Capital One Interview Questions in McLean, VA | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 15, 2017

3.2

Technical Development Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in February 2016.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter in early December but was not scheduled an interview until February. They flew me out for an onsite interview that consisted of 3 parts: job fit, behavioral, and case .

Interview Questions

• How to check if a string is a palindrome. ignore whitespaces and punctuation   Answer Question

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in February 2016.

Interview

I arrived at their Mclean office at 11:30. Waited about 10 minutes, two employee came and took us to lunch. It supposed to show us a room to store our belongs. But instead lunch first. The lunch ended at 1:00 pm. We were assigned to a different room.There are three rounds interviews. First round is called job fit(technique problems). Second round is called case interview and then behavioral interview.

Technology Development Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA).

Interview

I met a recruiter at my university's career fair and submitted an application. About a week later I was contacted about setting up a non-technical on campus interview with a TDP manager. A couple weeks after the on campus interview I was asked to fly out the the McLean (D.C) office to conduct an on-site interview. The onsite interview consisted of a behavioral interview, a technical (coding) interview and a business case.

The behavioral interviewer asked fairly typical questions about my background and projects I had worked on. The technical interview asked fairly simple coding questions that can be found in most coding interview resources, the emphasis seemed to be placed more on explaining how I thought about the problem than getting the correct answer. I would recommend demonstrating multiple ways to solve the technical questions if possible. I had never done a business case in an interview before so I was a little bit nervous, but Capital One supplies you with a video to prepare you for how to work through a business case. The best advice I can give is just try to think through the case logically and be very vocal in your line of thinking, be confident in what you say and in explaining how you arrived to a solution.

I had an enjoyable interview experience, the process was very succinct and I always felt well informed about each step.

Director-level In Position In IT Security Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in January 2016.

Interview

Initial interview was with HR. Second step was passing online HR exams. After confirmation, HR scheduled a telephonic interview with the hiring VP. Once Interview with VP concluded successfully, VP notified HR to schedule candidate to come in for personal interviews of which there were 9 interviewers from potential subordinates, colleagues, to superiors.

Technology Development Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in January 2016.

Interview

Lunch, travel, and hotel was provided. But they did not provided dinner for the night before the interview, so that was on your own. They provide rides to and from the airport and the interview sight, so that was very nice. The driver also greeted me at the airport with my name. The interview consisted of 2 behavioral rounds, one round of technical (coding question), and one round of mock case.

Brand Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in January 2016.

Interview

Full day of interviews on site and via skype. Situational interviews. Suggested to use STAR Interviewing Technique, as outlined below.
    Situation or Task
    Describe the situation that you were in or the task that you needed to accomplish. You must describe a specific event or situation, not a generalized description of what you have done in the past. Be sure to give enough detail for the interviewer to understand. This situation can be from a previous job, from a volunteer experience, or any relevant event.
    Action you took
    Describe the action you took and be sure to keep the focus on you. Even if you are discussing a group project or effort, describe what you did -- not the efforts of the team. Don't tell what you might do, tell what you did.
    Results you achieved
    What happened? How did the event end? What did you accomplish? What did you learn?

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of when you showed initiative and took the lead.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA).

Interview

Interview onsite at their HQ in VA. 3 interviews, once case question (very intuitive), one behavioral (lots of tell me about a time...), one job fit (3 coding questions, 1 soft technical question). Received offer next business day.

Interview Questions

• Technical: design question, question about linked list,   Answer Question

Senior Brand Associate, Social Media Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in November 2015.

Interview

1. Screen phone call
    2. Online tests (think GRE)
    3. Phone interview with hiring manager
    4. Face to face interview with 5 team members including director, hiring manager, and various other associates. 2 job fit interviews, 2 behavioral interviews, 1 get to know you over lunch session.

Recruiter was very quick and supportive through the entire process. They fly you out and really take care of you, which speaks to their culture. Process was great even though I didn't get the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had a time when you had multiple things to get done and how you prioritized and what you did to meet your deadlines.   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Interview

Applied online and heard back from an HR contact fairly quickly. Had one initial phone screen with her (Hiring Manager had already looked at my resume) and then a follow up phone screen with the hiring manager. Initial phone screen was mostly behavioral with a heavy focus on my background and experience.

I was then invited to come in for a super-day. In total I had 7 interviews, more or less back to back, nothing longer than a 10 minute break in between any of them. Despite the length, the conversations were very laid back and easy to maintain. I had one case interview, two behavioral and the rest were job fit/technical. The case interview is laid out in almost the exact same way as the prep materials they send you so make sure you work through at least a few of those. The behavioral interviews were exactly how they indicate in the prep materials. The job fits fell on sort of spectrum from individuals who were really focused on my background to a few who wanted to know what I had learned/prepped for concerning my specific position. All of the prep you do for the job fit should be focused on your particular background and how that will apply to the position you are applying for (they are going to get very specific).

All in all, not to difficult and fairly smooth.

Interview Questions

• Job fit: Give me some examples of Balance Sheet Assets/Liabilities?   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in November 2015.

Interview

One case interview and a behavioral interview. The behavioral questions were fairly straightforward and did not come from the set of questions they had provided. I was not impressed with the nature of writing down everything a candidate was saying because it felt like I was narrating a story. The interviewer was amazing, but the nature of the interviews were somewhat very structured.The case interview was about a credit card company and the interviewer did a good job of walking me through the case at the beginning, but towards the end he seemed disinterested.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you went above and beyond, credit card case with different consumer segments.   Answer Question