Capital One Senior Business Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 21, 2017

3.3

68 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

Personality and Multiple Case Study interview - Given a classic Capital One Credit Card Case Study scenario and a random case study to test knowledge and adaptability to change. Capital One really tested our ability to think on the spot while the interviewer sat and watched us breakdown the problem asked.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in August 2016.

Interview

3 sessions of onsite interview: behavioral and 2 quantitative analysis interviews
    My last interview was officially the worst interview I've had and I've been in the workplace for 8 years.
    The interviewer was very unfriendly and looked like she did not want to be there. She was texting the whole session while I was solving the problem. She was supposed to assess how I worked the problem, and I don't see how she could while texting. Also, the whole process was about filtering people based on hypothetical problem solving and not about finding the right fit. Looking around the office environment, I sensed this process has given birth to a stuffy, awkward people.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (New York, NY).

Interview

Had multiple phone Interviews prior to an in-person super day. Each phone call consisted had a case study example that I had to solve over the phone. Other then that, the interview was smooth and classic behavior questions were asked. At the super day, I was interviewed by 3 different people. The first interview was a behavioral interview, asking questions about my experiences and how I reacted to certain situations. The next two interviews were case studies, one was credit card related and tied to what work the analyst does and the other was very random (I remember it being about farms and hay stacks.) Unfortunately, I did not receive an offer.

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in August 2016.

Interview

There was a phone screen followed by an invitation to an in-person "Power Day" at the Capital One offices.

Power Day consisted of three before-lunch interviews (two case, one behavioral) followed by lunch with a current associate. An additional after-lunch interview could occur of the interviewers want additional information or have not been able to make a final decision (in favor or against) about the candidate. The after-lunch interview could be behavioral, case, or some combination, depending on the unique situation.

The behavioral interview was straightforward and reflected the topics suggested on the Capital One applicant page. The cases were also super straightforward - mine both reflected actual Capital One business issues.

All in all, a very efficient and pleasant process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to convince someone who disagreed with you to come around to your way of thinking?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in March 2016.

Interview

I was interviewed for the whole morning. two case interviews and one behavioral. The case interviews were like more about math problems, so I guess you have to give an exact number at the end, and don't over prepare with books like case in point, they don't expect you to analyze the strategy. Behavioral questions were not difficult, questions listed on this site was really helpful, remember to STAR all your past experiences.

Interview Questions

• Q: Tell me about a time you introduced a new technology to your team.
      Q: Tell me about your biggest failure
      Q: Tell me about a time...   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One (Dallas, TX).

Interview

This company grinds through candidates like a machine - they're not quite in a rush to hire and so they run dozens of interviewees through their systematic process in hopes of finding the perfect candidate. I'm telling you this because if you're seriously looking for a job, make sure you don't just count on this one alone - keep it on the backburner if you have to in order to prioritize other jobs.

4 interviews on-site - 2 case and 2 behavioral. The behavioral ones were easy. Case interviews were challenging. I knocked one of them out 15 minutes ahead of time, and the interviewing manager seemed happy. I somewhat struggled on the other one, but the manager gave me some pointers, helping me to finish the exercise. I suppose that is the one that made me fall out. I read from other interviews that even if you mess up they will help you and it's not necessarily a KO, but that doesn't seem true in my case.

I didn't get word for almost 2 weeks after the on-site interview. It took lots of calls for the recruiter to just tell me that unfortunately it's a no go.

I've been through this before - companies like Google, LinkedIn, Amazon all like to run through their candidates like a meat grinder. But Capital One is no Google, so not sure why they're looking for stars when they're clearly not the leaders of their industry nor is their offer that appealing.

They also did not reimburse my expenses for 3 months, and that was only after NUMEROUS emails. Their customer support is just pathetic.

Overall a pretty tiring and waste-of-time experience IMO.

Interview Questions

• These were the most unique case interviews I've ever taken - they actually ask you old algebra questions, weighted averages, etc. things that make you think back to your freshman year of high school, some of which you have (unfortunately) forgotten.   1 Answer

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Interview

i) Phone interview - typical - nice recruiter, wanted to know about the resume back story and provided further detail on the company
    ii) Super Day - typical - 2 cases (quantitatively driven) and one fit interview. Pleasant and congenial throughout. Less co-operative than other case interview setups, in that the interviewer was less interested in discussion and more interested in hearing your thinking out loud. Notes were retained at the end of each session.

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

It was very nicely arranged. Flights and limousine pick up and drop was arranged by the company travel agent. The process is very smooth on the campus. There were two case interviews and one behavioral interview. One of the associates took us for a campus tour post lunch as well. There was another round after lunch which included both case and behavioral interview. The idea is to be able to frame the mathematical equation correctly from a business situation and be able to change the levers as required for break even calculations. Knowledge of basic graphs is also required. The behavioral questions were around times where I collaborated with a team, dealt with a conflict and learned something new.

Interview Questions

• There was a wheat winnowing contracting company case where I had to find the best combination of equipment and volume to yield highest profitability. Another one was to find out the optimal default rate for profitability in case of a credit card customer who goes over-budget.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One (Chicago, IL) in February 2016.

Interview

After a screening/informational phone interview with the Capital One recruiting contact, the contact sent materials to prepare for the interview, including example case and behavioral questions. The interview day included two 45-minute case interviews, a behavioral interview, and a less formal lunch and tour. Interview results followed about a week later.

Interview Questions

• The interview cases and behavioral questions were very consistent with the materials from the Capital One website and the documents & links the Capital One recruiting contact sent. The cases' subject matter is relatively straightforward, especially if you are familiar with profit/loss/break-even analyses and setting up & solving algebraic expressions. Despite this fairness and relative predictability, passing the cases is challenging.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in November 2015.

Interview

One case interview and a behavioral interview. The behavioral questions were fairly straightforward and did not come from the set of questions they had provided. I was not impressed with the nature of writing down everything a candidate was saying because it felt like I was narrating a story. The interviewer was amazing, but the nature of the interviews were somewhat very structured.The case interview was about a credit card company and the interviewer did a good job of walking me through the case at the beginning, but towards the end he seemed disinterested.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you went above and beyond, credit card case with different consumer segments.   Answer Question