Capital One Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2,942 Interview Reviews

3.1

Customer Solutions Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, DE

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One (Wilmington, DE) in May 2017.

Interview

Filled out an application online, completed an online simulation consisting of a call center environment, and submitted one-way interview online. Fallow up interview in person. Interviewer went through basic behavioral question - accepted job fair. Process took about three weeks.

Interview Questions

• 1. How do your current responsibilities relate to this position?
      2. What are your career goals for the next 2-4 years?
      3. describe a repetitive task that you recently performed. What was the task, how did you remain engaged and focused?
      4. Tell me about a time when you had to resolve a problem quickly. What was the problem, what steps did you take to resolve it, and what was the result?
      5. What sets you apart from other candidates?   Answer Question

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One in May 2017.

Interview

First I had a phone round in order to know more about my background details like education and college. Then comes the coding round which is easy to crack with some sense of mind and intelligence. Next follows the Data Challenge. You will be given some time to solve the challenge with a data set and instructions on what to do. This will have a lot of expectations which they don't mention. Lastly the face to face interview

Interview Questions

• Given a Data Challenge and was asked to solve using any technology   2 Answers

Help Desk Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One in May 2017.

Interview

Applied online, recruiter contacted me less than a week later. Passed initial recruiter interview (job fit, salary expectations). Next step was personality test online. Recruiter called next day to let me know I passed and set me up with in person interviews for the following week. Two interviews at the Capital One campus in Richmond - job fit with team manager and behavioral "tell me about a time when..." interview with another manager. They give you a small conference room with your name posted outside the room for these two interviews. The managers come to you separately. Lasted about two hours. The following Friday, recruiter called again to let me know I was being offered the position. I accepted. Offer letter was sent shortly after along with background check instructions. Had to have fingerprints done and had to fill out 7 year history for background check (standard). Background check took a week, received summary and results in the mail. Entire process was extremely pleasant. My recruiter kept in close contact with me throughout the entire process. He even gave me study material for the interview (which proved to be extremely useful... hint hint). I can't wait to start!

Interview Questions

• How do you handle difficult issues when you are unsure of the resolution?   Answer Question
    • How do you explain difficult tech concepts to someone who has little to no computer knowledge?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about you help desk experience?   Answer Question

Senior Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in May 2017.

Interview

Initially I spoke with a recruiter followed by a technical screen by the Hiring Manager. I was brought in for interview which in Capital One's terms is called Power Day. Power Day included 4 different interviewers each 45 minute each. There were 2 behavioral interviews which focused on What If questions and the other 2 were Job Fit interviews which focused on technical questions and your proficiency level.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you dealt with conflict with a team member. Include your approach taken and the result of said approach.   Answer Question
    • Questions about OOP   Answer Question
    • You are tasked with designing a customer portal, how do you tackle it. What questions do you ask? How do you flush out your design?   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One in May 2017.

Interview

Same as others have mentioned, phone call from HR - coding - phone interview with a data scientist - data challenge - on-site. The recruiter is definitely helpful and nice.

C1 seems to have a high rejection rate at the on-site interview. I also felt confused about some of the interview questions. They seem to have little to do with your modeling skills but rather very open and general questions. The technical part is not technical at all, just random talk. Very easy questions and very very very casual... It seems the interviewer didnt even make proper preparation. I had the feeling that my hiring manager didn't want to hire me at the beginning because the manager didn't even interview me. I had a mixed feeling about the C1 interview process. I got rejection without even meeting the hiring manager in person... I was a little bit frustrated after all the work for this.

Interview Questions

• technical part: project experience
      behavioral: tell me a time you stop learning   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glen Allen, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Glen Allen, VA) in May 2017.

Interview

I was initially contacted by a recruiter each time per the application I had completed. In each case, these conversations were very positive and both recruiters immediately asked about my salary requests as they were eager to move me along in the process. Within days, I had interviews scheduled. Both interviews (separate positions; one interview was with 2 people, one with 4) were positive experiences; the interviewers stated to me that they were impressed with my qualifications and my enthusiasm, and looked forward to me being a part of the organization. In each case, I was not hired.

Interview Questions

• For the most part, the questions were the usual interview questions that had already been reviewed with the recruiter: tell me about yourself, what makes you good for this position, why would you be a good fit at Capital One, things like that.   Answer Question
    • In both interviews, everyone was big on questions being asked of them. If you ever interview with Cap One, go in with questions you want to ask! (You should always do this anyway, but especially here.) Don't ask the generic "when will I hear about the position" mess. Dig deep - ask about what brought them there, what's kept them there, where they started within the company and how they wound up where they are now; ask why the position you're interviewing for is open (did someone move to another position? did someone leave altogether? Is the department simply growing?). These are examples, but they were helpful!   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in May 2017.

Interview

Capital One has a very structured recruiting process. It starts with a phone interview with the recruiter. From there, the assessment exam is next. Which sections you have to take depend on the role you applied for. Mine assessment included the verbal reasoning and situational judgement. Essentially, critical thinking and leadership style. Once you take and pass that, the next step was a phone interview with the hiring manager. If selected, the next step is what they call the "Power Day". This is essentially a rather full day of interviews with different people. These interviews include Job Fit, Behavioral and a Case Interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when......   1 Answer
    • Describe a situation where there was an issue that was difficult to overcome and how you solved this situation.   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Capital One (San Francisco, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

I interviewed for a Data Scientist - Machine Learning role in San Francisco. The process was long but very pleasant and professional throughout, and I would recommend applying there to anyone who wants to use data science and machine learning at scale with technically talented and friendly folks. Capital One flies under the radar as a tech employer, especially in the Bay Area - but I got the impression that they are serious about investing in top talent.

The application consisted of the following steps:
    1. Recruiter screen & online application
    2. Online coding challenge (fairly straightforward, ~1.5h on HackerRank)
    3. Technical phone screen (covered ML topics)
    4. Take home data analysis challenge (takes about a day)
    5. Full-day onsite interview (6-7 people, in person and VC with Capital One employees in other offices)
    6. (After offer) selling calls with hiring manager and 3-4 other people in the Capital One analytics organization

In between each step Kaitlyn (the data science recruiter) checked in with me over the phone. IMO she is the most helpful and professional recruiter I've ever encountered as a job seeker.

Obviously, it's a huge pain to go through the whole process, but everyone is a real pleasure to talk to and I left with a very positive impression of Capital One's work culture and investment in technology. The pay is competitive as well, and I would have signed had I not received a last-minute offer from a rapidly growing tech unicorn.

Interview Questions

• (Given 20 minutes to look through several printouts of data, charts and slides) How would you communicate the findings from this model to a non-technical executive?   Answer Question

Interview

3 rounds of interviews - 2 case, 1 product with behaviorals in the beginning - followed by lunch with a Capital One employee afterwards

Case interviews were very quantitative and credit card-focused

Market Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

They saw my resume and got in touch right away asking for some availability to speak on the phone. Very straightforward and concise interview, to the point. The lady who interview me was nice and friendly.