Capital One Operations Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Capital One Operations Analyst Interview Questions

3.8

67 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in October 2012.

Interview

interview process is centered around cases. the cases are not similar to what you may be familiar with used for management consulting roles. Capital One's cases are very quantitative. Most of my peers were engineers. If you happen to be an engineer, you should be fine, just make sure that you get enough sleep the night before. It may help to brush up on your math skills, and I would recommend doing so. Acceptance rate is only about 5%, I was told. I'm not sure if this stat is based from those who got invited to interview or from those who took just the first step in the application process.

Interview Questions

• be prepared to do back-of-the-envelope math computations   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation for interns

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA).

Interview

There is an online application to be filled out initially, typically found through the university's career services. Next is an on-campus interview. It is one case interview, after which they typically inform you very quickly if you move on to the next round of interviews. The next and final round is an on-site interview that includes two cases and a behavioral interview with the potential for a third case at the end.

Interview Questions

• The case interviews can be tricky, but as long as you pay close attention to your work, they are very doable.   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

Interview

Round 1: Located at my university and included a 1 on 1 interview case study where I had to solve a business problem using math and logic. It wasn't too difficult but they did not ask me many questions about myself. They really wanted to see how my brain worked.

Round 2: (at their campus) I was at an interview day with about 10 other candidates who were interviewing for internships and full time positions for all of the different analyst positions. We were separated into separate rooms and interviewers rotated between our rooms. There was a personality interview as well as a few case studies. After the interviews all of the candidates received a tour of the campus, which is very impressive, and ate lunch. After lunch is the "optional interview" where you don't know if you will get asked another question. My recruiter told me that they only keep you for more questions if they need more details about you to make a decision. I was not asked to stay for additional questions and received a phone call the next morning from my recruiter with the companies decision.

Interview Questions

• Know that is is okay to ask questions and talk to your interviewer through the case study. They want to know how you think and not just that you can get the correct answer.   1 Answer

Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

The interview process consisted of 2 case interviews and a behaviour interview.

First case interview consisted of credit card promotion marketing techniques; direct mail and telemarketing. Choosing the one that is more profitable for the business.

Second case consisted of acquisition of shipping company, breakeven volumes and price analysis.

Interview Questions

• None, the interviewers are helpful throughout the process   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in April 2013.

Interview

Interviewed in Richmond, VA. Two case studies and one behavioral. One case is about the credit card, how to earn profit and what are the costs, what if clients don't pay, interest rate increase/decrease, credit line increase/decrease. Second is about grain shipping company, some influential factors, like weather, fuel prices.

Interview Questions

• Cases. Some factors will change as the variable changes. Pay attention to this.   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

I saw the posting on my University's Career site, I then sent a follow up email to the recruiter. She then let me know in that she wanted to have a phone case style interview. (about a week)

I had the phone case style interview. The interviewer was very nice and reassuring over the phone. He asked me about paperless banking. First he asked how we would get more customers to join paperless billing. We then talked about incentives. If we send out 100,000 emails. two plans 1. 50,000 20% response rate and $4 credit and 2. 50,000 30% $10 credit.
    we save lifetime $12 on people the switch how much do we make.
    I was then asked to calculate the break even response rate for the $10 credit email.

Interview Questions

• They sent me a rejection email but I never got it. I followed up with the recruiter and she was like. Oh I sent you a rejection email. You never go it?   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

The first interview was a case interview. The manager interviewing me had a background in engineering so I feel like we approached the problem in completely different ways. He seemed to me like a huge bully and was very short with me if I proposed a solution he didn't like. Creativity was not what he was looking for at all. The way he presented the problem and phrased questions was completely confusing to me. When I was asking further questions about the position his answers made me feel like he didn't want me there and was trying to discourage me from continuing in the process.

Interview Questions

• How would you reach out to potential customers?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX).

Interview

Took online behavioral test and online math-type test. Never had a phone interview. Was invited to an on-site interview. Consisted of 2 case interviews and 1 behavioral interview.

Interview Questions

• Calculate break-even interest rate for certain values that were provided   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Had to complete online process first, involving math and technical questions. After that, was invited for an on campus case interview. The question was not too challenging but they are just trying to figure out how you think. Made it to the next round and they flew me out to South Carolina. Went through a power day of three case interviews and a behavioral interview.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question asked was a case that involved many different credit card rates. Each new part of the problem introduced changed all of the previous steps so it was difficult to keep track of.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in October 2011.

Interview

Applied on-line and applied for an interview through my school's on-campus interviewing program. Took some online assessments and then was accepted for a 1:1 case style interview on campus. Heard back a week or so later that I was invited to the "powerday" in Richmond.

Three 1:1 interviews in Richmond. Two case style and one behavioral. After lunch, I was asked to stay for another interview. Heard back a few days later about a full time offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you had to learn a new skill or material to accomplish a task.   Answer Question