?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

- Initial phone interview within one week of submitting online application
    - Two weeks after, an in-person interview was scheduled with three managers from the department where I would be working if selected

- At the in-person interview I met with the senior manager first
     He was disengaged
     He had his eyes focused on his laptop and was typing during the interview (he later apologized and said that he was filling in the interview questionnaire as I answered the questions)
    There were a few moments of awkward silence in between some questions (I believe he just wasn't prepared for the interview or knew enough about the job description and my qualifications to ask informed questions)

- The interview with the second manager was via tele-conference. He was significantly more prepared, polite, attentive and engaging.

- The third manager came in sipping a can of La Croix (ugh) didn't ask if I would like something to drink and by this time I was there for an hour already, had interviewed twice before him. He was very informed about what he needed from the position and we talked about how my skills matched his expectations for the current role and how my skills could be applied to new needs/projects.

In the end, I reached out one week after the interview to ask for a status update on hiring since I hadn't heard from anyone - managers or recruiters. One week later, I decided to call the recruiter to ask because I had heard nothing back. I figured I should call to get an answer rather than make an assumption.

The recruiter told me that she mean to call me and apologized for not doing so sooner. She then told me that they decided to move forward with another candidate.

In summary, the hiring process here seems to be long and the communication between managers and recruiters may need to be more synchronized. Also, it would be great if managers entered interviews prepared to engage with candidates, it would give both them and the candidate a chance to shine and show how they can have an impact.

Interview Questions

• Talk about an inter-personal challenge with a coworker you faced at your last job.   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in July 2017.

Interview

It was a 30 minutes phone call with a senior manager at Capital one. The interview introduced himself at the beginning and entered in the case right away. The process is not tough, but you need make the math correct without any mistake.

Interview Questions

• It is a profit calculation case.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Case based and tough. One on one and panel style interviews. 4 hours long. It is a grueling day. However, this is typical for high performing business such as Capital One.

Interview Questions

• Scenario based and job specific   1 Answer

Supply Chain Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

It was good overall., no complaints. Professional, just a little difficult. I have heard good things about the company so I figured I would apply via my university. I am adding words cause I have to get to 30.

Learning Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA).

Interview

I was referred by an employee. Then I had a phone screening by the hiring manager. Then I had a phone screen by HR. Then I had online assessments in workstyle preference, verbal, and quantitative skills. The online assessments were a complete waste of time and have no bearing on my ability to the job. I passed. And the next stage is onsite interviews.

Interview Questions

• Do you want to be a Learning Program Manager or a Learning Designer?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, DE

Application

The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Wilmington, DE).

Interview

Hiring Process was pretty standard and all managed by a Recruiter. I had 3 rounds: Phone, Onsite and Final Phone Screen with a Director.

The onsite interview was very much like what other wrote here. I had 4 interviews on-site. First three were technical where I had to answer some basic algorithm questions and talk through my resume and project work. The last interview was behavior with STAR approach.

Interview Questions

• Implement Fibonacci recursively and iteratively   2 Answers
    • Determine if a string is an annagram   Answer Question
    • How would you implement a rest service that returns account details. List out some useful end points and what they would look like. Ex). GET /accounts/<accountId>/   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (New York, NY).

Interview

1. Hackerrank screen (4 basic questions timed)
    2. Technical phone interview that went over credit card fraud case. Asked about what kind of model, features to engineer, false positive/false negative, regularization, and potential issues
    3. Data challenge- NYC taxi data. Basic summary info, describe a distribution, derive a variable, build a model to predict tips, and a problem of your choice (viz, anomaly detection, optimization, and a couple other options)
    4. Onsite-

stats interview- they give you an analysis with a regression/CART model and 15 minutes to analyze, explain, and provide recommendations. They asked about correlations, multicollinearity, p-values, ANOVA table, and improvements.

Behavioral- STAR questions

2 consulting case studies- one was the P&L on a credit card product. break even, profit, and how to improve profit.

Job fit- met with a manager and they talked about the department, challenges, etc. This guy talked for an hour and may have asked one question about me

Technical- asked some machine learning questions about random forest, regularization, map reduce, and derive some equations by hand. This was the only interesting part.

I would not have wasted my time going through all this stuff had I known more about the actual position. They provided no information about the actual position and did not answer any questions about the actual work until the onsite. The projects they described didn't seem very interesting - some fraud detection, a search problem that matches logos to a billing statement, and gathering data on small businesses.

Product Manager Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Well organized and interviewers were friendly but too much focus on gmat/gre math problems and numbers. Though your concepts and ideas are right, the number results are very important to them and the math calculations need to right, though equation is right. Where does a product manager do that much math in paper any more ? That cannot be the criteria to judge folks, but that's what they follow

Interview Questions

• Cash flow analysis, break even , gross profit and. Design challenge   Answer Question