Capital One Product Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Capital One Product Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Capital One

3.7

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One in January 2015.

Interview

The process began when the recruiter Casey from VA area emailed me wanting to talk. I said ok. Then she disappeared for 2 weeks. After sending her an email and a voicemail , she finally got back to me after 2 weeks (with no apology or explanation).

Then she wanted me to talk to the hiring manager. That went well.

They then invited me to an all day interview in their Plano campus.

I had 6 1:1 one hour sessions including the case study for which I prepared hard. During all of the interviews I got the impression that I did well, I got most of the math case study answers right.

Despite all of the good vibes and feedback, the recruiter called me after I called her and said they did not want to proceed.

None of the interviewers had the courtesy to email me back on my thankyou emails. Recruiter said she cannot share why they passed on my application.

Interview Questions

• 2 credit cards options. one with marketing campaign and certain costs and one without. find the profits and go or no go depending on some data they give you .   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in June 2015.

Interview

Started with a 1st round job fit. Basic interview questions - talk about your experience, why did you apply to this job, etc. Power day consisted of 1 design challenge, 1 business analyst case, 1 primary banking relationship case, 1 behavioral interview, and 1 job fit. Results within 1 week.

Interview Questions

• How would you put a fast food chain in an airport?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vienna, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Vienna, VA).

Interview

Three phone interviews followed by one full day onsite interview. Very engaging and well prepared panel. Had a design challenge followed by two business case interviews, one behavioral and three job fit interviews. The panel seemed quite informal and did not intimidate and made it seem like a discussion. Overall a great process
    Did not get any feedback or email around not getting the job. Which is quite frustrating.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to influence someone or a influence a group.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in March 2016.

Interview

Started with a quick 30 minute phone screening. I was asked a few behavioral questions, and was given a short case interview. A couple of weeks later, I was flown out by Capital One to Plano, Texas. There, I was given two hour-long case interviews, and one hour-long product interview. The Case interviews were a little tricky, and more mathematically oriented. The product interview was a straight forward discussion of a simple product that the interviewer chooses, and then a product that you get to choose.

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in February 2015.

Interview

Interview consists of two business cases, two behavioral interviews, two job fits and a design challenge. It is an extremely challenging process and very few candidates make it through.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in June 2016.

Interview

Very straightforward, as explained by the recruiter. Recruiters were very helpful and did a great job staying connected throughout the process.

Interviewers were a mixed bag personality-wise. The folks that have worked in other companies were very easy going, down to earth and a pleasure to speak with. The folks that have been there a while definitely had a chip on their shoulders and were uptight. They were generally much more introverted than I would have expected for folks in product leadership positions. The folks making the hiring decisions in the product group tend to be from financial, math based backgrounds. Be aware of this when interfacing with them - think of the friend you have that avoids eye contact, is often aloof and forgot to have his mom iron his clothes.

Salary is on the lower side, especially when one compares the same role/responsibilities to other financial institutions.

They are trying to bring 'west coast' cultural aspects of running the product and IT groups. While I can respect them for trying something different, it seems like they 'watched the movie The Intern and copied a lot of things' as mentioned by one of the folks I had lunch with. I was very cognizant of this as I met with subsequent interviewers and associates. Sometimes trying to be different in this way is...well, sometimes it is not actually different.

Interview Questions

• Design problem = be ready to whiteboard for the entire 90 minutes.   1 Answer
    • Case studies = don't waste your time studying formulas, etc. the questions were analytical and scenario based. the math was very similar to a long word problem one would find in a GMAT test.   Answer Question
    • behavioral = the usual tell me when you....failed, disagreed with leadership, and made an unpopular choice.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Capital One (San Francisco, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

Its brief, they are in a hurry to fill the position, not necessarily find the right person. You have to pass a written test, which is like a SAT. Again unnecessary and doesn't add any value. Interviewers were clueless and not sure what they are hiring for, couple of the panel guys didnt even have my resume to look at.

Interview Questions

• They asked questions from my resume. Projects I had done before, skills, what was the most difficult situation you've encountered etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

Application

The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Vienna, VA) in August 2014.

Interview

Typical recruiter phone screen then call with Hiring manager then brought in for interview with 5 people (5hrs) one of which was an informal lunch. The whole process took about 3 weeks. Got an offer for a different position and went with it because once in, I knew I could move around. Offer came within a day.
    Had to work with 3 recruiters because of vacation schedules which was a bit annoying.

Definitely study for the case interview. Review the paperwork your recruiter provides. There are a few really good prep videos on you tube.
    Behavioral interviews (3) were your typical 'tell me a time when...'. Be prepared to give answers that meet STAR guidelines.

Interview Questions

• What would you have done differently knowing the outcome of a previous release plan and product earnings after each sprint?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There's little room for negotiation because C1 has rankings and those bands are set base on the position ranking you're applying for.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Capital One (Charlottesville, VA) in September 2016.

Interview

Very short 30 minute interview, simple case, not much behavioral at all. Messed up on some of the math but that's the way it goes. Just try to be prepared mentally.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in February 2016.

Interview

Was interviewed on Campus and then attended a Super Day at the Richmond office. The interviews all consisted of Case Studies along with some behavioral questions at either the beginning or end. All interviewers were very nice, but if you missed one part of the case study you messed it all up.