Capital One Operations Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Capital One Operations Analyst Interview Questions

3.8

Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

The first interview was a case interview. The manager interviewing me had a background in engineering so I feel like we approached the problem in completely different ways. He seemed to me like a huge bully and was very short with me if I proposed a solution he didn't like. Creativity was not what he was looking for at all. The way he presented the problem and phrased questions was completely confusing to me. When I was asking further questions about the position his answers made me feel like he didn't want me there and was trying to discourage me from continuing in the process.

Interview Questions

• How would you reach out to potential customers?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in March 2013.

Interview

Consists of one phone case interview, three on-site case interviews and behavioral interview.

Interview Questions

• When the quantitative case interviews become qualitative.   Answer Question

Pursued other opportunities

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX).

Interview

Took online behavioral test and online math-type test. Never had a phone interview. Was invited to an on-site interview. Consisted of 2 case interviews and 1 behavioral interview.

Interview Questions

• Calculate break-even interest rate for certain values that were provided   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Had to complete online process first, involving math and technical questions. After that, was invited for an on campus case interview. The question was not too challenging but they are just trying to figure out how you think. Made it to the next round and they flew me out to South Carolina. Went through a power day of three case interviews and a behavioral interview.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question asked was a case that involved many different credit card rates. Each new part of the problem introduced changed all of the previous steps so it was difficult to keep track of.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA).

Interview

Applied online and was offered an online test- they got back to me quickly for final round interviews on site. Everything was well run but the employees do not talk about their job in a professional manner

Interview Questions

• Case interviews were mostly just math questions- no qualitative analysis.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA).

Interview

Contacted to take an online assessment and then flown out to Richmond for a super-day. The interview consisted of 1 behavioral interview and 2 case interviews. The practice case interview is NOTHING like the onsite case interviews.

Interview Questions

• The case interviewers are clearly not trained on communicating the questions clearly.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in October 2012.

Interview

interview process is centered around cases. the cases are not similar to what you may be familiar with used for management consulting roles. Capital One's cases are very quantitative. Most of my peers were engineers. If you happen to be an engineer, you should be fine, just make sure that you get enough sleep the night before. It may help to brush up on your math skills, and I would recommend doing so. Acceptance rate is only about 5%, I was told. I'm not sure if this stat is based from those who got invited to interview or from those who took just the first step in the application process.

Interview Questions

• be prepared to do back-of-the-envelope math computations   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation for interns

Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One in October 2012.

Interview

The recruiter that I dealt with was very responsive and quick to respond on questions and concerns. The process that I went through was a 1:1 interview on campus that involved both a behavioral portion and a small case, though the case was more like a series of mathematical word problems than a typical case interview. For the second round, they put us up in a hotel by their headquarters and put us through a blitz day, consisting of tours, 2 additional case interviews and another behavioral interview.

Interview Questions

• Case question involving credit card risk. Algebra intensive, we were given math problems and asked to solve them   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA).

Interview

Capital One booked a train down to Richmond, VA for the interview. Went on a tour of the campus, met with other employees who explained different career paths. The first day consisted of a mostly casual meet and greet. Second day featured three case interviews and two behavioral interviews. The behavioral interviews were standard, questions about leadership, working as a team, etc. Case interviews were fun and challenging, be sure to practice different business scenarios based on efficiency and cost effectiveness.

Interview Questions

• One of the case interview questions revolved around improving the business model of a ferry crossing a river in regards to changing traffic and cost scenarios. They were looking for strategic thinking to find ways to make the ferry business more efficient.   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Capital One in July 2012.

Interview

Very smart and well-researched process:
    Submit resume through an Analyst Development Program online.
    Phone screening interview.
    and/or School campus interview if you're a junior/senior at a college they hire from.
    Corporate Campus interview.
    Hiring decision (about 90% reduction at each step)

The phone screening is mostly a goodness of fit for the roles you could be considered for. They suggested I should be a Data Analyst given my background in engineering (but really because they don't have enough DAs) but I prefered Operations, so I interviewed for that (probably should have gone with DA given my personality)

School and Corporate campus interviews are the same, consisting of a mix of Case and Behavioral interview sections. They should still give an example case and some example behavioral questions because they want to test how you think, not how familiar you are with interview techniques. But in case they don't, just have a few good "tell me about a time when..." stories that you can apply for different questions. For Case interviews, write equations down and edit them as the follow-up questions get more complex. "Are you sure?" isn't always a hint that you're missing something. Each section is done by a different interviewer and scored so that individual rapport bias will be less important. Also, no one wears coats or ties at Capital One except for interviewees. I skipped the tie and was fine.

I believe they got rid of this, but there used to be an online screening test for reading comprehension and business math. The reading comprehension would try to trip you up because you could only use knowledge from the presented material, so even if you know the speed of sound is slower than the speed of light, the correct answer is "I don't know" if you couldn't find it in the reading. The business math was algebra-level and some statistics with some business knowledge. Plenty of practice questions available.

I daresay the whole process was fun.

Interview Questions

• I can't divulge a specific question. But I found my limited experiences made the behavioral interview difficult, but clearly not deal-breaking. I only had about 4 stories, and I needed 3. Have more so that you can fit them better to the question.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Since they were hiring 200 people at a time, it was very systematized. No negotiation unless you had a better offer somewhere else. Then they would automatically match it up to 5k more.