Capital One Interview Questions in Nottingham, England | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 29, 2017

3.1

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Nottingham, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

-Application Form & Online Tests
    Practice doing some tests online before taking these, quite difficult but with practice become much easier.

-Video Interview
    More generic questions, regarding stuff like tell me about a time when you were under pressure and had to deal with multiple deadlines, and generic interview questions

-Assessment Centre
    4 Stages including Presentation and questions about it, Strengths based interview, Case Study interview and answer questions around a case study (this was the one area of maths orientated questions and finally group exercise, where new information is fed to you throughout the task.

-Final Interview with VP/Senior Executive (COO)
    -If successful through rigorous assessment centre, final interview with a VP within Ops or with the Chief Operating officer, more about you, quite informal, but they are clearly looking for you to show your personality and make sure it fits with the culture of collaboration that they heavily pride themselves on and then you have a final data analysis test, which is pretty standard and shouldn't put you off

Overall an outstandinginterview process, with aspects that are both challenging and rewarding. The recruitment team, particularly Olwen the recruitment co-ordinator, make you feel very valued from the start and want to ensure the best outcomes for you. A very enriching process. Clearly an outstanding company who do the best they can to find the real personalities behind the people they want to employ.

Interview Questions

• Why Operations within a credit lending company is vital?
      What motivates me as an individual?
      What challenges do Capital One face at the moment and in the short term future?
      1 Answer

Negotiation

They rang me to say I had been offered the role, and the package including salary and other benefits is outstanding for a company that is not in London. Whilst you should always look to get the most you can from your negotiation, for a graduate role starting in Nottingham, this is the best package I have seen from any organisation.

Finance Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (Nottingham, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

Tests in mathematics verbal reasoning, recorded interview at home, group interview, individual interview both technical and attitude and then final interview wit senior management. The process was straightforward but the timings were very long, almost a month in between every round

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nottingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (Nottingham, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

1. Online CV submission.
    2. Numerical and verbal tests.
    3. Video interview.
    4. Assessment day.
    5. Final interview.

The first two stages were pretty straightforward.

The video interview has standard behavioural questions. On top of those, there is a small/easy math problem that needs solving and explaining. Also, give a suggestion, e.g. how to improve the usage?

The assessment day consists of four different interviews: situational, group, product, and case interview. The situational interview gives quick questions that have no follow-ups. The group stage is based on discussing a recommendation and giving a presentation to interviewers. The product interview has itself three sub-stages: idea generation where you are asked to provide 10 improvements on a certain object; product analysis where you are asked to analyse the business model of a service/product with which you are familiar; and the improvement stage where you need to analyse whether the idea of 'Uber delivering office supplies' is viable. The case interview is more quantitative-heavy, and you need to know how to do break-even calculation, slopes, etc.

I was told that the final interview is also a case interview, which is similar to the one in the assessment day.

Interview Questions

• Why Capital One? Why this scheme? Technology other than Apple Pay?   Answer Question

Software Academy Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Nottingham, England (UK)).

Interview

After application:
    - Online work space awareness test
    - Online coding test
    - Video interview with prerecorded questions
    After passing these, assessment center with:
    - Group work exercise with other applicants
    - Pair coding with a software developer
    - Giving a presentation
    - Short interview
    After passing these:
    - Final interview with the Director of Software Engineering

Interview Questions

• What issues could the users have with the product you presented?   Answer Question

Finance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nottingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Nottingham, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

After submitting online application and passing the tests, I was invited to complete a video Interview within 7 days which was provided by Hire Vue, the interview consisted of about 7 questions

Interview Questions

• Talk about a recent innovative project Capital One or any of it's competitors have undertaken, how did the project benefit the customers, how successful was the project, how satisfied were the customers?   1 Answer

Graduate Risk Academy (UK) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nottingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One (Nottingham, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

After applying through their website the next stages are:

Situational judgement and mathematics tests
    These are pretty standard - so make sure you have adequate practice on these types of tests

Video interview:
    This is actually quite long (7 questions). There's a video at the start which goes into the culture which I recommend making brief notes on as you can mention this later. Capital One are keen on their values and mission statement - so make sure you know this and try to weave this into your answers. Also, make sure you know the area you are applying for and what is currently happening in that area. Questions are mostly strengths-based with a few about the organisation.

