Capital One Interview Questions in Nottingham, England | Glassdoor

3.2

34 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Graduate Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nottingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (Nottingham, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

Product interview,
    3 parts: 1) 10 things you would change about an umbrella to make it better, 2) talk about a product for 20 minutes, and how it could be better or diversify, 3) Amazon drone delivery is launching in 3 months, you're in charge of it, what would you do?
    All of these questions are on the spot you're given no time to prepare.
    Followed by a numerical case study then a simple group task, that they altered every 5 minutes, which makes it absurd to try and carry out.

Graduate Operations Academy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nottingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Nottingham, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

Group Exercise- pick 3 features for a the launch of a mobile phone app, throughout the task you will be given new information by one of the assessors
    Strengths based interview
    Presentation- in what ways do you think capital one can help vulnerable customers or those who are experiencing financial difficulty? 5-10 min presentation on this
    Case Study Interview- business problem solving with an interviewer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nottingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Nottingham, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

I applied online. Then got through to online test stage which involved standard situational, numerical and verbal tests. I passed those which then lead to a video interview. Only given 3/4 days to complete it which was over a weekend that I was not around for so I had to do it on the last day and it didn't work. Nothing recorded and I asked for help but no one replied in time and the deadline passed. They extended my deadline because of this and I finished the video interview. It was fine with normal 'why capital one', 'why are you different' type questions.

User Experience Designer, Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nottingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Nottingham, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by Capital One via LinkedIn. I usually turn down these types of advances but I like what Capital One is about, so decided to let the conversation continue. A phone interview with the hiring manager followed, which was very positive. I went into the offices for a (fairly intensive) multi-part interview process. This consisted of a portfolio review, job fit interview, design challenge and behavioural interview. The in-office interview was about 4.5 hours long.

In the end, I didn't get an offer. I've been told this was down to the Design Challenge. This is disappointing, but fair enough as I felt at the time it didn't go amazingly well, for a number of reasons.

In my case, I tried to show/explain something close to my real-world approach to design problems, which focuses heavily on trying to understand and frame the problem (in my opinion, critical), before generating divergent ideas, analysing, prioritising and developing the ideas that we think most closely align to the objective. In the end, I was criticised for picking too ‘safe’ an idea to develop into a storyboard. I think that’s a little harsh. In reality, I would tend to take a selection of ideas, do some kind of exercise to establish relative value vs. difficulty, then use that to help select which ideas to take forward, but there was no time (and, seemingly, no desire) to go through that type of process here, I had to use some arbitrary method to pick, so I just picked the one that (a) we had all collectively put forward in some form, and (b) most closely aligned to the problem statement we had agreed on. I made no attempt to pick the wildest or most ‘creative-seeming’ idea, which I think is what they really wanted.

I was criticised for creating the start and end of the story before filling in the middle part. Again, this is really weird because this is a very common best practice.

I was also criticised for not finishing the storyboard, which is fair enough. It seems I spent too much of the allocated time trying to frame the problem as well as explaining the ‘shortcuts’ I was taking versus real life. I think they wanted to see more of time spent on crafting the storyboard itself. Perhaps I should have just 'gone along' with it rather than constantly trying to explain that this is actually nothing like what I would do in real life. I found that hard as jumping in to solution mode before framing the problem is, to me, a typical and very junior design mistake, so I wanted to make it crystal clear I wasn't doing that.

It was also a little confusing as to whether I was supposed to be engaging the interviewers as co-collaborators in the exercise, or whether they would be standing off and observing. I got very mixed messages about this. I was under the impression I was supposed to be engaging and collaborating, but at one point was to told to ‘just go through my process’ rather than trying to engage. Frankly, in reality, there’s no way I would be standing in front of a whiteboard with two people looking over my shoulder just drawing on it without being engaged in lots of discussion. To me, that's kind of the point of whiteboarding, so again this was a bit weird and I’m disappointed to have been judged on this. But… it is what it is.

I have set many similar design challenges when hiring, and I always make sure to be clear on what 'role' I will be playing in the process, otherwise it gets all very weird and confusing. Unfortunately, that's exactly what happened here.

Overall though, the interview experience was still positive. Most of the people seemed really friendly, professional and open. Both of the HR folks I dealt with were great, the office in Nottingham is huge with good facilities, and the company seems to have a genuinely good vision, mission and ethos.

I would just advise any candidate seeking a design role to try to get really clear on what exactly they’ll be measured on in the Design Challenge (not easy, it’s an entirely ‘simulated’ experience and they don’t tell you much). And, based on my experience, err on the side of showing off your individual creativity, choose more ‘out there’ ideas, and spend time on crafting the deliverable, rather than on the problem framing part of the process, even if that's not how you roll in real life.

Interview Questions

• Design Challenge:
      - Review some material (you will have 20 minutes).
      - Craft a problem statement.
      - Ideate.
      - Create a storyboard.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nottingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One (Nottingham, England (UK)) in August 2017.

