Capital One Business Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 30, 2017

3.3

609 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Most of the behavioral questions were straightforward, but they threw a few curveballs in there that I wasn't sure how to answer. The cases were all fairly simple and for one of the cases I got to pick the product to analyze, which was way more interesting.

Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Chapel Hill, NC) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied through university career board and had an on-campus interview one week later. The interviewer is very nice. She introduced herself and began the case, and then let me to ask some questions.It was a simple case interview, about profit maximization of a cloud storage company. She explained nicely how the case questions was because I was very confused. It was a nice experience. I haven't been to the second round interview so ignore the "did you get an offer" part.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Dallas, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied through my college career website. I did not check my school email ahead of time, but if I did it would have told me that the interview was a case interview and not a behavioral interview like I was expecting. Although I did fine since the case interview tested my business reasoning and math skills.

Interview Questions

• In a certain business scenario, they asked how I would increase profits to the proposed startup.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One in September 2016.

Interview

The interview process was relatively straightforward. I applied online through my school's career website. I heard back a week later and was told I had been selected for an interview scheduled for the following week.

The interview itself lasted around 30-40 mins. It was a standard case interview. The interviewer presented a case and provided data, asking questions about profitability, break-even price, and market strategy ideas based on the information at hand. Overall, it was a great interview experience and the recruiter I was assigned to was excellent.

Unfortunately, I was unable to answer one of the questions and did not receive a second-round interview.

Interview Questions

• Profitability Analysis, Break-even price, Market Strategy   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in August 2016.

Interview

There was a phone screen followed by an invitation to an in-person "Power Day" at the Capital One offices.

Power Day consisted of three before-lunch interviews (two case, one behavioral) followed by lunch with a current associate. An additional after-lunch interview could occur of the interviewers want additional information or have not been able to make a final decision (in favor or against) about the candidate. The after-lunch interview could be behavioral, case, or some combination, depending on the unique situation.

The behavioral interview was straightforward and reflected the topics suggested on the Capital One applicant page. The cases were also super straightforward - mine both reflected actual Capital One business issues.

All in all, a very efficient and pleasant process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to convince someone who disagreed with you to come around to your way of thinking?   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

first phone interview - then onsite interview with 3 people for 45 mins each- 2 analytics 1 HR person. Analytics side you need to be calm and not get excited so you can think clearly. HR questions are as expected so prepare your answers and dont give the same example for different questions.

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

Capital One begins with a phone case study that lasts about 45 minutes. Upon acceptance to moving forward, they fly you out to one of their headquarters (Plano, TX or McLean, Virginia) for one behavioral interview and two more case studies. This process takes about four hours. They were extremely quick with their decision and informed me I received the position before I could board my plane home.

Interview Questions

• Would you recommend that we move forward with the project described here in the case study?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in August 2016.

Interview

3 sessions of onsite interview: behavioral and 2 quantitative analysis interviews
    My last interview was officially the worst interview I've had and I've been in the workplace for 8 years.
    The interviewer was very unfriendly and looked like she did not want to be there. She was texting the whole session while I was solving the problem. She was supposed to assess how I worked the problem, and I don't see how she could while texting. Also, the whole process was about filtering people based on hypothetical problem solving and not about finding the right fit. Looking around the office environment, I sensed this process has given birth to a stuffy, awkward people.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One (Dallas, TX).

Interview

This company grinds through candidates like a machine - they're not quite in a rush to hire and so they run dozens of interviewees through their systematic process in hopes of finding the perfect candidate. I'm telling you this because if you're seriously looking for a job, make sure you don't just count on this one alone - keep it on the backburner if you have to in order to prioritize other jobs.

4 interviews on-site - 2 case and 2 behavioral. The behavioral ones were easy. Case interviews were challenging. I knocked one of them out 15 minutes ahead of time, and the interviewing manager seemed happy. I somewhat struggled on the other one, but the manager gave me some pointers, helping me to finish the exercise. I suppose that is the one that made me fall out. I read from other interviews that even if you mess up they will help you and it's not necessarily a KO, but that doesn't seem true in my case.

I didn't get word for almost 2 weeks after the on-site interview. It took lots of calls for the recruiter to just tell me that unfortunately it's a no go.

I've been through this before - companies like Google, LinkedIn, Amazon all like to run through their candidates like a meat grinder. But Capital One is no Google, so not sure why they're looking for stars when they're clearly not the leaders of their industry nor is their offer that appealing.

They also did not reimburse my expenses for 3 months, and that was only after NUMEROUS emails. Their customer support is just pathetic.

Overall a pretty tiring and waste-of-time experience IMO.

Interview Questions

• These were the most unique case interviews I've ever taken - they actually ask you old algebra questions, weighted averages, etc. things that make you think back to your freshman year of high school, some of which you have (unfortunately) forgotten.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

It was very nicely arranged. Flights and limousine pick up and drop was arranged by the company travel agent. The process is very smooth on the campus. There were two case interviews and one behavioral interview. One of the associates took us for a campus tour post lunch as well. There was another round after lunch which included both case and behavioral interview. The idea is to be able to frame the mathematical equation correctly from a business situation and be able to change the levers as required for break even calculations. Knowledge of basic graphs is also required. The behavioral questions were around times where I collaborated with a team, dealt with a conflict and learned something new.

Interview Questions

• There was a wheat winnowing contracting company case where I had to find the best combination of equipment and volume to yield highest profitability. Another one was to find out the optimal default rate for profitability in case of a credit card customer who goes over-budget.   Answer Question