Assessment Centre (AC):
    Held in Nottingham (UK) in their HQ although I was only given 2 days notice. 5 candidates in total at the AC.
    First: One-on-one strengths-based interview - make sure you weave your knowledge of the company and its values into your answer as there was no specific question asking this. Also, make sure you know what is happening in the area and think of some examples which illustrate the skills they are looking for (collaboration, problem-solving etc.)
    Second: Presentation which is given to the the person who interviewed you. The topic is given in advanced and is related to the field you are applying. There are a couple of questions after so make sure you can justify the arguments you put forwards in the presentation. This is timed (5-10 minutes) but I ran slightly over and this wasn't a problem.
    Third: Lunch and a tour of the building. This was an hour spent with one of last year's graduates who was able to answer questions and showed us around the building.
    Finally: Group exercise - this task was about a business case (about launching a product). At the start everyone receives the same information, but at 3 intervals within the preparation time you are given more information. The first piece of additional information is different for every person so be aware of this and get everyone to share their information with the group. The next two are the same for the whole group. After the presentation there are some questions to the whole group. Standard tips apply - bring quiet people into the discussion, use names and use open questions - but make sure you remain calm (and also watch the clock so you don't run out of time).

Final Interview
    This is supposedly the final stage - HR wasn't sure if this would run this year (depends on the numbers of candidates). As I didn't get that far - I can't give any tips on this (or if it was run this year).

Interview Questions

• Standard strengths-based questions (apologies I can't be more specific) - look at examples online and try to weave their values into your answers   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nottingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Nottingham, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

I was fast tracked to assessment centre stage after doing a mini case at Oxford.
    Had 4 interviews on assessment day: Strength Interview, Group Interview, Product Interview, and Case Interview.
    Strength Interview was just like situational/fit interview, I was given hypothetical situations and asked what I would do.
    Product Interview was interesting. You will be asked to present a product/service.

Cloud Ops Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nottingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Nottingham, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

2 phone interviews, with hiring manager - went though my CV and describe what Capital One does and the position they were recruiting for. Explained the difference between UK and US teams.
    3 face to face interviews - 2 Job Fit Interview (1 hour) 1x Behavioural Interview (1 hour))
    Fairly informal, no real technical questions (more about my skills and where I was going). Behavioural Interview was 3 questions that required long detailed answers.

Interview Questions

• Q: Why capital one?
      Q: Why leave current role?
      Q: How long do you normally stay at a company?
      Q: Describe a scenario where you implemented something that saved the business money.
      Q: Have you been part of oncall rota?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nottingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One (Nottingham, England (UK)) in May 2016.

Interview

I applied via online form. The first round is an online assessment, which contains Work style preference & Critical Thinking Assessment (V 19 mins and Q 30 mins). The next day I received a video interview link, which is about 30 mins and one-way interview.

Interview Questions

• video:
      1. why capital one & program
      2. Apple Pay - another example
      3. exp - market or customer data
      4. exp - combine approaches to develop solutions & outcome
      5. exp - unfamiliar content project - how approach working & result
      6. case math - essay (answer)
      7. case math - video explanation
      8. case - how to increase number of customers
      9. why set you apart from others
      Answer Question

Graduate Technology Rotation Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Nottingham, England (UK)) in February 2016.

Interview

The first stage was an online test, which involved both a maths component and a langauage component. This was followed by a video Interview consisting of 6 behavioral questions. Thenn came an Assessment Day (Job specific interviews and a group exercise) and then Final Interview with the Senior Director

Interview Questions

• Why Capital One? Why Technology? What skills can you bring to the role? What skills have you learned during your internships? What achievements are you most proud off? What is your ideal career in the future?   Answer Question