Interview

Appilication form
    Online Test, including numerical and verbal reasoning tests.
    Video interview, 9 questions, 45min.
    Assessment day. Four interviews including strength interview, group exercise, product interview, and case study interview. 5 hours. A really good experience. Interviewers were quite friendly.

Visual Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Nottingham, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

From applying for the job to being offered the role, my experience with Capital One was second to none.

The recruiters I dealt with were great for supplying me with information and swift to boot. They were also really welcoming when I arrived for my interview and made a day, what could be quite stressful, start off on the right foot.

When I first saw that the process consisted of five parts (phone interview a couple of weeks before the four-stage F2F interview) I found it a little daunting but it actually allows to really settle into the interview. The interview stages, themselves, were chilled enough to make me feel at ease yet professional and illustrative of a slick outfit.

Before leaving my last role I communicated that I think their interview process should follow a lot of the same process to Capital One's.

Interview Questions

• What skills and qualities could you bring to Capital One?   Answer Question
    • To show evidence of teamwork, results focus, customer focus, influence, judgement, problem solving and communication in past roles?   Answer Question

Graduate Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nottingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Capital One (Nottingham, England (UK)) in June 2017.

Interview

The assessment centre composed of four different aspects. Firstly, it started with a 1:1 skills-based interview with one of the company representatives. Here, they were trying to match whether your skills and experiences matched the company values. Secondly, there was a group exercise. This followed a normal case interview throughout which you were given new information. Then, there was a product interview which tested your creativity and ended with a traditional case study.

Interview Questions

• Think of a product and imagine 10 different ways in which it can be used.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nottingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Nottingham, England (UK)) in June 2017.

Interview

Interesting Unconventional interview process, online application then numerical tests, then a video interview followed by assessment day .

Assessment day broken up into 3 parts, two individual and one group interview

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nottingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (Nottingham, England (UK)).

Interview

After 3 months of my Graduate Data Scientist job application, I was contacted by the HR of capital one for a telephonic interview with the manager. HR was very polite and was informed by her that in first telephonic interview will be with the manager, and I will be given a case study and will be asked about my statistics and machine learning experience during PhD and Postdoc.

The manager call for the interview, and she introduced herself and she went straight to a case study regarding a dataset of 120 transactions/week with 150 attributes (variables) and was asked, steps for building a model? How to impute the missing value? How to find outliers? Answering these questions went well. And, finally, I was asked which model I would choose for this dataset and in which statistical computing language I would use? I answered these questions to best of knowledge of statistics. Next question I was asked was the syntax or command line in R to analyse the data. I gave the manager the list of packages which could be used in R. She was not satisfied. The interview was over after this question. It lasted 18 minutes. No programmer memorises the syntax!!! I was surprised why I am not asked about my previous experience in machine learning and statistics. Next day I received the review of the telephonic interview by an email from HR. She wrote that my CV had many machine learning and statistics techniques but when probed I only know regression, so my experience will not be useful. At first, I could not believe the review and for few minutes I kept reviving my previous day interview, I could not figure out why I got this review.

Give training on interviewing skills to your staff. How can I speak about my skills without being asked for? No developer or coder memorises syntaxes. Programming is a skill. It can only be demonstrated practically when given a chance. This type of question can only be asked some who have least experience in programming or perhaps run a single code all the time in his/her job.

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Nottingham, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

-Application Form & Online Tests
    Practice doing some tests online before taking these, quite difficult but with practice become much easier.

-Video Interview
    More generic questions, regarding stuff like tell me about a time when you were under pressure and had to deal with multiple deadlines, and generic interview questions

-Assessment Centre
    4 Stages including Presentation and questions about it, Strengths based interview, Case Study interview and answer questions around a case study (this was the one area of maths orientated questions and finally group exercise, where new information is fed to you throughout the task.

-Final Interview with VP/Senior Executive (COO)
    -If successful through rigorous assessment centre, final interview with a VP within Ops or with the Chief Operating officer, more about you, quite informal, but they are clearly looking for you to show your personality and make sure it fits with the culture of collaboration that they heavily pride themselves on and then you have a final data analysis test, which is pretty standard and shouldn't put you off

Overall an outstandinginterview process, with aspects that are both challenging and rewarding. The recruitment team, particularly Olwen the recruitment co-ordinator, make you feel very valued from the start and want to ensure the best outcomes for you. A very enriching process. Clearly an outstanding company who do the best they can to find the real personalities behind the people they want to employ.

Interview Questions

• Why Operations within a credit lending company is vital?
      What motivates me as an individual?
      What challenges do Capital One face at the moment and in the short term future?   1 Answer

Negotiation

They rang me to say I had been offered the role, and the package including salary and other benefits is outstanding for a company that is not in London. Whilst you should always look to get the most you can from your negotiation, for a graduate role starting in Nottingham, this is the best package I have seen from any organisation.