Capital One Operations Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Capital One Operations Analyst Interview Questions

3.8

67 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in March 2009.

Interview

First part was an online basic math test, second part was two 1:1 case interviews about business problems. Problems are very specific, mid-level algebra is necessary, and factors will change over the course of the case, and you will have to be able to support your assertions in the face of changing facts (or change your answers).

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in April 2007.

Interview

The interview process was very thorough. It began on campus with a quantitative exam with questions relating charts/figures with meaning, and was later followed up with a behavioral/small case interview (also on campus), and then ended with a series of 1-on-1 case studies on site. I felt that the process was fair and complete. HR was very friendly and accommodating. They contacted me within a few days after the interview.

Interview Questions

• There were a number of case studies, all of them relating mathematical equations/charts/solutions with physical meaning. They were fairly straightforward.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in November 2009.

Interview

Had to take a math and verbal test online before offered final interview. Final interview consisted of two case study and one behavioral. Case study were consisted of easy math an you get to use a calculator. One case study was relevant to their business while the other was more general. Each case starts off with qualitative answers and builds to the quantitative stuff. Make sure to talk out loud and the caser is typically helpful if you find yourself getting stuck.

Interview Questions

• trying to digest in numbers they give you quickly into a formulated answer an equation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in November 2008.

Interview

The interview process is very efficient. I applied through career services at my university and was asked to complete a skills test. The test was taken on campus, but I do believe Capital One does this online now. After passing the test. I was invited to an interview on the university campus. The cases are not hard, but not easy either. Make sure you look at the practice case on Capital One's website before going to the interview. After about three days, Capital One sent the email inviting me to final rounds at their corporate campus in Richmond deemed a powerday. The powerday consisted of 2 case interviews similar to the case taken at school and a behavioral interview. After lunch, they may or may not take you in for another case. It depends on how well you did on the first two cases.

Interview Questions

• You have the choice between using first class or third class mail for a letter you are sending out to potential customers. First class costs $0.50 per piece and reach 100% of potential customers. Third class costs $0.40 per piece and reaches 80% of potential customers. Which do you use?   10 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in March 2010.

Interview

There were several components to the interview process, but the hardest of which was the case study.

Once presented with a real world problem, I was asked to solve it with pen paper and use of a calculator.

The scenario is about reducing credit limits on their credit cards to limit exposure to risk (default on max credit amounts).

Interview Questions

• Rate yourself on a scale of 1 to 10 how weird you are.   15 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in August 2009.

Interview

The interview process was very comfrotable. I felt likea movie star. I got picked upin a limo and putup at a five star hotel. Everyone was very nice. They did the usual behavioral interview looking for respnses that utilize the STAR response technique and some leadership experience. I aced that part. I messed up on the case interview. The key to an offer is to ace the case analysis. I though it was going to be easy, but they trake you thorough a word case that asks you to jump back and forth between quantitative comoutations and qualitative business ideas. Then at the end, they ask you to use whichever calulations you believe are relevant to solve a semicomplex math rpblem like a breakeven analysis, or to set up simultaneouse equations and solve for the perfect amount of certrain varuiables to maximize someting. The hardest part isfiguring out all this on your own(how to solve the problem) while having a verbal discussion with a manager at the firm. If you pass the case test, your pretty much in, and it is worht it.They start ops analysts at around 60K and 10K signing bonus.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to work on a team with someone you did not get along with.   1 Answer

Operation Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in October 2010.

Interview

Started with a personality test. Once you pass that you move on to a congitive reasoning math and verbal exam online. Once passing that you get setup for a power day onsite. This consisted of a partial math reasoning exam, 2 case studies and 2 bahvioral interviews. The day is grueling and they take pride in their process. It seems that the process hinges on the case studies and I would recommend practicing as much as possible on algebra concepts as well as any case studies you can. It is a great experience but not one to take lightly.

Interview Questions

• Case study involving a decision about marketing costs for credit cards   Answer Question
    • case study involving call centers - this one was very difficult   1 Answer

Negotiation

Offer was made with minimal negotiation necessary

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in October 2010.

Interview

Capital One recruited at my university through career services. After being accepted to interview for the Operations Analyst program, I was instructed to take a online skills assessment. It was two parts, one math and the other verbal.

We were told ahead of time that the on-campus interview would be mainly focused on a case study. Capital One even came on campus a few days before the interview dates and held a mini-workshop on case interviews.

In the interview room there was myself and 2 reps from Capital One. One was administering the interview, while the other was there to mainly "proctor" the interview, though he did chime in on occasion. The case study centered around a scenario for interpreting default rates and the expected profit/loss based on a given set of data. It wasn't very difficult, but the interviewer didn't do the best job of explaining clearly what he was looking for. The case stressed probabilities and algebra much more than the business analysis of the case you were given.

Interview Questions

• We are currently using employment background as the sole determining factor in issuing credit to individuals. Can you see any negatives to this?   Answer Question
    • if X customers pay back their loans and we make Y dollars of them, and Z customers default and we lose D dollars off of them, how many good borrowers would we need to make up for every defaulting customer. Etc etc Variations off of that base.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in April 2011.

Interview

The online test was straight forward, with a section with behavioral questions and one with GMAT type verbal and quantitative questions.

The on site interview was more challenging. There were two behavioral interviews and two case interviews. The case interviews were challenging and relevant to Capital One's card business. Overall, it was a positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time when you've had to reach out to someone for assistance.   Answer Question
    • A case about whether Capital One should keep/discontinue employee verification.   1 Answer

Operations Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Capital One in May 2011.

Interview

I got a call from HR asking me to take a online personality and GMAT test. I did that and got a call back telling that I did not pass the assesment.