Capital One Interview Questions in Richmond, VA | Glassdoor

3.2

Sort:

Outbound Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in July 2010.

Interview

Job fair at Capital One site. Multi interviews regarding different aspects. Computer tests and one on one review of experience. Well planned. Interview review of resume, then computer testing (2 hrs) Phone interview was further screening...offer job next day. But not clear on job duties while at the fair.

Interview Questions

• None. Very basic questions that are rather reviews about your resume. The roll play was much easier to pass than other industries. I overwhelmed them, but I was over qualified. Bad for me as the position was frustrating because of that...for me.   Answer Question

Negotiation

NOOOO negotiation.

Contracts Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in March 2018.

Interview

The interview process was long and drawn out for over six weeks. First started with a screening call from HR. Then had to take an online assessment determining competence in reading comprehension and math. Next there was a phone interview with one of the members of the department, which asked very basic questions about my background. Then two weeks after the phone interview was an on-site interview at the West Creek campus, with six separate interviews scheduled. The interviewers were pleasant and most seemed interested in knowing more about me, but one did not seemed interested at all. While she was nice, she only asked me three questions, behavioral type questions like what would you do in this situation, and then did not let me ask her any questions. My last interview of the day ended up being canceled because unfortunately that interviewer got sick. Before I left, the recruiter I had been working with throughout this process came and spoke to me and told me that he would call me that Friday regardless of the decision (the interview was on a Wednesday). I also had a question for him that he could not answer at that time, so he asked me to email him to remind him. I emailed him the question, but never heard back from him for an answer. I also did not receive a call from the recruiter like he said. In fact, I did not hear anything from anyone at Capital One for another two weeks when the recruiter finally emailed me telling me that they went with someone with more relevant experience. The reason I'm rating this as a negative experience is because the whole process was drawn out too long, and for the silence after the interview despite being specifically told by the recruiter that he would call me that Friday, and that he would answer questions that I had after the interviews, which he never answered. Overall, I felt that I was lead on for almost two months through an unnecessarily drawn out process.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA).

Interview

The entire Capital One recruiting team was great, very responsive to e-mails and answering any and all questions. First interview was on campus which just consisted of a short door greeting followed by a standard behavioral interview. Followed up very quickly by offering a second interview on their campus. This second interview took place over the course of an afternoon, which included a guided tour, lunch and a room for each candidate which posed as your home base so to speak for the three interviews that followed. This included a behavioral, job-fit and case study interview. The interviewers themselves were some of the best I have ever had-all very down to earth and responsive to normal dialogue rather than strictly reading from their prompt.

Interview Questions

• The case study was by design the hardest question, but not anything that you have not seen in any class prior.   1 Answer

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in March 2014.

Interview

Was brought in for a tour and lunch, then interviewed through the standard behavioral and job fit process. The guides were very enthusiastic about selling the company, and I entered the interview much more excited about the potential for a role here. The interviews were very professional and did a great job putting me at ease and walking me through the process, answering all of my questions.

Interview Questions

• Talk about your volunteer experience (as it relates to the corporate values and culture).   Answer Question

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in March 2017.

Interview

submitted resume
    get contacted ~10 days after for an onsite interview
    given 5 options where and when to interview
    studied full 3 weeks
    interview day: tour, lunch, then the 3 interviews (behavioral, case, technical) in random order
    recruiter calls me 2 days after then received written offer later the day
    compenstation depends on your location preference
    BTW, my recruiter is by far the friendliest recruiter I've ever had; very prompt to emails; did her best to accomodate my needs

Interview Questions

• behavioral - you have to answer in STAR format; be as specific and detailed as possible; interviewer will take notes
      case - the most challenging just because it's kind of unique type of interview; involves business and math
      technical - not hard at all compared to questions asked by big N companies; know your DS   Answer Question

Audit Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in October 2015.

Interview

I applied online around the time of my college business fair. I was chosen as an alternate for an interview the following week. The first interview was on campus and it was a behavioral interview. I would suggest knowing S.T.A.R. for every question. My interviewer was very conversational and made me feel very comfortable. After the weekend, I received an email for 2nd round interviews in Richmond. This consisted of 3 interviews; case study, behavioral, and job fit. All three were very conversational, just make sure you know what Capital One is and how it best fits you. I received an offer the following Monday and accepted a couple weeks later. I had the choice of relocating to Richmond or to be in the McLean office.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.
      What's something on your resume that you really want to emphasize?
      Name a time you came up with something innovative and put it into action.
      Name a time you had difficulty with a project and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Audit Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA).

Interview

Very friendly. I went to the superday interview and each interviewer asked me around 3 easy behavioral questions. The rest of the interview was just having a conversation. It was very conversational. and they kept telling me that they didn't want it to be a stressful interview. They're basically trying to get to know your personality and if you would fit in with the company.

It was 2 company fit interviews and 1 behavioral interview.

Java Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in March 2017.

Interview

Contacted by internal recruiter, who setup phone screen with current staff engineers. Passed the phone screen and was invited to participate in power day: face to face interviews in Richmond, VA. All expense paid flight and trip.

Interview Questions

• Phone Interview: How would you take a paragraph and find the number of occurrences for a given particular word?   1 Answer
    • What happens if I put a Key-Value pair into a HashMap, when the key is the same?   1 Answer
    • Homework: Write architecture to consume our REST service and then sum up the averages of various transactions.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA).

Interview

I stopped by the Capital One booth at my schools Career fair. Shortly after I was contacted by a recruiter to set up an on campus first round interview. The interview was purely behavioral, consisting of questions to the tune of "How did you overcome X." I was told in my interview that I had preformed well that that I would be advancing to the next round (My interviewer must have had a long day of duds).

Final rounds consisted of three interviews, lunch, and a tour of the Richmond Capital One office. At final rounds there was a group of ~15 candidates who, I assume, all went through the same process.
    The three interviews consisted of a case interview, a technical interview, and a behavioral interview. The interviewers were all kind and gave me feedback at the conclusion of each interview. The interviewers were a mix of management staff and software engineers. After the interviews one candidate was asked to stay for further questions (I assumed this meant he was receiving an offer), while the rest of the candidates were shown out of the office. Much to my surprise I received a phone call not two hours later, while I was still driving home, congratulating me on the interviews and giving me an offer.

After interviewing I got the impression that while I was applying for a software development position the focus of the interviews personality and critical thinking. This was a little off-putting because it makes me believe that it is possible to be hired at Capital One as a Software Engineer without being a great coder. For technical preparation I would recommend purchasing or downloading a copy of Cracking The Coding Interview 5th edition. All of the technical questions I was asked came directly, WORD FOR WORD, from this book. Proper preparation, along with good communication skills is a recipe to preform well and get a great offer.

Interview Questions

• The case question was about mortgage securities, a topic I am not particularly familiar with. Luckily after some question asking and thinking aloud I was able to work my way through the case.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I have a friend who interned at Capital One last year before taking an offer. He told me his salary and I was able to negotiate up to it by leveraging a competing offer from Red Hat.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in February 2014.

Interview

They flew me out to their campus. The night before the interview there was a really relaxed question and answer session. The day of the interview we were taken from the hotel and given a tour of the campus. After the tour and some lunch the interview began. There are 3 interviews, a case interview, a behavior interview, and a job fit interview.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question for me was the coding questions. They asked about what a certain line of code did and then they had me code a sorting algorithm or sorts. I was asked to code a function that would find the first none repeated letter.   2 Answers

I declined because I had another offer that was closer to family. If it were not for that factor I would have chosen Capital One.