Capital One Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 14, 2017

3.5

19 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Manager Interview

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

I had a nearly identical experience as the poster directly below me. Excellent process (very informal and conversational), knocked it out of the park, and was rejected after days later after the recruiter failed to contact me for a week. Interviews like these, that are extensive and require time off of work, are such a sad waste of time, and money- the company is paying quite a bit to fly you out to their headquarters. I have to say that I’m overall disgusted at the end of it all. I’ve never felt so led on following an interview before. One of the interviewers even said to me “when you start working here, you’ll see...” what a bunch of fake bs!!! Have some respect for the people you’re bringing in to interview. Btw, I was offered a much better position at a different company paying a lot more than they were offering. I would NEVER work here after the experience I went through.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Very organized and thoughtful. There were online assessments, a phone interview with the recruiter, and then several behavioral and job fit interviews along with a case study. The recruiter provided good explanations of the process and expectations.

Interview Questions

• They focus on job fit, so pay attention to the sample questions they provide. For example, talk about a time when you had to balance multiple priorities. If you have a case study, they are very interested in your thought process, so be sure to describe it to your interviewer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in May 2017.

Interview

I completely agree with the review posted on Sep 13, 1017, and had a very similar experience. The whole interview process started with a couple of phone interviews (HR, then a manager), followed by two online assessments tests (mini SAT/GRE test), followed by a "super-day" interview with 5 managers at their HQ (had to take time off from current job for this). So far so good, all went well, no complaints there. Received positive feedback, sent thank you emails....
     The HR person throughout the whole process was very professional and responsive. I was told I could expect to hear back within the next two weeks following the super-day interviews.

A couple of weeks later, HR calls and says they're working on creating the position, but that they have another position in mind for me, and asks if I can speak with two managers over the phone the following morning. Short notice, but I say OK. I speak with the managers, and while they're a little curt and to the point, it goes well. HR calls me back and says it went very well, everybody liked me, blah blah blah, and that they're waiting for finance or something to approve the budget for the position. A week goes by...HR calls frequently to give me a status (waiting on budget and other processes to come through before an offer is made) - daily or every two days. Then the second week goes by; frequency of calls diminish. More weeks go by and then radio silence. After about a month of not hearing back I send HR an email asking for the status, and I never hear back. Then, weeks later I get an automated email saying the position I applied for was canceled (not even sure which job at this point). The whole process, from the first HR interview to the automated rejection email, took about 4 months!

It doesn't end here! Weeks later out of the blue I get a call from HR saying they have another position in mind for me, and would like to setup an interview over the phone with the hiring managers over the next few days (no in-person needed since I already interviewed in person for previous positions). I'm like, sure, whatever. The whole thing just fizzled away and at this point I lost complete interest. No phone interview happened.

It doesn't end here! About a month later I get an automated email asking how the interviewing process went, asking for feedback!

To summarize:

- HR was either courteous, professional and proactive in keeping me updated, or completely radio silent.
    - I had a total four phone interviews, and one in-person (super-day, with four individuals), and that's before the next round of interviews which fizzled away
    - I had to take time off from work (whole day) for the super-day interview
    - 4+ month long process
    - Everyone was professional and courteous, but the whole process was horrible and a waste of time

Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

The interview was set-up by e-mail, but conducted by phone, as the hiring director was located in a different state. There was also a manager present in-person, to help facilitate the communications process, clarify questions, and address any troubleshooting issues.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to deliver difficult news to an employee, and what the result was.   1 Answer

Manager Interview

Interview

Several structured interviews and case analyses that lasted all day including a detailed computer based test
    "Informal' interview over lunch. Process was very standardized. There were many individuals involved and the company

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (Chicago, IL) in January 2016.

Interview

Very long and completely disorganized. HR had no idea what they were doing and got the band levels incorrect and kept switching between manager and senior manager after I had already applied. Typical to HR departments these days, the HR people tried to low ball me offer-wise and to get me to accept a lower title than I was offered at the competition and so underhired but paid enough not to mind that much.

Interview Questions

• Standard interview questions about work history plus some creative questions like how would you make a salt shaker if you had to make it 10 different ways?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Was able to negotiate pay but not title.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

phone screening with HR, complete math/verbal/personality tests, upon passage of tests scheduled phone interview with hiring manager, and finally a super day with 4-5 interviews on site. entire process from initial screening to final interview was approximately 3-4 weeks

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Capital One in June 2015.

Interview

This was a fairly easy interview. Seems like they prefer MBA candidates. People were nice and the interview did not take long. They asked me what I wanted to do in five years and other typical questions.

Interview Questions

• What is a challenge you experienced and how did you handle it.   1 Answer

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Very Long and very indecisive. After 2 months still no decision . Sent follow up email and no response. I dont think they are very responsive and have to many people applying for a vey limited amount of positions

Manager Interview

Interview

Initial phone call with recruiter followed by online assessment and then phone interview with hiring manager. Next step was "power day" of interviews on site. I am currently employed in another city, and the recruiter was difficult to work with to schedule the appointment. She told me it would likely be one of two dates and to save the dates but I never heard from her. Then it was supposed to be the following week but again... nothing. All the while, I was trying to keep my schedule free at my current job, which was not easy. She finally called me and apologized for the delays and said they wanted to bring me in less than 48 hours later, which I could not do due to the logistics of getting to their office as well as my existing work obligations. (she did not offer to help with travel arrangements) Apparently they wanted to bring all candidates in on the same day. While everyone I spoke with was friendly, I wish they could've been more flexible with scheduling the interview.

Interview Questions

• not a specific question but: short notice for interviews   Answer Question