Capital One Senior Business Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Capital One Senior Business Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Feb 21, 2017

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA).

Interview

I got a call from Capital One, basically intend to schedule the upcoming on site interview.
I was send to McLean office for whole day interview. Two cases and one behavior. Cases are all about Capital One current business and product pricing strategy. I didn't get the chance to get to the final round which was supposed to be held after lunch.
Actually for all seven candidates that day, Capital One basically didn't pick anyone.

Interview Questions

• I've never practice case interview before, feel a little bit overwhelming by the cases. They are not easy to handle.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in September 2011.

Interview

The Interview process is fairly quick and they place a lot of emphasis on ability and not on skills.

First there is a call from a recruiter to reconfirm interest.

After this you take an online assessment, which for most anyone who is not afraid of math is not very difficult.

Then they fly you o DC or Richmond and set you up with 3 or 4 interviews.

1 interview will be a personality test which is more or less the same as all other interviews at other companies.

The other 2-3 interviews can only be compared to a simpler form of consulting interviews where they give you a case and you have to solve it and figure out the best way to sell something or save cost etc.

Interview Questions

• They gave me a question about airline telephones. They wanted me to evaluate the economics of buying out a company that provides telephone service that can be used on airplanes. The parameters were taken from the airline telephone industry back in the 90's when that industry was beginning to fail because of the growth spurt of cell phones.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in September 2010.

Interview

The interview process was very fast and standardized. I had a conversation with the recruiter on the phone for twice and then took the online test for both personality and quant skills (verbal & numeric, similar to GMAT). After I clear the test, i got a call from the recruiter and set a onsite interview a week later. The day on campus was very intensive. I got two case interviews (very quant but only focus on the credit card industry) and two behavioral interviews in the morning, then was taken to lunch by two employees with other interviewees. After lunch, I was informed I will be given another additional round of case interview. Three days later I got a call from the recruiter was offered the position. Generally speaking, how well you do in the case interview is much more import than how well you do in the behavioral interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you convince someone with different opinions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

Personality and Multiple Case Study interview - Given a classic Capital One Credit Card Case Study scenario and a random case study to test knowledge and adaptability to change. Capital One really tested our ability to think on the spot while the interviewer sat and watched us breakdown the problem asked.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (New York, NY).

Interview

Had multiple phone Interviews prior to an in-person super day. Each phone call consisted had a case study example that I had to solve over the phone. Other then that, the interview was smooth and classic behavior questions were asked. At the super day, I was interviewed by 3 different people. The first interview was a behavioral interview, asking questions about my experiences and how I reacted to certain situations. The next two interviews were case studies, one was credit card related and tied to what work the analyst does and the other was very random (I remember it being about farms and hay stacks.) Unfortunately, I did not receive an offer.

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

It was very nicely arranged. Flights and limousine pick up and drop was arranged by the company travel agent. The process is very smooth on the campus. There were two case interviews and one behavioral interview. One of the associates took us for a campus tour post lunch as well. There was another round after lunch which included both case and behavioral interview. The idea is to be able to frame the mathematical equation correctly from a business situation and be able to change the levers as required for break even calculations. Knowledge of basic graphs is also required. The behavioral questions were around times where I collaborated with a team, dealt with a conflict and learned something new.

Interview Questions

• There was a wheat winnowing contracting company case where I had to find the best combination of equipment and volume to yield highest profitability. Another one was to find out the optimal default rate for profitability in case of a credit card customer who goes over-budget.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One (Chicago, IL) in February 2016.

Interview

After a screening/informational phone interview with the Capital One recruiting contact, the contact sent materials to prepare for the interview, including example case and behavioral questions. The interview day included two 45-minute case interviews, a behavioral interview, and a less formal lunch and tour. Interview results followed about a week later.

Interview Questions

• The interview cases and behavioral questions were very consistent with the materials from the Capital One website and the documents & links the Capital One recruiting contact sent. The cases' subject matter is relatively straightforward, especially if you are familiar with profit/loss/break-even analyses and setting up & solving algebraic expressions. Despite this fairness and relative predictability, passing the cases is challenging.   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One in April 2015.

Interview

2 case interviews, 2 behavioral interviews. Started at 9 am, and my interviewer was 35 minutes late. Next interviewer was 15 minutes late. Neither apologized, both were very rude. Not a very impressive experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One (Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA).

Interview

Two cases and one behavioral. The emphasis was on passing the case- they have very specific criteria and aren't flexible about creative approaches. Even if you kill the behavioral, you can't get an offer without passing both cases. My case interviewer kept on looking at the window it was definitely not a case interviewer who redirected me if I headed in the wrong direction.

Interview Questions

• A finance case and a shipping case   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

1. Initial Phone interview,
    2. Power day on site (2 business case interviews, 1 behavioral Interview) (8 am to 3 pm)
    3. Phone interview with managing director of department I was applying for (2 Hours)
    4. Power day on site (1 business case interview, 3 behavioral interviews) (8 am to 3 pm)
    5. Job offer.

Interview Questions

• Pretty much standard behavioral interviews, they want to figure out why you do things. They drill down.   1 Answer