Capital One Business Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Capital One Business Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Jun 18, 2017

3.3

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One in March 2016.

Interview

I met the recruiters at my college's job fair and applied that night. I was invited to interview the next week, and the interview was a 30 minute case. I was given a case about a start-up cloud management company and I had to do some math based on info the interviewer gave me. I also had to analyze whether the company would be profitable in the future and why. I thought I did terribly after that interview but was invited back for a final round at one of their campuses. I went to it a week later, stayed in a nice hotel, and had a very intense day with 2 more case interviews and a product interview. I thought they went well because I connected with the interviewers, but I didn't receive an offer so I don't know exactly where I went wrong. Overall it was a pleasant but disappointing experience because it took a lot of energy for nothing, but I did like the company.

Interview Questions

• Describe your best accomplishment.
      Calculate profitability. Now what amount of sales will it take to have the same profitability if [insert some change] happens?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX).

Interview

Phone interview first, invited for interview at office soon after. In total at the office I had 3 case interviews and a product interview. The interviewers were professional and enjoyable to converse with and the cases were tough but fair and doable. The Capital One campus is very impressive and the employees were all friendly and surprisingly young.

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in March 2016.

Interview

I was interviewed for the whole morning. two case interviews and one behavioral. The case interviews were like more about math problems, so I guess you have to give an exact number at the end, and don't over prepare with books like case in point, they don't expect you to analyze the strategy. Behavioral questions were not difficult, questions listed on this site was really helpful, remember to STAR all your past experiences.

Interview Questions

• Q: Tell me about a time you introduced a new technology to your team.
      Q: Tell me about your biggest failure
      Q: Tell me about a time...
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in March 2016.

Interview

1 on campus case interview, super day at headquarters in DC with 2 case interviews and one product interview. overall positive experience. cases were more math-heavy than consulting type cases, but mostly straightforward.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in February 2016.

Interview

Applied through university career center/Capital One website and got first round interview, which was just a brief case about cloud storage—break-even, profitability, ways to improve etc.—and a few behavior/personal questions. Got invited the next day to a second interview in McLean that took place about a week later. Capital One paid for everything and made sure people reached out to help you prepare, which was nice. I did use glassdoor to prepare, but wished I'd checked it more thoroughly because literally some of the exact same cases/questions I received are listed here.

Second round was just two cases and a product interview. Each interview begins with a brief behavioral segment of one STAR-based question and a few follow-up questions. The cases were about an ATM venture and a startup Venmo-style application. Cases were similar to the initial case: calculate current profitability, break-even, ways to improve; but a bit longer/broader and included background questions and "big picture" considerations. For the Venmo case drawing a graph for profit-over-time under different ventures was required. For the case you calculate/improve profitability and find the right mix of paying vs. nonpaying customers for a freemium business model, etc. Be comfortable with using algebra to calculate proportions/use (n) and (1-n) to find market segmentation (not sure what the proper algebra term for this is). In the Venmo case you must make a recommendation about whether to focus on individual users or businesses. The product case consists of discussing a product you use, its business model, and how to improve it; 10 ways to improve salt-and-pepper shakers/discussing why that would be effective, and discussing Uber starting to sell office supplies (e.g. what considerations are important, how should the firm go about implementing the project etc.).

Honestly a little heartbroken that I didn't get the offer. It was really a great experience besides that. I was confident/capable in the cases: talked to the casers the whole way through to explain my thinking, never stumbled on how to approach a problem, gave thorough answers about business problems/big picture considerations. The last case interview had 2 casers, which did make me a little more nervous than in the first two (I still solved the case with only a minor/momentary error), and I really hope that didn't make the difference. I only made one small mistake in the cases: confusing monthly/yearly costs in a break-even calculation, but that was really a minor error and only took a second to correct after catching it (divide by 12...). I wish Capital One would offer some feedback—I asked and they said they couldn't—because now I am going to wonder if there was something else besides my performance in the cases that influenced their decision.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me about a time you failed." "Tell me about a time you went out of your way to help a teammate." "What accomplishment in college are you most proud of?" "What would be the most important considerations for Uber when they were planning to start selling office supplies?"   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

On Campus, mathematical case interview, some fit questions, make sure to write everything down and keep track of all the numbers. Don't get flustered and stay calm. The interview structure is that they will ask you a question and then tell you the answer immediately and continue on the case storyline.

Interview Questions

• You are a CEO of a non-profit, how are you gonna get donations and funds?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Applied through my University and received an on grounds interview. The interview was a 30 minute case. I received an email that I made it to the final round two days letter. I enjoyed my interview overall.

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One (Chicago, IL) in February 2016.

Interview

After a screening/informational phone interview with the Capital One recruiting contact, the contact sent materials to prepare for the interview, including example case and behavioral questions. The interview day included two 45-minute case interviews, a behavioral interview, and a less formal lunch and tour. Interview results followed about a week later.

Interview Questions

• The interview cases and behavioral questions were very consistent with the materials from the Capital One website and the documents & links the Capital One recruiting contact sent. The cases' subject matter is relatively straightforward, especially if you are familiar with profit/loss/break-even analyses and setting up & solving algebraic expressions. Despite this fairness and relative predictability, passing the cases is challenging.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA).

Interview

I submitted my resume on my school's engineering career website and applied on Capital One's website as well. I think Capital One is really trying to expand because they sent an email to everyone in the engineering school reminding them to apply and it seems like they give out a lot of interviews. About 1 or 2 weeks later I received an email inviting me to schedule an interview on campus. It only lasted 30 minutes and was just a simple case about entering a business similar to Uber. I did well on the first part of the case but I needed help on the second half. I think their criteria to pass the 1st round is pretty low because I still somehow got an email the next day inviting me to a super day at their Richmond office. Me and 8 or 9 other candidates were flown out and were put in a really nice Hilton Hotel with a very generous food budget ($75 per day). The following day, a limo service picked us up and we went to the Capital One campus for the interviews. I was surprised that most of the candidates were from my school and many of them were working on their masters. Each of us was given their own interview room. The onsite interviews consisted of 2 cases which were a bit more complicated than the one in the 1st interview and a relatively easy product interview in which we had to discuss how certain products could be improved. A behavioral questions was asked at the start of each of these interviews. The cases at Capital One are much easier than those at top consulting firms like MBB or Deloitte as they are more quantitative and do not require as much outside-the-box thinking. However, because of this you pretty much need to solve the cases perfectly with little help in order to get an offer. I was able to get the right answers for the cases but needed a lot of help on the 2nd one so that's probably why I didn't end up getting an offer.

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

I had a 1 on 1 case interview on my campus. There were no behavioral questions, the entire interview was the case (I was a restaurant owner looking to improve my profits through a possible deal with Groupon), and then there was some time for questions. The case was more computational than most case interviews, but not difficult math. I got one part wrong, my interviewer pointed it out, I fixed it, and I still got invited to a final round interview.

Interview Questions

• Calculate the total profit after the deal with Groupon   Answer Question