Capital One Senior Business Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 13, 2017

3.3

73 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Recruiter screen then phone case.. After the phone case there would have be a final round with case questions, but I didn't make it that far. I believe that I answered the qualitative case questions really well. But needed a bit of guidance regarding the quantitative questions. I answered them correctly, but probably not fast enough for their liking. Additionally, there was some confusion over the interviewer's verbiage. I think Capital One pays too much attention to how quickly you an solve the problem. And doesn't place much emphasis on other elements important to the case like your thought process and the more qualitative elements. For that reason it's probably not a good fit.

Interview Questions

• Lotteries are typically run by government agencies. Governments often use the funds for public school education, etc.
    1. Why might people buy a lottery ticket?
    The lottery has 3 prize levels and when you buy a ticket you are put in contention for all 3 prize levels
    Odds:
    1st : 1 in 10 million, the prize is 1 million
    2nd :1 in 1000, the prize is 200
    3rd :1 in 10, the prize is 5 dollars
    2 million tickets are sold
    Tickets cost 2 dollars to buy
    4 million in revenue from ticket sales
    2. On average, how much should an individual expect to win from the lottery?
    3. Is buying the lottery ticket a good deal for consumers?
    4. How can the lottery attempt to sell more tickets?

Let’s say, the lottery modifies its prize structure
    They decide to add an additional 4 million in prize money, split between the 2nd and 3rd options. This money is split collectively between all winners
    1st :1 in 10 million, the prize is 1 million
    2nd :1 in 1000, the prize is 200. There is also a 2 million prize which will be split collectively between the winners
    3rd :1 in 10, the prize is 5 dollars. There is also a 2 million prize which will be split collectively between the winners
    5. What is the collective value of a ticket now?
    6. How many additional tickets does the lottery have to sell to break even on the money they put toward the new prizes? Assume, they’ve already broken even on the cost of the other lottery prizes.
    7. Is it viable to sell that amount of additional tickets?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Applied through employee referral, then contacted by recruiter, he arranged a phone case interview, after this step it is the power day (case+behavioral), which I don't know yet since I just finished the phone case interview. I will update next week about the interview status.

Interview Questions

• I just finished my phone case interview. Hopefully I can get to the next round. But here is the phone case interview: we are trying to raise funds to accommodate more children after school. What are the possible ways of raising funds?If we focus on the online fund raising and the option of hosting a gala, calculate the profit for each option, which option should we choose? If there is low budget donor vs big donor, given the maximum donation low budget donor are to donate, calculate the avg. donation amount needed from the big donor to reach an average of X dollar donation. Now, we can target big donor vs small donor vs portfolio by hosting gala or online fund raising, which way is the best? Now, each donor online will have a friend to donate, how much money does the friend need to donate to reach a breakeven point?   1 Answer

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Capital One as a company is really good in managing your travel, stay, and interviews. However, a lot depends on who is interviewing you. In my second round, the person did not seem very interested. Also he kept on interfering a lot, and it felt like he was sitting on my head. Even for simplest calculations, I had to use calculator, because the entire process made me nervous and uncomfortable. So, be prepared for that. Also, when they send you case preparation materials, they stress a lot on break-even point. However, do not expect your onsite interview to be that simple, and be based exactly on that. Lastly, they look for very very specific answers, and do not appreciate the out-of-box thinking. So, if you do the exact calculations, you 're thru! Good Luck!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in July 2017.

Interview

According to the recruiter, the hiring process starts with a phone case interview, followed by a Super Day which consists of two case interviews and one behavioral interview. The phone case interview is designed to last 25 to 30 mins.

Interview Questions

• Suppose your client is one of the leading TV Channel provider (i.e. ESPN). How they generate revenue?   1 Answer
    • What informations/factors do you need to consider to determine the channel's profits?   1 Answer
    • Suppose, the number of subscribers are 100 million, Ad revenue is $36 per customer per year, and subscription revenue is $7 per customer per month. The programming rights cost is $6 billion and content cost is $3 billion. Calculate the profit.   1 Answer
    • The company is losing 1 million subscribers every month. What are the possible reasons for losing subscribers? Given the company is losing subscribers at this pace, how long can the company continue, until it starts making loss?   10 Answers
    • What are some of the ways the company can increase revenue and bottom line? Suppose the company partners with an online streaming platform (i.e. Hulu), what are the pros and cons?   Answer Question
    • Given the company forms a partnership with Hulu. The subscription fee is $2 per customer per month and ad revenue is $3 per customer per month, for additional customers. Hulu has 50 million subscribers and the adoption rate is 20%. How will this affect the company? How long can the company last without making loss?   4 Answers
    • Should the company go ahead with the partnership?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in July 2017.

