Capital One Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 5, 2018

3.5

20 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX).

Interview

Very difficult.

Interview Questions

• Case interview question. Had several. Was given some percentages, sime stats, and some information. Had to walk through solution, create graph and create equation for profit in front of interviewer. Had to do this 3 times.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Very organized and thoughtful. There were online assessments, a phone interview with the recruiter, and then several behavioral and job fit interviews along with a case study. The recruiter provided good explanations of the process and expectations.

Interview Questions

• They focus on job fit, so pay attention to the sample questions they provide. For example, talk about a time when you had to balance multiple priorities. If you have a case study, they are very interested in your thought process, so be sure to describe it to your interviewer.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

The interview was set-up by e-mail, but conducted by phone, as the hiring director was located in a different state. There was also a manager present in-person, to help facilitate the communications process, clarify questions, and address any troubleshooting issues.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to deliver difficult news to an employee, and what the result was.   1 Answer

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

phone screening with HR, complete math/verbal/personality tests, upon passage of tests scheduled phone interview with hiring manager, and finally a super day with 4-5 interviews on site. entire process from initial screening to final interview was approximately 3-4 weeks

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One in September 2013.

Interview

Phone interview, online test, on site interview. The on site interview include case interview, job fit interview, and behavior interview.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Everyone needs to pass a test that is adjusted to the level of position you are applying for and leads to face-to-face interviews.
    2 behavioral interviews, one case study and interviews by hiring manager and the group who's hiring. The hiring manager/group has the final word, even if you don't do so great on the behavioral and case interviews.

Interview Questions

• The case: profitability of credit cards. Not hard itself but stressful.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One in April 2012.

Interview

My initial interview was with an HR recruiter - a basic telephone screening. Based on that, she set up a telephone interview with the hiring manager. Once that hurdle was cleared, I took the mandatory Capital One assessment tests - SHL type Verbal and Numerical Reasoning and a Personality test. They were much harder than I expected but thankfully I passed. The next step is an onsite interview at the campus in Richmond - I'll post an update once that takes place.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in March 2009.

Interview

Case interview was very industry specific and they relied heavily on case interview performance in determing whether to give offer. Of the three people I interviewed with, one was nice, one was aloof and one was a jerk.

Interview Questions

• Case interview about economics of credit card collections.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in May 2017.

Interview

I completely agree with the review posted on Sep 13, 1017, and had a very similar experience. The whole interview process started with a couple of phone interviews (HR, then a manager), followed by two online assessments tests (mini SAT/GRE test), followed by a "super-day" interview with 5 managers at their HQ (had to take time off from current job for this). So far so good, all went well, no complaints there. Received positive feedback, sent thank you emails....
     The HR person throughout the whole process was very professional and responsive. I was told I could expect to hear back within the next two weeks following the super-day interviews.

A couple of weeks later, HR calls and says they're working on creating the position, but that they have another position in mind for me, and asks if I can speak with two managers over the phone the following morning. Short notice, but I say OK. I speak with the managers, and while they're a little curt and to the point, it goes well. HR calls me back and says it went very well, everybody liked me, blah blah blah, and that they're waiting for finance or something to approve the budget for the position. A week goes by...HR calls frequently to give me a status (waiting on budget and other processes to come through before an offer is made) - daily or every two days. Then the second week goes by; frequency of calls diminish. More weeks go by and then radio silence. After about a month of not hearing back I send HR an email asking for the status, and I never hear back. Then, weeks later I get an automated email saying the position I applied for was canceled (not even sure which job at this point). The whole process, from the first HR interview to the automated rejection email, took about 4 months!

It doesn't end here! Weeks later out of the blue I get a call from HR saying they have another position in mind for me, and would like to setup an interview over the phone with the hiring managers over the next few days (no in-person needed since I already interviewed in person for previous positions). I'm like, sure, whatever. The whole thing just fizzled away and at this point I lost complete interest. No phone interview happened.

It doesn't end here! About a month later I get an automated email asking how the interviewing process went, asking for feedback!

To summarize:

- HR was either courteous, professional and proactive in keeping me updated, or completely radio silent.
    - I had a total four phone interviews, and one in-person (super-day, with four individuals), and that's before the next round of interviews which fizzled away
    - I had to take time off from work (whole day) for the super-day interview
    - 4+ month long process
    - Everyone was professional and courteous, but the whole process was horrible and a waste of time

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (Chicago, IL) in January 2016.

Interview

Very long and completely disorganized. HR had no idea what they were doing and got the band levels incorrect and kept switching between manager and senior manager after I had already applied. Typical to HR departments these days, the HR people tried to low ball me offer-wise and to get me to accept a lower title than I was offered at the competition and so underhired but paid enough not to mind that much.

Interview Questions

• Standard interview questions about work history plus some creative questions like how would you make a salt shaker if you had to make it 10 different ways?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Was able to negotiate pay but not title.