Capital One Operations Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Capital One Operations Analyst Interview Questions

3.8

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in February 2012.

Interview

To start i will say that i am an engineering major, i've heard engineers have an easier time with the case studies due to the fact that we are good with math and problem solving.

After the company reviewed my resume, through my University, i was invited to take an online assessment. The online part was very easy, basic algebra and graphs, SAT type math. Afterwards, was given a 1on1 interview at my particular University. The first 1on1 is a case study, the case study was involving credit card type problems, and involves statistics and algebra, as well as basic knowledge of what might make a company more money (eg. increase profit, decrease costs).

After this, i was invited to Richmond for a number of interviews. Of the 12-15 people there i believe only around 3-5 of us got an offer. 2 case interviews and a behavioral interview in the morning. The cases were decently challenging, but they aren't expecting a perfect score, just that you show good insight, and great problem solving skills. A nice tour of the campus and free lunch, then they invited 3-4 of us back for a interview in the afternoon.

The afternoon interview was with a VP of the company, it showed how much the company cared that they sent someone that high up to interview us, just to make sure we really would help the company. The last interview is again a case interview, and was around the same difficulty as all the others.

I was told in an extremely short amount of time that i had passed and was extended an offer to join the company.

Interview Questions

• Break-even point between revolvers and transactors (involving credit cards).   1 Answer

Negotiation

Keep looking and you can find general salary information online. Don't be nervous, just do what you can do and keep going if you make a mistake. Ask the interviewer questions to clarify! If you work with the interviewer, they want you to succeed , and if you are doing well they don't want to trick you, so just talk to them if you have trouble on one part of the case study.

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in January 2012.

Interview

I found out about the position through my school and was asked to take an online assessment which consisted of personality, verbal, and math/chart reading skills. I then had a case interview later that week which was not too challenging (they asked me to calculate a breakeven for different credit card users). Two weeks later I flew out to Richmond where i had 3 case interviews and one behavioral interview. The cases were challenging and I got stuck on a few parts.

Interview Questions

• Basic behavioral questions. (Ex. Tell me about a time where you disagreed with your team)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in October 2011.

Interview

The case interview is fairly easy I found. However, if you stumble in any manner at all you will not be invited back for a 2nd interview even if you have completed the case correctly. The real problem is the 2nd interviews. There are 3 more case interviews and a behavioral interview in one day. It is quite grueling and mentally exhausting.

Interview Questions

• What recommendation would you make based on the previous data?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in October 2011.

Interview

After passing "mini-GMAT" skills test, was flown out to Plano to interview. Behavioral interview was easy, but case interviews were more difficult. Was a little nervous under pressure and could not come up with all of the equations that they wanted. Was not offered a position.

Seems like a great company to work for. Great hours, relaxed environment (analyst can come to work in jeans!). Also seems like a professional environment with good training and development.

Interview Questions

• Find break-even point given certain business situations.   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One in October 2011.

Interview

I submitted my resume through the career center at my university. I was contacted by them to take a personality test, then a couple weeks later I was contacted to take a math/logic test. After that I had an initial on campus case interview, I made it past that round and made to what they call the "power day" which is where they fly you out to plano and give you 3 more interviews. Two of them are case interviews and one of them is a behavioral interivew. They invite some of the candidates back for a 3rd case interview, but they claim that is neither a posative or negative sign. I was not invited back for a third case interview, and I reieved my rejection call the next day.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you overcame adversity to complete a project on time.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in October 2011.

Interview

The interview process at Capital One is a case study. Before they gave the interview, they held an info session. It gave me insight on what they were looking for and what the interview process was going to be like. At the interview, they gave me a hypothetical situation that I had to solve through. My situation was how many customers are needed to break even given a $10,000 credit limit. They look for you to ask questions to better assist yourself in the interview process. As I got more data, I constructed a formula to determine the number of new applicants needed for the $10,000 credit limit. The next question was what would happen if you raised the credit limit to $20,000. I suspected that it would increase the number of applicants and with that information I determined a new break-even equation. At the end of the interview, my interviewer asked me if I would keep it at the $10,000 limit or raise it to $20,000. I said I would raise it because it would increase profitability by luring in more customers.

Interview Questions

• What are the number of new customers needed in order to break even?   7 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in August 2011.

Interview

Applied for position listed on career website. Next day heard back from recruiter requesting that i complete assessment. It was basically like the GMAT. I passed that and was contacted to come in for a "Power Day" where I interveiw with 3 people. One interview was a behavioral interview and the other two were case study's. I did well on the behavioral and one case interview. Messed up the final case stupidly. That was it. Informed within 5 days that I would not continue on with the process.

Interview Questions

• how many feet tall is an elphant on stiltz who see's a mouse?   Answer Question
    • tell me about a time you had to persuade someone.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in April 2011.

Interview

The interview process at capital One was fairly involved. First there was an online application portion which was relatively easy. just the normal resume cover letter stuff. Then if you got past that portion you had to do online tests for personality and quantitative skills. finally if that went well you had a face to face on campus interview. If all the prior steps went well then you would move on to be interviewed in richmond virginia. This this consisted of a day long interview on their campus. which essentially was 5 seperate inverviews with 5 seperate people.

Operations Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Capital One in May 2011.

Interview

I got a call from HR asking me to take a online personality and GMAT test. I did that and got a call back telling that I did not pass the assesment.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in April 2011.

Interview

The online test was straight forward, with a section with behavioral questions and one with GMAT type verbal and quantitative questions.

The on site interview was more challenging. There were two behavioral interviews and two case interviews. The case interviews were challenging and relevant to Capital One's card business. Overall, it was a positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time when you've had to reach out to someone for assistance.   Answer Question
    • A case about whether Capital One should keep/discontinue employee verification.   1 Answer