Interview

It was a 30 minutes phone call with a senior manager at Capital one. The interview introduced himself at the beginning and entered in the case right away. The process is not tough, but you need make the math correct without any mistake.

Interview Questions

• It is a profit calculation case.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (New York, NY).

Interview

Had multiple phone Interviews prior to an in-person super day. Each phone call consisted had a case study example that I had to solve over the phone. Other then that, the interview was smooth and classic behavior questions were asked. At the super day, I was interviewed by 3 different people. The first interview was a behavioral interview, asking questions about my experiences and how I reacted to certain situations. The next two interviews were case studies, one was credit card related and tied to what work the analyst does and the other was very random (I remember it being about farms and hay stacks.) Unfortunately, I did not receive an offer.

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in August 2016.

Interview

There was a phone screen followed by an invitation to an in-person "Power Day" at the Capital One offices.

Power Day consisted of three before-lunch interviews (two case, one behavioral) followed by lunch with a current associate. An additional after-lunch interview could occur of the interviewers want additional information or have not been able to make a final decision (in favor or against) about the candidate. The after-lunch interview could be behavioral, case, or some combination, depending on the unique situation.

The behavioral interview was straightforward and reflected the topics suggested on the Capital One applicant page. The cases were also super straightforward - mine both reflected actual Capital One business issues.

All in all, a very efficient and pleasant process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to convince someone who disagreed with you to come around to your way of thinking?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in August 2016.

Interview

3 sessions of onsite interview: behavioral and 2 quantitative analysis interviews
    My last interview was officially the worst interview I've had and I've been in the workplace for 8 years.
    The interviewer was very unfriendly and looked like she did not want to be there. She was texting the whole session while I was solving the problem. She was supposed to assess how I worked the problem, and I don't see how she could while texting. Also, the whole process was about filtering people based on hypothetical problem solving and not about finding the right fit. Looking around the office environment, I sensed this process has given birth to a stuffy, awkward people.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One (Dallas, TX).

Interview

This company grinds through candidates like a machine - they're not quite in a rush to hire and so they run dozens of interviewees through their systematic process in hopes of finding the perfect candidate. I'm telling you this because if you're seriously looking for a job, make sure you don't just count on this one alone - keep it on the backburner if you have to in order to prioritize other jobs.

4 interviews on-site - 2 case and 2 behavioral. The behavioral ones were easy. Case interviews were challenging. I knocked one of them out 15 minutes ahead of time, and the interviewing manager seemed happy. I somewhat struggled on the other one, but the manager gave me some pointers, helping me to finish the exercise. I suppose that is the one that made me fall out. I read from other interviews that even if you mess up they will help you and it's not necessarily a KO, but that doesn't seem true in my case.

I didn't get word for almost 2 weeks after the on-site interview. It took lots of calls for the recruiter to just tell me that unfortunately it's a no go.

I've been through this before - companies like Google, LinkedIn, Amazon all like to run through their candidates like a meat grinder. But Capital One is no Google, so not sure why they're looking for stars when they're clearly not the leaders of their industry nor is their offer that appealing.

They also did not reimburse my expenses for 3 months, and that was only after NUMEROUS emails. Their customer support is just pathetic.

Overall a pretty tiring and waste-of-time experience IMO.

Interview Questions

• These were the most unique case interviews I've ever taken - they actually ask you old algebra questions, weighted averages, etc. things that make you think back to your freshman year of high school, some of which you have (unfortunately) forgotten.   1 Answer

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

It was very nicely arranged. Flights and limousine pick up and drop was arranged by the company travel agent. The process is very smooth on the campus. There were two case interviews and one behavioral interview. One of the associates took us for a campus tour post lunch as well. There was another round after lunch which included both case and behavioral interview. The idea is to be able to frame the mathematical equation correctly from a business situation and be able to change the levers as required for break even calculations. Knowledge of basic graphs is also required. The behavioral questions were around times where I collaborated with a team, dealt with a conflict and learned something new.

Interview Questions

• There was a wheat winnowing contracting company case where I had to find the best combination of equipment and volume to yield highest profitability. Another one was to find out the optimal default rate for profitability in case of a credit card customer who goes over-budget.   Answer Question