Capital One Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,094 Interview Reviews

3.3

1,094 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One in November 2016.

Interview

Applied through LinkedIn and was contacted by a recruiter to schedule a phone screen that would involve math based questions. Everything seemed normal until the actual phone call happened. During the phone screen I was constantly interrupted while answering questions on my background. When we got to the math questions the first question I was asked was one involving ratios. I answered the question correctly as it was asked but I was told I was wrong. I respectively asked the recruiter to explain why I was wrong and when she did the math still did not seem correct. I was told that I was not a good fit so the interview ended there. I followed up with an email challenging the question that was asked and explaining how I got to my answer. I then received an email back with the a slightly different question and it was insinuated that I must have misheard even though I had the recruiter repeat the question back to me when I first heard it. This was by far the most disrespectful interview I have ever encountered and would advise anyone to clarify any questions asked.

Interview Questions

• Originally asked: If the ratio of green to red is 2 to 7 and there are 70 total marbles, how many green are there?
      Amended question after email: If the ratio of green to red is 2 to 7 and there are 70 red marbles, how many green are there?   1 Answer

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One in November 2016.

Interview

HR contacted me directly from LinkedIn. I took one coding challenge, one data challenge, and one site interview after that. The coding challenge is not hard, and data challenge took time. They will give you one week to finish the data challenge, so you don't have too much worries on time.

Interview Questions

• What does coding challenge look like?   2 Answers

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

The first round was a resume screening. I applied through my university and received a second email which was the next round. The second round consisted of a coding challenge using my choice of open-source software. The goal was to analyze a large data set and draw any conclusive recommendations from it and advise whether ABC Company should move forward with their proposed business venture.

Interview Questions

• From your analysis, would you recommend ABC Company to take on this venture?   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One in November 2016.

Interview

I went to a career fair, and talked to the recruiter. I also went to an info session the previous day. I submitted an application to their website, and to my schools career site and was chosen for an on campus interview a month later. The interview went well, but I made small simple math mistakes which I should not have. The case interview is fairly easy so they expect you to do it perfectly. I am awaiting to hear if I get sent to the final round in their Virigina offices.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in November 2016.

Interview

First round interview on campus was an easy business case. Got invited to final round interviews shortly after. Interviews in Richmond consisted of three individual interviews, two case and one product case. The two business cases were very quantitative and involved profits and breakeven calculations about auto insurance and the wheat industry. The product case was about how to improve a product and product creation. I received a rejection call within one day. Overall it was a positive experience, and they offer you a lot of support and communication throughout the process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

Three interviews. Two case interviews and one product interview. Case interviews test business and quantitative thinking ability while the product interview tests creative thinking. The case interviews are more difficult than the product interview. Know basic profit analysis (breakevens and weighted averages). Also know basic algebra (systems of equations)

Interview Questions

• Explain 10 ways to redesign a toothbrush   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

One case interview over the phone. If you prepare with the materials on their website its not too bad. Then there is a power day with 3 interviews, 2 case interviews and 1 product interview. Each of these interviews usually begin with one basic behavioral question. Case interviews are more in depth than the one on the phone. Product interview is about outside of the box thinking

Product Manager and Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA).

Interview

A series of three different interviews, a product interview and two case interviews. The cases were very similar to the first round interview but they just took longer. There was one about credit cards and the other was about cost optimization.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had to put someone's needs in front of yours?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Interview

1-on-1 case interview on campus. The company has great case prep materials on its website and held a pre-interview prep session the night before. The recruiters stressed that the interviewer is there to work through the case with the applicant. I was very pleased with the prep and communication from the company. Unfortunately, my interviewer wasn't very helpful. He seemed uninterested from the start of the interview and was clearly ready to leave for the day. He was distracted by his phone and computer screen and wasn't listening to my thought process. He also gave me an incorrect information from the start which I was using throughout the process but didn't say anything, even when he saw that my figures weren't adding up.

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Was given a data challenge with one week deadline. A few days after submitting the data challenge, I received an email inviting me to a power day of interviews. Power day consisted of three 45 minute interviews with a 15 minute break after the first two. There were two cases and one behavioral interview. Cases were both found here, although not in specific detail (credit card case and customer acquisition case). Very simple algebraic math. Just keep a level head and don't make any mistakes... they weigh these cases heavily and you are competing with a benchmark that doesn't really allow for mistakes. Behavioral interview consisted of three questions with the same theme (which made it a little bit tougher than the common behavioral interview - each of my responses could have worked for each of the three questions).

Interview Questions

• A time you avoided an obstacle, A time you had to learn something new, Third one was something along the lines of: A time you had to request extra help to complete a project/task   3 Answers